Wiper motor confusion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mwkojack

'83 HJ47 project
Threads
I know that this has been hashed before and I’ve found several threads regarding wiring but I’m finally to my wits end.

Wiper motor went out two weeks ago on the way home in a rainstorm. Not the end of the world because my truck doesn’t drive very fast anyway. Took the motor apart and the stator had broke away from the casing/frame. The motor was getting weak anyway so ordered a new one from cityracer.

New motor arrives and installed it and immediately blew a fuse. I “assumed” it would be plug and play. And maybe it is but now that I’ve really studied the wiring and read and re-read coolerman’s write up I’m almost convinced this new motor is wired differently.
IMG_9347.jpeg
This connection I assume is my common.
IMG_9347.jpeg
This connection is hot all the time and in park
IMG_9347.jpeg
this connection is hot when on high
IMG_9347.jpeg
. This connection is hot on low.

New motor
IMG_9345.jpeg

Yellow=common?
Red=park? So not the right spot. Should be the black wires spot
Green=low
Blue=high

I just don’t understand why the black is in the park spot. The motor runs when I put a ground to the yellow and positive to blue or green. And when I hook it up the motor just goes to park. I just don’t understand this wiring change and feel like a moron because I’m sure I’m over complicating this.

Have you looked at wiring diagram for your exact year/model. Perhaps some PO redid the system with parts they salvaged - There was time when spare parts were not available, so people just made do.

Sometimes "new" parts can be incorrect or broken. First day on the job at the assembly line sort of thing.

I replaced a switch in a big DeWalt chop saw for a friend. The exact switch was NLA, they sold a replacement one that required wires to be moved. The saw owner insisted on just plugging it in - magic smoke appeared. I change the wires and the saw worked just fine and still is.

Good luck - not a lot wires to choose from, and I think you are on it.

Have you looked at wiring diagram for your exact year/model. Perhaps some PO redid the system with parts they salvaged - There was time when spare parts were not available, so people just made do.

Sometimes "new" parts can be incorrect or broken. First day on the job at the assembly line sort of thing.

I replaced a switch in a big DeWalt chop saw for a friend. The exact switch was NLA, they sold a replacement one that required wires to be moved. The saw owner insisted on just plugging it in - magic smoke appeared. I change the wires and the saw worked just fine and still is.

Good luck - not a lot wires to choose from, and I think you are on it.
Yes-i’m sure there is something different about the parts. Mainly because this vehicle came from Nicaragua. Who knows what they salvaged or even what they used when they assembled it. The motors have a different wiring set up. I may have to rewire the new motor to conform to my wiring harness (switch) I don’t know.

Yes. Bench tested it multiple times

In the end after multiple wiring configurations at the connection and many fuses later I re-wired the motor to the original motor’s configuration. In the new motor the common brush was not grounded. I ended up grounding that brush. Then moved the ground off the bottom contact on the motors switch and replaced it with the correct feed.

Now I have a perfectly running wiper motor
IMG_9357.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom