Looking for 60s, 80s, and 100s to customize. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been slowly growing Warfield Off-Road over the last year, and happily it has done rather well. Even in this slow economy I have managed to move product. Over the last year I have been focusing on drawer systems and the 80 series center console. In 2010 I plan to bring the center console to market, and continue with drawer system's development. But I really want to build a pop top or camper cruiser. Eventually, I would like to produce pop-tops and campers for the US market. I would love to go out and buy a couple of rigs to build up and then sell when completed, but I don't have the capital for that. So I am looking for anyone that is interested in building a pop-top or camper, you bring your truck, I will provide a custom design and my skilled labor. I would also be interested in doind any other type of custom modification.

Thanks

This is something I've kicked around for a few years. I've restored old VWs for 25 years so I'm always eyeballing the Wesphalia tops at the shows and creeping around with a tape measure :D

I' PM you my cell number. Give me a call and let me know what you're thinking about building. We may be able to make something work.

I am interested.
A friend of mine just came up with a hinge mechanism you could incorporate as well.

I will PM you my contact info...

I've said many times, if the german company that made them over seas was available here, i'd sell the trailer and already have dropped off the 80 for conversion. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

This is what i want to do NEXT>..

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35585

Last edited:
I have had enough interest in this that I am going to work up some hard numbers for a "first run" of 80 series pop-top convertions. This will be a price that reflects the estimated cost of materials, labor (to pay my welder) and a tent.
I am thinking of somthing like this possibly a lower profile Toyota HDJ 80

If I was supposed to contact you and did not please forgive me. I have been having computer trouble the problem has been resolved and now I am ready to go. I lost my e-mails so please re-contact me. Thanks.

I have been working on this idea with my 80, and another camper for a customer, I have been realy having a crazy time at work so I have not made as much progress as I would like but I hope to somthing ready to take pictures of in the next month or so.

Why not consider a Maggiolina roof top tent grafted into the roof of a 60 or an 80? That gets you the top, fabric and lift system. The bottom of the roof top camper can be grafted to the vehicle to act as the base. Then you are working with a proven tent/lift system like the Westphalia, but the Medium or Medium long size might be a better fit for a cruiser roof.

Becouse i can make somthing that is perfectly intergrated and is larger larger then an rtt that has been grafted in.

Ok I have had a change in direction. I will be doing a lot more body work then I had planned. going for a very stock look, rather then a scabbed on pop top.

I am working on this project with every extra moment I have, I have desided on fiberglass becouse it is light and strong, it does not rust and does have corrosion problems like Alu would.

At this time I do not have pictures, I just changed directions with this project so it has set me back a little but it is well worth the extra time, The finish product will be exceptional.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom