Anyone made an FJ40 AWD? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

h55 is build to tow 5000 kg so it is strong, but 500hp might be to much for it as turbo has 130 hp, mine has lockers so impossible to drive 4x4 on asphalt, any turn eats the tires.
Our neighbor has a hiace awd, seems pretty strong as it is a workhorse van type, maybe see what drivetrain that is? the funny thing is the absurd big turning circle.

Why is the split case not capable of AWD? Can't you just lock it off in 4 wheel drive? Is there something else going on in AWD?

And sensors at each wheel...

So it can be engaged on the fly? The sensors making the determination?
Then adding it to a 40 would be quite a task.
I guess what I've been talking about is full time four wheel drive - and I think that is what the OP has been talking about as well.

Calm down Joe...

As you said, everyone has an opinion... you originally asked for information... e.g. Opinions.

Then, you asked about mating two transmissions...

As @69LC said... Hardcore Corner is better suited for your purposes.

... and @roma042987 provided the part numbers you wanted.

But, no one is piling on... just offering their opinions... and experience.

So it can be engaged on the fly? The sensors making the determination?
Then adding it to a 40 would be quite a task.
I guess what I've been talking about is full time four wheel drive - and I think that is what the OP has been talking about as well.

Full time 4 wheel drive would be extremely obnoxious driving anywhere but off road. Even off road it would be a pain in the ass.

How does an FJ80 transfer case know to engage/disengage the xfer case? Is it integrated into the ECM?

How does an FJ80 transfer case know to engage/disengage the xfer case? Is it integrated into the ECM?

The FJ80 is full-time 4WD; it has a Torsen "torque sensing" (a form of limited slip) center differential. Something like that is necessary for full-time 4WD or all-wheel drive, so the front and rear drive trains don't get bound up with each other.

Full time 4 wheel drive would be extremely obnoxious driving anywhere but off road. Even off road it would be a pain in the ass.

Don't think you understand full time 4WD. The transfer case works like a diff with a locker. On the road you run it unlocked and lock when you want off-road. Around 03 Toyota started adding a Torsen to the transfer cases that acts like limited slip when unlocked. Traction control with full time 4WD is the best combo for a vehicle used on and off-road.

So, are the hubs locked full time on a rig with Torsen transfer case?

He doesn't, runs like a open diff and locked by a button. Believe it was 95 model it couldn't be locked unless in low range from the factory. They is a mod that allows you change that and believe the factory lockers only worked in low range also. Which is why Traction control is better for the highway. Start slipping and it applys the brakes to the spinning wheel. Any type of locker you try and lock it's too late.

I must say that I love the full time case in my wife's 80. In that truck I did the 7-pin mod so I can lock and unlock the center diff whenever I want to. I still have a lever for low range, but even in low I can lock and unlock the center diff.

However, I wouldn't want and fulltime case in my 40 though. For me it doesn't fit that truck.

I know the purists won't approve, but I want my 40 to be a big HP turboed monster with 37" street tires and cut chubby 38.5 trail tires. I want to be able to scare the s*** out of my little doctor brother with his carefully built CTS-V. I do know how to build a 40 to handle the big power. I expect the OP does too.

Last edited:
However, I wouldn't want and fulltime case in my 40 though. For me it doesn't fit that truck.

Funny in 1975 Toyota thought hard enough about full time 4WD to produce some prototypes and tested them in the US.

Shift on the fly has been working out well for me. AWD won't help any if the front wheels don't stay on the ground. 500 is an impressive sounding number... but at what rpm? Torque is what makes it go.

I found mine stood up well enough to 300 hp and 390ish ft/lbs of torque. More than that gets even scarier... how fast does it really need break things?

My 'new' motor likely only has 250, and it will no longer lift the front wheels... but I don't care. It's still plenty fast... wheels also don't get good traction if they're spinning.

Don't think you understand full time 4WD.

We are getting into semantics here, and labels given to a vehicle from the vehicle manufacturer.

In general, AWD vehicles (Subaru, FZJ80, Rav4, etc) do not have the option to shift into 2WD. The center diff is always engaged. The difference is on 'Full Time 4WD', you can actually lock the center diff to transfer power, rather than relying on a limited slip setup.

4WD, you can select 2HI, 4HI, or 4LO.

For the sake of this thread, the OP is discussing using a split case to 'put all 500hp down to all 4 wheels'.

My reply was based on him using a split case shifted into 4HI, putting him in 4WD at all times, and not the use of a 'Full Time 4WD' transfer case (80/100 series) to get what he's looking for.

Sorry for the confusion.

Got it. Exedy Carbon Kevlar. Discs TBD.

Joe

The axles won't hold up long even if you find the tcase you're looking for. A customer and friend threw a 454 with a B&M blower in a 40 which
produced a bit more than 500hp. You'll be snapping axles and pinions. We stretched it and ran it through a built TH400 and Atlas
We build 35 spline Dana 60's and ran 42" swampers. He could be cruising in 4WD at 35mph and step on the throttle and all 4 tires would light up
and the truck would go everywhere but straight. Most of that due to tires I'm sure. The tall sidewalls on swampers would wrinkle up and unload at the slightest loss of traction

I've broke a dozen birfields, three semi float rear shafts and two full float rear shafts and a pinion with 2Fs and mild 350s. I usually run 60~70:1 final drives and all broke at a crawl speeds with very little foot in the pedal with the exception of the pinion and a full float shaft which was
in a soupy mud pit and I was on throttle. That was in a TBI 350, 200hp[/QUOTE]

Put a NP203 in it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom