Anyone seen a pop top on a 60? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am considering modifying our FJ60 by adding a pop top. I have only found 70's and 80's with pop tops.

I found a French manufacturer that makes some interesting fiberglass aftermarket parts including a pop top for 70's and 80's but alas no 60 series...

Anyone?

Hood and pop top
Copie%20de%20IMG_2841.jpg

Interesting tailgate replacement
IMG_2849_small.jpg

and side window replacement for a 60.
rangement-vitre004.jpg

rangement-vitre002.jpg

There was a guy on Pirate a couple months back that grafted a Vanagon poptop onto a Cherokee. Turned out nicely.

Just thinking here, but the 80 pop top should work on a 60, since the roof on the 60 is significantly larger. Any idea of the weight?

I have sent e-mails to 2 German companies and 1 Italian company. The main problem is I do not think I can afford to send the 60 to europe for the install and it seems like they won't ship the top (not that I can afford it), much less design plans or blueprints :hillbilly:. I am considering fabbing the pop top somewhere in South America or maybe Panama.

This is an interesting specimen that one of the companies manufactures. They are selling this beast of a 200 series for 120,000 euro (roughly $144K)!
VDJ200-TR444-3.JPG

I sent a message to the SoCal guys that makes one for the Honda Element... Theirs had a lower profile... eCamp. Will let you know what they say...

I can't remember who posted them up but about 6 -9 months back someone on this sub forum posted up a ton of pics from German/ Scandanavian events where there were a ton of examples of pop tops from all years. I think the only one I didn't see reepresented was a pop top for a 40! I wish that I could remember who, maybe sonke.:hmm:

Edit:
Found this. See post #9 for a couple of pics of a pop top on a 60.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/204765-has-anyone-done-60-62-a-2.html

Using the search function I even found a pic of a guy who did this to his long bed 40 series.

Good Luck

Last edited:
Westfalia pop top from a bay window VW bus would be your best bet. I've debated this many times but my giant roof tent wins as it allows more room for our family of 5. Sleeping 5 inside the 60 even with a pop top and 2 Westy cots, just doesn't work for us logisically. It would be cool as hell though. I thought someone here was doing this conversion. I'll hafta dig some...

OK upon further review my memory is really quite faulty on this point. :eek: Here are complete threads on pop tops on 40 series, the Germans are mad for it: In at least one pic in the background I see a 60, but not with a top up:doh:.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/fj45-owners-club/245935-j45-german-buschtaxi-treffen-08-a-3.html

https://forum.ih8mud.com/expedition-builds/245430-travelling-cruisers-7.html

I would definitely pm Soenke and ask him if he knows of anyone who has done this to a 60 over in Europe. As you have noted and can see in the pics they are wild to do this to 40s and 70s and 80s. It seems odd that they never touched the 60 series. I have to think that they did but those pics and rigs are sitting in a garage somewhere in favor of newer, faster stuff. ( just an expression not an opinion)
:cheers:

I have seen pics of them, but can't find them in the personal gallery of mine. Maybe it was in the Das Grosse Land Cruiser Buch bible.

I believe this one pops up, I think you should go that direction. :D

40180_002.jpg

:meh:
I have seen pics of them, but can't find them in the personal gallery of mine. Maybe it was in the Das Grosse Land Cruiser Buch bible.

I believe this one pops up, I think you should go that direction. :D

40180_002.jpg

To the folks who don't know, this is a hearse and a very ornate one at that. Most of the ones that I have seen here have similar structures but made of almost all glass with steel support structure so that the deceased can be viewed in almost 360 degrees as he rolls on to his final rest in the back of a (mostly) Hilux.:meh:

:meh:

To the folks who don't know, this is a hearse and a very ornate one at that. Most of the ones that I have seen here have similar structures but made of almost all glass with steel support structure so that the deceased can be viewed in almost 360 degrees as he rolls on to his final rest in the back of a (mostly) Hilux.:meh:

When I die they must take me to the cemetery in one of these. :beer:

Old thread, but I have seen a 60 around town with a VW westfalia top that appeared to be from the 80's style van. Looked like a pretty good fit, but I never saw it in action.

I saved a picture off of the internet of the westy-fj60 conversion but every time I see this subject come up here I can never seem to find it. I'll keep looking.

Meanwhile, check out this link for a euro company that does these conversions.

MotorHomes and Campers UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom