Bridgestone M857 Tyres on FJ40 - anyone tried them? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

Has anyone tried Bridgestone M857 tyres on their FJ40?

I'm just wondering how they ride? They look like they will last a while, and seem to fit close to original 16" sizes, but looking for thoughts - im struggling to find any 7.50R16 tyres with any 'off road' tread and want to keep the original tube/split ring rim set up.

Cheers

These Bridgestones are pure heavy truck/lorry tyres, aren't they?

Sorry if I'm missing something, but couldn't be a better choice for a vehicle like the FJ40, remaining at 7.50R16, to look for a tyre like the Dunlop SP Qualifier TG21? It's the standard fit for the 70-Series, so easy to get in the Gulf countries. Seen this tyre here in the Mud, particularly with Mudders with (extensive) GCC experience...

109PR, 6 PLY.jpg

DUNLOP SP QULIFIER, 7.50x16 RADIAL.jpeg

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Yes I believe they are heavy truck tyres - they certainly look pretty heavy duty in the shop. They are 14 ply i think - maybe a little too heavy duty?! I've looked at the SP Qualifiers, but unfortunately no one stocks them here in 7.50R16 tube type - only available in UAE, which means expensive road transport to get them.

I'm trying to strike the balance between original look and hard wearing, whilst being available here in Qatar. It seems fairly limited though tbh, when compared to Saudi and UAE.

Any other suggestions would be welcomed

Cheers

...I've looked at the SP Qualifiers, but unfortunately no one stocks them here in 7.50R16 tube type - only available in UAE, which means expensive road transport to get them.
I'm trying to strike the balance between original look and hard wearing, whilst being available here in Qatar. It seems fairly limited though tbh, when compared to Saudi and UAE.
Any other suggestions would be welcomed......
A weekend trip to Saudi, perhaps?

PS. I have a friend, expat in Bahrain, who is doing the same...

Yes, thats a possible solution - I'm family free from July so will have the time for such a trip.

I'm still intrigued to see if anyone put something as heavy duty as the M857 Bridgestone on a 40?!

These Dunlops should be heavy duty enough, IMHO.
However and back to your question, it seems that these people put something as heavy as the Bridgestone M857 (e.g. the Indian made 14PR radial JKTyres, or the Apollo Dura mile, 14PR radials), have a look...

Last edited:
...and if you decide for the Bridgestone M857, you could, perhaps, find them in their 114N/8PR version (see at the PDF archive), probably more suited to the FJ40.
There is a tube type (TC) for the split rims too.

R857in PK.jpg

Attachments

• BRIDGESTONE LightTrucks & Vans.pdf
    961.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
...and if you decide for the Bridgestone M857, you could, perhaps, find them in their 114N/8PR version (see at the PDF archive), probably more suited to the FJ40.
There is a tube type (TC) for the split rims too.

View attachment 3584477
Yes I had hoped to get the lower ply rating versions, but unfortunately they only have he 14PR in stock. There really is a limited supply of decent tyres in the size here, and i cant justify spending ~1000usd plus postage on the City Racer tubeless replacements. Unless something else comes up, I think ill take a punt on the M857 and see how it gets on - at least i wont have to change tyres for some time!

Yes I had hoped to get the lower ply rating versions, but unfortunately they only have he 14PR in stock. There really is a limited supply of decent tyres in the size here, and i cant justify spending ~1000usd plus postage on the City Racer tubeless replacements. Unless something else comes up, I think ill take a punt on the M857 and see how it gets on - at least i wont have to change tyres for some time!
Sure it's an option, locally.
It seems that you if you're asking for more options, you have to look in the neighbouring Saudi market...

I think I have a 12pr tire called the Kenda Loadstar with highway pattern tread (kinda looks close to what you're doing for) . Not aggressive tread at all and I'm able to do all the "off road" trails with ease. Tubeless tire though. The 12 ply feels pretty indestructable and I'm able to run over sharp rocks, spikey desert foliage, sand, glass, etc. Thry are tough. If I could get a higher ply rating, I would. I really recommend the highway patern. Unless you're planing on doing driving on snow, highway tread is the way to go on rocks and dry climates. Heck, even in rain, the tire patter is great.

Suposedly some people run tubeless tires on split rims, just read up on it to see how or what issues they have.

I think I have a 12pr tire called the Kenda Loadstar with highway pattern tread (kinda looks close to what you're doing for) . Not aggressive tread at all and I'm able to do all the "off road" trails with ease. Tubeless tire though. The 12 ply feels pretty indestructable and I'm able to run over sharp rocks, spikey desert foliage, sand, glass, etc. Thry are tough. If I could get a higher ply rating, I would. I really recommend the highway patern. Unless you're planing on doing driving on snow, highway tread is the way to go on rocks and dry climates. Heck, even in rain, the tire patter is great.

Suposedly some people run tubeless tires on split rims, just read up on it to see how or what issues they have.
Yes, these seem similar to what i have in mind - how do you find the weight of them? I wondered how all that unsprung mass will effect steering etc.
I've read various things about tubeless tyres with tubes, but it seems the consensus is that its not worth it. I'm planning a long road trip, circa 6000km, so need to keep punctures to a minimum and have read that tubeless tyres can end up rubbing on the tubes and causing punctures.
Do you have a picture of your tyre tread pattern - there are a few Kenda Loadstars available, I'm curious to see which one you have had success with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom