Applying 50/50 Transmission fluid and Acetone (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lp2k

Had a couple of drinks.. saw a couple of things
Threads
Hey everyone so when your about to remove a fastener on a vehicle that visibly shows signs of rust or may look fine but the fastener has been known to snap, applying penetrating oil helps.

well the old fashion solution of 50/50 transmission fluid and acetone also tends to loosen rust and help fasteners come out.

my question is how do you all safely store this concoction or do most of you make it fresh as you go?
I got this little oiler from Amazon which was crap and didn’t even pump any of the fluid out. So I’d like to see if anyone is using this solution, the shelf life, and how they are putting it into a container so it can be sprayed onto fastners

thanks y’all

Get a sprayer that’s designed to spray cooking oil? I think the orifice size matters for the thicker fluid.

I'm guessing you don't want an oiler/sprayer that can't be closed hermetically if you're dealing with acetone.

I use sure shot for solvents around the shop but if your looking for a less expensive way to store and apply different concoctions this is a good option.

They also sell extra jars and lids so you can label and store them until you need them. The cartages are also found individually or buy as larger kits.
Found in Ace, Home Depot , and most any DIY store as well as Amazon. I've used this product for touching up paint with decent results but for spaying home made penetrating oil, this would work too.
BTW, this stuff is my go to:
Amazon product ASIN B00022VY74

I make it as I go and use a small plastic dropper bottle, probably made by Nalgene. Maybe 2" tall by 1"diameter. The small bottle can fit anywhere I can get my hand and keeps me from dousing everything around the problem bolt. The bottle has a cap for the spout but it's obvious after a couple days that it still allows the acetone to evaporate from the mix.

I keep the acetone / ATF mix in a sealed bottle. When I need to use it, I shake it up and pour a little in a solo cup. I apply with a cheap chip brush. Brush, cup and bottle of mix all occupy the same section of shelf in my storage cabinet.

THANK YOU ALL for this. Going to do a little shopping and see what works best. There aren’t any mechanics in my social circle so learning all of this is self rewarding

TBH, I think that a sprayer with compressed gas for something like this seems like a vast overkill. But if you think you may end up having to spray large areas -which I can't see myself doing- there are sprayers that can be pumped manually. No recurring cost.

If you deal with acetone, not every plastic container will do.

When that Amazon POS oiler failed, I had to resort to using a cap from the laundry detergent to hold my 50/50 mix and apply it with a nylon brush from HF. Needless to say the plastic cap was disintegrating

I usually use a brush for penetrating fluid. Much less potential mess than an "oiler" can.

I have about a dozen of these things strewn about my machine shop. Each manual machine has one plus one on each bench near a vise. I use them for cutting oil, but they would work well for your atf mixture as well I'm sure.

They used to be sold for a few bucks a piece on Amazon, but I couldn't find them. You cannot spill them. You can throw it across the room and it won't break or spill.

I've done the baby food jar then brush it on. But I like the idea of those kitchen oil spray cans that you pump up yourself, as long as the acetone doesn't cause issues with the materials that it has in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom