Anyone Ever Take a Wiper Motor Apart For a 79 +/- a Couple of Years (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have no idea where that part goes, but it does look like half an electric motor to ? coupler. What you show there has a second identical piece, and the teeth mesh together. One half goes on the electric motor, and the other half goes on the transmission, meshing together and transmitting the power. Where I've usually seen this is an electric clothes washer. The motor is coupled to the transmission through a set of these couplers. Were you working on something else recently, besides your 40?

I hope this helps you, jogs your memory a bit.

Don

It goes right behind the mounting plate.

IMG_1510.JPG

I thought I’d add some notes to this thread in case someone comes across it in the future.

I took mine apart intending to powder coat the black housing. Turns out it comes apart, up to a point, much easier then it goes together.

The armature is somehow attached to the inside of the black housing so I ended up painting it with a rattle can which I could have done without taking it apart.

Now the fun part - trying to get it back together.

The brushes need to be retracted so the housing can be mated with the head. After noodling this for a bit I ended up looping dental floss around the wire on each of the three brushes. My wife held two of the brushes back and I held the third one back while mating the housing and the head. Once the armature started in I was able to carefully release one end of the dental floss loop and slowly pull the floss clear and then repeat the process with the other two brushes.

This technique worked so well I ended up doing it a second time which brings me to my next tip.

The nuts that secure the head to the housing slide into slots in the side of the housing. Once in position they cannot turn. But, as I found out there is nothing that keeps the magnets in the armature from sucking the nuts down into the case. On the second attempt I cut a thin strip from a tin can, applied some double-sided tape to the end of it and stuck the nut to it. I then slid the strip with the nut stuck to it into the slot and held it until the nut was started onto the bolt.

Initially, I cut a metal strip from a thin soda can but it turned out that it was not strong enough to keep the magnets from deforming the strip so I ended up using a strip from a slightly thicker can.

If you’re getting the impression that everything this guy does he has to do twice I’d just say that on average twice is on the low side……………

Best tip I can give you is don’t take it apart unless the motor is not working

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom