Anyone Make Gullwing Type Side Windows for 40 Series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.youtube.com
So I was browsing Instagram earlier and saw this on one of those accounts that just post a bunch of camping/scenic photos from who knows who took them

Screenshot_20190803-095340__01[2].jpg
Screenshot_20190803-103304__01[1].jpg

And it got me curious as to if that side flip up (I believe are called gullwing windows) is something custom or if this is made by anyone/company. I looked around on google images for anything else like this but only thing that comes up are for 80 series
2014-05-14 17.19.03.jpg

or this interesting hack job
c7a3f11ab80d1215443465988591fe98.jpg

If anyone knows the owner of the Instagram one or knows if anyone makes these for any 40 series post em up.
I'm planning a build that isn't set on if I want a 40 or 43 so this is something that might change what one I pick, unless its an option for both. if it turns out this is something custom, I might make something like it myself (whenever I get around to this project)

Screenshot_20190803-095340__01[2].jpg

Screenshot_20190803-103304__01[1].jpg

Last edited:
also, does anyone know why it keeps inserting duplicate images at the bottom of the post? I'm new here and this is my first thread so any tips would be nice

SOR has them for a 70 series. Just saw them today.

The duplicate images are likely related to how you are posting images. I’ve had that problem a couple times. I usually Post all as full images, either as a batch or one at a time... then I don’t have that problem.

I’ve considered building a hardtop to have removable panels on both sides. I’d not though of having them fold up... I’ve got a hatch at the back that does that :D

It wouldn’t be very hard to build one. Trickiest part would be finding the right hinges... although a heavy Piano hinge would do the trick. I’d recommend building it so you don’t have to cut or drill into the side panel.

It wouldn’t be very hard to build one. Trickiest part would be finding the right hinges... although a heavy Piano hinge would do the trick. I’d recommend building it so you don’t have to cut or drill into the side panel.
Yea that's what I was thinking. Since I plan on making one of these an overlanding rig one day, I imagine it would be nice to have a whole side, or at least a side window, open up to make some storage more accessible. That would be awesome to just kick back with the breeze blowing through while you take a nap or something.

If you spaced the gutter up from the side panels you could fit a piano hinge down each side. Then a sheet of 1/8” aluminum could be bent to match the side. If you cut an opening the right size the side window could be fit with generic weatherstripping... although that would make the latch more complicated... but not impossible.

I was thinking It might be cool to use the stock window and possibly make something like this with it. I would have to figure out some glass cutting/drilling though
FlipUpSlide2.jpg

I would have to figure out a way to attach a window frame in place of the window that then holds the hinges, locking mechanism, lift support strut, and sealing gaskets

although I have never owned one of these (I've only ridden in a few of them) so I don't have much of an idea what I have to deal with in terms of mounting something like that. It would be nice to see less bolts from the outside so maybe some welding is required. but would be nice to not have to do that if necessary

Similar thread

It’s tempered glass so cutting drilling isn’t possible by usual means.

However, that wouldn’t prevent you from adhering brackets to the glass. Combined with hinges of the right design, the window could be a panel that opens... the latch becomes much harder though.
Lexan might be an easier option. Lexan is a pain to bend properly, but would be an almost indestructible window.

Last edited:
Based on the yellow truck above and having just replaced the weatherstripping on that side window.
If you cut an aluminum panel using the glass as a template, and match the glass thickness.You could pop it right in. Seems the aluminum would be lighter than the tempered glass so it might allow for things like hinges and the lateral force of an open gull wing window "twisting" it out of the weather stripping. The gas strut thing would be a cinch.

Maybe a tiny bit trickier if you want to be able to see out that window that opens, not just a solid hatch. The above comment about some Lexan might get you there. No need to bend it. Just build the aluminum frame for it (actual window would be slightly smaller than OEM) Hinges, struts, weather stripping for both the whole panel and the edge where the Lexan meets the aluminum, latch mechanism to hold it closed (lock it?).

Now I'm thinking about this. I don't think I'd like the latches protruding from the sides. Would need to find a flush/recessed mechanism.

Have you considered sliders? How big are the things you want to reach? They’d allow for a breeze.
235B07C8-4242-4845-B30E-2900AFCEDA15.jpeg
26FE2F55-E750-42B6-BFB9-52C03A48C3FB.jpeg

Here’s a cool expedition 40 I recently saw pictures of here on mud...

FC93964A-1B6D-40BD-8157-7A4963E1F8FA.jpeg
74820AD2-F754-45C5-8669-A5322E6572EB.jpeg
C053D1DD-1C2C-4342-AC30-53DAEF475AD3.jpeg
3E6FD77B-BF77-430F-AF42-0A75E48CFED2.jpeg

A real life Expedition vehicle... very clever. Wish I had a link to his thread. I’d like to build one similar some day.

It’s tempered glass so cutting drilling isn’t possible by usual means.
Yea my dad used to do a lot of work around the house and had a couple times drilled glass but he used some special drill bits. something like this https://www.hunker.com/12358623/how-to-drill-a-hole-in-tempered-glass

However, that wouldn’t prevent you from adhering brackets to the glass. Combined with hinges of the right design, the window could be a panel that opens... the latch becomes much harder though.
Lexan might be an easier option. Lexan is a pain to bend properly, but would be an almost indestructible window.
the latch would be harder to do for sure if I tried to use the glass itself as the panel. you could adhere most everything else which would give a nice clean look but do you know of any sort of adhesive that strong/reliable? I could look into it. I thought about the lexan idea and that would be a good option but I do like the idea of being able to see through it and look as stock from the outside as possible.

Based on the yellow truck above and having just replaced the weatherstripping on that side window.
If you cut an aluminum panel using the glass as a template, and match the glass thickness.You could pop it right in. Seems the aluminum would be lighter than the tempered glass so it might allow for things like hinges and the lateral force of an open gull wing window "twisting" it out of the weather stripping. The gas strut thing would be a cinch.

Maybe a tiny bit trickier if you want to be able to see out that window that opens, not just a solid hatch. The above comment about some Lexan might get you there. No need to bend it. Just build the aluminum frame for it (actual window would be slightly smaller than OEM) Hinges, struts, weather stripping for both the whole panel and the edge where the Lexan meets the aluminum, latch mechanism to hold it closed (lock it?).

Now I'm thinking about this. I don't think I'd like the latches protruding from the sides. Would need to find a flush/recessed mechanism.
Yea the latch from the outside was what I was worried about. but I have seen those closer to flush mount lockable latches that leer uses on their camper shells
s-l300.jpg
hqdefault.jpg

This might be an option but I have never liked the feel that these kind of locking mechanisms have. They feel finicky like they could be easily broken
I like the aluminum plate idea

Have you considered sliders? How big are the things you want to reach? They’d allow for a breeze.
Well considering I don't actually have the rig yet (or a very comprehensive overlanding setup yet for that matter) I have not a clue what I might be reaching through for. I have seen those slider window options but on the few sliders I've used on truck camper shells they are very tight/stiff to move and more of a pain than I think it's worth. Are they lockable though?

A real life Expedition vehicle... very clever. Wish I had a link to his thread. I’d like to build one similar some day.
I've never been a fan of any rig that I have to climb on the hood, or cowl, or whatever to enable functionality. But I also don't climb up on things in flip flops, so I guess that explains my non-fanness.

I've never been a fan of any rig that I have to climb on the hood, or cowl, or whatever to enable functionality. But I also don't climb up on things in flip flops, so I guess that explains my non-fanness.

I’ve seen other rigs with the roof hinged opposite to that one with a ladder to access it from the side. Also a 45 Troopy with a roof that went straight up.

Marine silicone sticks to glass like sh!t to a blanket.

Lexan comes in clear sheets, “Glass-like with incredibly high impact resistance.” I’ve seen it clear, tinted, and a range of colours. :D

Lexan comes in clear sheets, “Glass-like with incredibly high impact resistance.” I’ve seen it clear, tinted, and a range of colours. :D
Oh for some reason I was thinking of some other material, Kydex I think. Yea lexan looks like a pretty good option now that I'm looking at it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom