Anyone seen a pop top on a 60? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Try this:Custom Campers - Toyota J6
Helps to be a German, sometimes:)
Matt

You are the man Matt. That is exactly what I was looking for. I have been on Tom's site a ton of times and never found this set of pics. Exactly what I want.

Now can you help me find out how much he would want for the conversion :D?

EDIT: I just realized the website was recently redesigned and the 60 gallery is new... what a sweet looking rig.

Last edited:
may be this helps too, homemade :

[www.buschtaxi.de] - Thema anzeigen - 4Runner mit Camping-Aufstelldach - Der Umbaubericht

would be almost the same on a 60.

two more...the standard version

Toyota HJ 60

and with the roof extended over the windscreen
Auto_10

5119035.jpg

met them in Iceland

Last edited:
Here ya go. Obviously you could do a better job of fastening the thing but what a great fit and low cost alternative.;)
fj60wstfla1.jpg
fj60wstfla2.jpg
fj60wstfla3.jpg

POP up Thingy

You are the man Matt. That is exactly what I was looking for. I have been on Tom's site a ton of times and never found this set of pics. Exactly what I want.

Now can you help me find out how much he would want for the conversion :D?

EDIT: I just realized the website was recently redesigned and the 60 gallery is new... what a sweet looking rig.

Hi,

there is quit a lot good companies in Germany-which provide all the stuff for the crazy "Globetrotter". And there are a lot of them. I think that "SOENKE" is a definetly experienced "Custumer". I remember some of his old cars( by reading about it). So he can advise better. I can help out with getting things organized, can talk with someone if needed, and can support with ouer Freightchannels.

But there is something, something different in good old germany.

And please try to understand what i try to say,whitout thinking i am kinda.........arrogant.

The people are usualy good educated, not only "american style experienced-".....i know what i do....", the have a **** of insurences to pay, taxes and alot more. And the Things they sell are usualy aproved, certificated and...
You need alot things organized in case of running a company and selling car stuff.

It is probably expensiver than expected.:beer:

I give you this, as a example:popcorn:
EXKAB - Die Expeditions Kabine

and they have a pricelist too:

---------just go to prices:)( edited here, link didnt work)

I have something like this in my mind, but not now:rolleyes:first:wrench::wrench::wrench::wrench::wrench::wrench::wrench: and than:wrench::wrench::wrench::wrench::wrench::wrench::wrench:

Matt

pop top

my westy on my troopie,soon to be finished
P1010677.jpg
P1010678.jpg

Here ya go. Obviously you could do a better job of fastening the thing but what a great fit and low cost alternative.;)

my westy on my troopie,soon to be finished

Guys,
I´m more of a lurker on this thread:grinpimp: being a 40 owner and all but I´m confused re: the westy on a 60/ troopy setup. Thinking back to my Dad´s VW´s as a kid, the westy pop top over the VW or Vanagon was basically a roof that opened up to bring more light, air and headroom into the main vehicle body. The main vehicle body had some sitting/sleeping area and a small cooking space. I don´t remember that you could climb up into the pop top and sleep in it, like a RTT. I remember my brother and I standing up in the pop top more like we were looking out of a tank turret. Is that what you guys are planning on doing with your 60 and troopy, cutting the roof open, attaching the westy pop top or are you guys modifying the westy pop top to make it a RTT?:hmm:
Thanks

Guys,
I´m more of a lurker on this thread:grinpimp: being a 40 owner and all but I´m confused re: the westy on a 60/ troopy setup. Thinking back to my Dad´s VW´s as a kid, the westy pop top over the VW or Vanagon was basically a roof that opened up to bring more light, air and headroom into the main vehicle body. The main vehicle body had some sitting/sleeping area and a small cooking space. I don´t remember that you could climb up into the pop top and sleep in it, like a RTT. I remember my brother and I standing up in the pop top more like we were looking out of a tank turret. Is that what you guys are planning on doing with your 60 and troopy, cutting the roof open, attaching the westy pop top or are you guys modifying the westy pop top to make it a RTT?:hmm:
Thanks

My folks had a couple westfalias growing up, and a euro-van camper, and all of them had a sleeping platform inside the pop-up. So it's like a roof top tent, but you climb in from inside the vehicle rather than climbing up on the roof.

Mine is a RTT type setup,that can only be gotten into from the outside ladder.

custom campers response

I just emailed custom campers (Custom Campers) asking about an HZJ75 pop-top and whether he would send to the USA. His reply: ========= I think its to much!! The Roof costs up from 5000 euros without options!! Like Sky light Bed cunstruction etc and more!! Regards from Germany. Ralf ========= 5,000 Euros is almost $7,000, and with options and shipping and then installation, it would be well over $10k, probably closer to $15K. Also, I contacted GTRV, who do van pop-top and high-tops and they said: ========= Here's the info you need....you are most correct in assuming that there is nothing like this available to my knowledge. We would either have to make an entirely new mold for your vehicle or try to adapt one of our existing molds. Making a new one runs us about 10k then we have to make the top(s) we use a skin over the roof you have that forms a bed for the new top to sit in leaving a very smooth line, then install it. All said and done it's a 2 month project costing about 20k...worth it? Probably not.... ========= That roof-top tent is looking better all the time! Cheers, Chris.

I can do a Alu. pop tops right now, and we are working on fiberglass options for down the line. If interested e-mail charles@warfieldoffroad.com

Oi! you're with Warfield? I really like your drawer systems! If I ever get close to wrapping up my FJ monstrosity, I'll definitely drop you a line on some drawers.
Anyway, hijack over.

something like this
poptop4.png

poptop3.png

poptop2.png

That look awesome Hawkeye! How much are you thinking of selling that for? Is it possible to buy it as a kit and have it shipped (like to Bolivia :p ) with installation instructions or are you going to do all the installs yourself?

That would make my BJ so practical for the trips we take :idea:

:meh:

To the folks who don't know, this is a hearse and a very ornate one at that. Most of the ones that I have seen here have similar structures but made of almost all glass with steel support structure so that the deceased can be viewed in almost 360 degrees as he rolls on to his final rest in the back of a (mostly) Hilux.:meh:

I bet people are dying to get into one of those!!!

I bet people are dying to get into one of those!!!

:rolleyes: Wasn´t that originally a Shecky Green or Henny Youngman line:) Followed by the equally famous "Take my wife...please":cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom