ARB Awning on Factory Roof Rack/Bars (100 and 200 Series) (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Woody,
How is the ARB awning / factory roof rack holding up? My main question is whether the Awning rubs or touches the paint any?
Thanks,
Mine is holding up great with only 2 L brackets (only 2 crossbars on stock roof rack). If you have aftermarket and 3 crossbars you can do 3 L brackets but 2 is plenty for me. I have the 2500x2500.

Yes, a tiny part of the awning mounting rail touches the paint on the roof rack, so i would stick some sort of thin adhesive padding or something where I took the first picture.

2nd picture is to show bolts clearing roof rack, as well as to show that only the soft parts of the awning are touching outside of the spot I noted above.

23E67FF8-122D-4993-ABA1-9A2C0AAC3B91.jpeg

2DC60E3E-A755-4E3E-BA9D-E2F431C37FDD.jpeg

Good Info

Too complicated for my taste. I like to keep things simple. Rivnuts on the OE cross bars, speed knobs, done. It takes me longer to take the awning down from the hooks I store them on to actually install them on the 100. 120seconds MAX. $10 in parts. And when removed, all you have are knobs on the crossbars IF you elect to keep them threaded on.

If you have the OE knob used to fasten/release the driver side of the crossbar as found on some OE racks(not sure when this was introduced) you’ll see that they used a...rivnut....from the factory. So why not just follow that design. So I have 4 cross bars(2 more than stock) and each has two additional rivnuts installed. I can fasten each bracket with 3 speed knobs if needed (1 OE) but that really is overkill. It’s not going anywhere with two brackets and 2 knobs each. The additional rivnuts are there for other type of mounts, etc., that can be used to fasten, hold, whatever.

It’s an Ironman but mounting will work with ARB and others.

38BF539D-E692-4CF3-8590-1C7484459C36.jpeg

86FC2C4D-303B-4FAE-9A8F-C54E436C786C.jpeg

7D375A19-6E20-4E2A-8C93-FF09594F101E.jpeg

E6DC1A06-5FA1-48FB-A725-9173BC6CCCC3.jpeg

46605C2D-D373-457E-B3CF-0FAB06568602.jpeg

Last edited:
Too complicated for my taste. I like to keep things simple. Rivnuts on the OE cross bars, speed knobs, done. It takes me longer to take the awning down from the hooks I store them on to actually install them on the 100. 120seconds MAX. $10 in parts. And when removed, all you have are knobs on the crossbars IF you elect to keep them threaded on.

If you have the OE knob used to fasten/release the driver side of the crossbar as found on some OE racks(not sure when this was introduced) you’ll see that they used a...rivnut....from the factory. So why not just follow that design. So I have 4 cross bars(2 more than stock) and each has two additional rivnuts installed. I can fasten each bracket with 3 speed knobs if needed (1 OE) but that really is overkill. It’s not going anywhere with two brackets and 2 knobs each. The additional rivnuts are there for other type of mounts, etc., that can be used to fasten, hold, whatever.

View attachment 2409405

View attachment 2409406

View attachment 2409407

View attachment 2409408

View attachment 2409409

Demerits for posting a pic with a Range Rover and a Jeep in it.

Well done! This is the cleanest option I have seen so far. Did those L brackets come with the Iron man awning?

View attachment 2409405

View attachment 2409406

View attachment 2409407

View attachment 2409408

View attachment 2409409

@ClassyJalopy - Yes, Ironman includes 3 brackets for the 2.5m (not sure about the 2.0m).

Couple notes about the installation:
1. With rivnuts, it's critical that you come very close to the OD of the rivnut when you drill the hole. Try for a perfect slip fit otherwise the clamping force will be degraded with too large a hole. If you don't have the correct bit, don't just go over to the next size, buy the proper bit. I recommend doing it on a press or a very very steady hand, you want a perfectly straight hole for maximum hold.
2. You don't need a tool, just get grade 8 bolt and nut to set the rivnut - search google, plenty of vids on this trick.

Couple pics mounted:

CD4A6394-8560-4CA9-A6C9-278686CEA868.jpeg

18A4437D-E4B6-40C8-98CF-66C4B9E17187.jpeg

Last edited:
@ClassyJalopy - Yes, Ironman includes 3 brackets for the 2.5m (not sure about the 2.0m).

Couple notes about the installation:
1. With rivnuts, it's critical that you come very close to the OD of the rivnut when you drill the hole. Try for a perfect slip fit otherwise the clamping force will be degraded with too large a hole. If you don't have the correct bit, don't just go over to the next size, buy the proper bit. I recommend doing it on a press or a very very steady hand, you want a perfectly straight hole for maximum hold.
2. You don't need a tool, just get grade 8 bolt and nut to set the rivnut - search google, plenty of vids on this trick.

Couple pics mounted:

View attachment 2414535

View attachment 2414536

My awnings already mounted but I was thinking the same thing, love the idea @ClassyJalopy. I’m going to borrow it for mounting other things in the future. I wonder how many holes I can drill before the integrity of the bars become affected.

My awnings already mounted but I was thinking the same thing, love the idea @ClassyJalopy. I’m going to borrow it for mounting other things in the future. I wonder how many holes I can drill before the integrity of the bars become affected.
thanks @kwon-offroad
Me too, I am thinking about adding two more cross bars and then mount a cargo box, traction boards, an axe and a shovel and an awning. We'll see how that goes.

You can get away with a number of them before anything starts to break. If you look at the profile of the crossbar, the leading and trailing edges are braced, so where you are drilling is not carrying all the load, just spanning the braced edges. But yes, it is a system so there’s a limit.

Just be aware that it’s aluminum plate that is holding the rivnut. It will have a force limit. The rivnut will pop before the crossbar fails. But we’re still talking some heavy forces for that to happen.

Edit: On the braced profile, for a 2006 OE rack that has an original fastening knob on the driver side. I can’t speak to others that don’t have this knob from OE. May be the same, may not.

Edit: Interesting data. I installed SS rivnuts and the upset load is in the 3000lb range...so yeah, maybe the crossbar will fail before the rivnut :oops:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom