Fusible link help urgent 🙏 (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The smaller black wire from the fusible link block melts when I connect power during a jump start. In the picture it is the wire that was soldered together. What are my next steps and parts required?
Also what does the soldered wire go to that may be compromised?

In the second image is a red wire(I think it was originally black) without this wire car will not run. Any idea what it’s for?

Not sure since your picture didn't appear to work, but here are a couple threads that might help. I already had these open as I am dealing with a similar problem.

Black looks like it is to the alt

Edit - I didn't even notice I was in the 80 forum :| .

Last edited:
No pictures

IMG_1528.jpeg

Not sure since your picture didn't appear to work, but here are a couple threads that might help. I already had these open as I am dealing with a similar problem.

Pictures re-posted

Honestly, I have to wonder what people were thinking when doing stuff like that. It's about $30 in parts to do it correctly.
You need to return to a stock configuration. Please purchase a new set of fusible links (90982-08264), a new junction box (82670-60040).
The cut white/red stripe wire should connect to fusible link AM2 and feeds the ignition circuit.
Please download the correct Toyota manuals (FSM and EWD) for your vehicle from the resources section.

1706534472294.png

1706534559497.png

As @jonheld said, you are best to go back to stock and work from there. IMO the current setup is just asking for a fire as it bypasses Toyota designed safety measures. Here is a picture of the part that should be there.

I always keep an extra in my glove box as well since they are prone to go out at inconvenient times.

fusible link.jpg

The smaller black wire from the fusible link block melts when I connect power during a jump start. In the picture it is the wire that was soldered together. What are my next steps and parts required?

In the second image is a red wire(I think it was originally black) without this wire car will not run. Any idea what it’s for?
Another thing to note is that fusible links are not "just wire". They are specifically designed to be inline, flameproof fuses. As noted on the drawing I posted earlier, there are 3 in the bundle that connect to the positive battery terminal.
PINK=30 amps
BLACK=80 amps
BLUE=100 amps

I thought mine was bad when I finally replaced it! 26 years is a pretty good run. :lol:

Honestly, I have to wonder what people were thinking when doing stuff like that.
I assume that's what industrial maintenance people refer to as a "temporary" repair. Experience has shown that the acceptable lifespan for a temporary repair is, "as long as it will work like that". I always wonder if some of these people have tarps covering their roofs at home.

Something I've been wondering is where are these two fusible links located? The three close to the battery are easy to find. Are these two wrapped into the loom? That doesn't make sense.

Screenshot_20240129_195215_Chrome~2.jpg

Edit - I didn't even notice I was in the 80 forum :| .
I thought mine was bad when I finally replaced it! 26 years is a pretty good run. :lol: not a ad :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

1706588008587.png

1706588035743.png

1706588054212.png

1706588105055.png

1706588120804.png

Something I've been wondering is where are these two fusible links located? The three close to the battery are easy to find. Are these two wrapped into the loom? That doesn't make sense.
Based on the wiring diagram the text looks to be calling out an automatic breaker and not a fusible link. Should be located in the engine compartment fuse box.

Those 2 are not fusible links. They are fuses. All of this information is in the EWD.
If you look on the first page of section H (POWER SOURCE) you will see that both 50 amp AM1 and 60 amp ABS fuses have a number 1 indicating relay block #2 as noted on the bottom of the page. If you turn to page 18 as noted, it shows you the relay block.
There is also an entire section (B HOW TO USE THIS MANUAL).

Fender Relay Block.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom