Any Vise Collectors Here? (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

especially since those are so useful...

I measured the one remaining pipe jaw, the slot for the front is much bigger. Will give Yost a look. Your 34 still has some red paint. Wonder if it they came that way. Mine has no evidence of paint, just use and abuse.

They were all painted black from factory. The "R" series Reeds were painted a dull gray. I'm sure mine was painted to go with the Texaco livery.

I would think that with a bit of steel bar and a grinder or a band saw, one could come up with pipe jaws pretty easily.

I would think that with a bit of steel bar and a grinder or a band saw, one could come up with pipe jaws pretty easily.
You are right, I have a mill so it wouldn't be hard. Just something else to do. I did check out the price of Yost pipe jaws...... I will be making them myself and quench harden them.

When I was first starting out, my dad gave me a broken jawed, brazed together beater vice to start with. I'd made it work for the last 35 years until night before last when my makeshift jaws broke (again).

I'd recovered his vice from his shed a few years ago but it has sat in a box until last night. Finally took my old vice off the bench and replaced it with Dad's today.

IMG_20231101_171430531_HDR.jpg

IMG_20231101_171419256_HDR.jpg

Too
When I was first starting out, my dad gave me a broken jawed, brazed together beater vice to start with. I'd made it work for the last 35 years until night before last when my makeshift jaws broke (again).

I'd recovered his vice from his shed a few years ago but it has sat in a box until last night. Finally took my old vice off the bench and replaced it with Dad's today.

View attachment 3470662

View attachment 3470663
Tools with sentimental value are wonderful.

@87BJ74 Great pick up and restore. LOVE me a good R series!

Looks like it has been a while. I’ll post some updates on recent projects soon.

So… I sold my Wilton 800. Guy came by to buy a 5” Reed and saw it and said he had to have it. Promptly told him he couldn’t afford it as it was not for sale. He assured me he could afford it and bought both vises that day. 3 days later, I picked up a new in box Wilton C3!

IMG_4017.jpeg

IMG_4016.jpeg

IMG_4563.jpeg

Last edited:
Other projects. Big logo Reed 105.
Columbian 506. And a near perfect 4 hole Reed 106R.

IMG_3986.jpeg

IMG_4610.jpeg

IMG_4686.jpeg

Those Reeds are beauties! They just never really come up in my area. Especially the hockey puck models. I did land this Oswego/Sawyer 4-1/2” a couple weeks ago. I really need to get back to working on some of my vises!
IMG_0984.jpeg

So… I sold my Wilton 800. Guy came by to buy a 5” Reed and saw it and said he had to have it. Promptly told him he couldn’t afford it as it was not for sale. He assured me he could afford it and bought both vises that day. 3 days later, I picked up a new in box Wilton C3!

View attachment 3534908

View attachment 3534909

View attachment 3534910
new c3.jpeg
work c3a.jpg

I got a brand new C3 a year or two ago. How do you feel it stacks up against the older models with the rear bolt on jaws? Mine seems fine but lacks the burly feeling of the older style to me. Don't get me wrong, this thing is sweeeeeeeet coming out of the box new with zero slop or marks!

@Mr Wonderful I've had both and can say that I think I like the newer design (excluding the fact that mine, as yours was new, and had no issues). It is not as massive in the lower jaws as the old ones were but I like the fact that there is full thickness metal across the top of the jaws with the front screws. Also prefer the spring kept pipe jaws over the pinned ones. Not as "beefy" as the old way, but I think a better design all around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom