anyone using the Slee stripper pole tire mount? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I made one too from some scraps in my junk pile. The tube runs from the seat bracket on the wheel well up to the grab bar holes. The tire mount is a piece of a former junk bike rack. I found that if I raised the tire up 4 inches off the floor that it would tuck in closer to the window by 2-3 inches. It might have taken an hour to make not counting the time to let the paint dry. It has been on a lot of wheeling trips and it hasn't budged and it doesn't make a squeek.

That is 315/75/16 tire.
001.jpg
002.jpg

Last edited:
To those using straps to secure the tire, arent there some safety issues??

I mean, if I had my tire secured by ratchet straps and I had to catch a stretch of highway, small as it may be, id be scared s***less knowing that, in the even of a crash (god forbid) that is not entirely secure and you can have 70 pounds of spare wheel that might be coming to hit you hard & fast

70 pounds of anything can create a tremendous amount of force and I wouldnt be comfortable knowing its only held on by straps, whatever their rating may be.

Its pretty obvious you can strap your tire down in the back, I don't think it takes a bunch of "me too" pics to show us how to use a ratchet strap.

The real issue is SAFETY. Do you trust some rachet straps to keep your tire from becoming a missile when you are in an accident???

I think not. Securely fasten your tire, or get it out of the passenger compartment.

these straps hold 4wheelers, motorcycles ,and countless other pieces of heavy equipment securely in truck beds and on trailers in accidents all the time. I think they can handle a 70lb tire.

^^. That's what I have for 345/75/16 and can attest to it's integrity.

Recent excursion left me deep in the rocks with no power steering, so had to exit the trail down what would be a 5 coming up.

An miscalculated drop off one ledge sent a 6 pack or water flying from the cargo bay, directly at my head ( I know, I know ) and, I'm speculating air from resi was drawn into the brake lines, since they became sponges after.

Tire was still secured on MTBCoach's mount, just as I expected it would be.

20lb tank won't secure behind, though. Two tens would've been a better choice.

I was concerned with my spare being held with ratchet straps. I placed and secured a fridge between me and the spare for safety.
thumb.gif

The design of the slee pole holds the tire too far away from the wheel well IMO. Other designs (linked on this thread) hold the spare tight against the wheel well giving more usable space.

I run the spare on the passenger side and have for about 3 years. I have not experienced any issues thus far.

Last edited:
You are just cheap, don't try to justify being cheap by convincing us what you are doing is "OK".

By your line of thinking we should just be ratchet strapping the 3rd row seats. That'll make them easier to remove and they'll still be good for...what....a 5 yr old?? 70lb's right?

Sorry dudes, I don't gamble with my family's safety. When we get rear ended at 50 MPH I want my spare secured.

these straps hold 4wheelers, motorcycles ,and countless other pieces of heavy equipment securely in truck beds and on trailers in accidents all the time. I think they can handle a 70lb tire.

You are just cheap, don't try to justify being cheap by convincing us what you are doing is "OK".

By your line of thinking we should just be ratchet strapping the 3rd row seats. That'll make them easier to remove and they'll still be good for...what....a 5 yr old?? 70lb's right?

Sorry dudes, I don't gamble with my family's safety. When we get rear ended at 50 MPH I want my spare secured.

lets see your rear storage set up. do you secure anything to your roof? how? have a rear bumper with anything attached to it?

I am cheap, and poor. and my spare is in the stock location I was simply stating that a ratchet strap rated for holding weight by the ton is plenty, I would worry about the bracket ripping out of the sheet metal before worrying about the strap. by the way your 5 year old is over weight. :flipoff2:

I would worry about the bracket ripping out of the sheet metal before worrying about the strap.

This. Some people just have to over-analyze everything. Ridiculous. If straps don't make you feel warm-n-fuzzy, don't use them. Move on.

Now that is funny. Aren't you also relying on STRAPS to keep your family secured in their seats in the event of a crash? Seats belts. Pfft. What were they thinking? :bang:

Are you seriously comparing seat belts to ratchet straps?

What grand illusion are you living in?

Now that is funny. Aren't you also relying on STRAPS to keep your family secured in their seats in the event of a crash? Seats belts. Pfft. What were they thinking? :bang:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom