Anyone painted their tie rod, drag link, panhards, links, etc? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While I have everything apart I'm thinking about adding an accent color under the rig. Nothing crazy, probably just the tie rod and drag link. I searched for photos but nothing came up, though I know I've seen pics here of all of these items painted before.

If you've done this I'd like to see some photos along which paint, which method you used for paint/prep, how long ago it was done, and how well it's held up :)

Check the 100 forum, sounds like something they'd be all over. ;)

I just scuffed mine with a Scotch -Brite pad, wiped it down with acetone, and gave it a few coats with Rust-Oleum gloss black. Here in southern Arizona that should be good for 15 years. Any other color than black is going to be something you need to clean or retouch to keep looking good.

I just scuffed mine with a Scotch -Brite pad, wiped it down with acetone, and gave it a few coats with Rust-Oleum gloss black. Here in southern Arizona that should be good for 15 years.
Yup, pretty much the same here, except the first coat was a metal-etching primer. Simple and easy.

Touch-up while the links are installed is easy...just hold a piece of cardboard behind where you're spraying to keep the overspray from getting out of hand.

My opinion is that it can make the truck look lower. If all that junk disappears and blends in then you DONT notice it and the truck appears taller. Noticed that with skid plates a lot of the time.

I ordered a bud-built rod and link years ago and painted them machinery grey. I liked it. I don’t have any pictures though.

Just paint them whatever flavor you like. Many have just painted them while "refreshing" the undercarriage, etc. Pick a color and go :). @jcardona1 comes to mind.

I installed new (raw metal) tie rod and drag links in the front. Primed with 2x coats of Krylon black primer and then 2x coats of VHT Roll Bar and Chassis Paint which is an epoxy style paint. I've used the VHT stuff on all my brackets under the truck and it's all held up very well but my rear sway bard drop brackets have taken a decent rock-peening over the years. Time to touch that up I suppose.

I did all mine but just went with black. After removing heavy dirt and grease I wiped with acetone, sanded with 120 grit, wiped with acetone again then sprayed with 2 coats rustoleum primer and 2 coats rustoleum gloss black. Look great but its only been about 6 months. They did survive the last wheeling trip without too much damage.
lift 2.jpg

I used the wife’s nail polish to mark jam nuts.

Otherwise no. The amount of time to keep a “cool color” clean would piss me off.

Mine isn’t a show-truck. It’s rad tool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom