any diff in transfer cases? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There were, I think, two different LR gear ratios. Going by memory I think 1.96 on the older ones, and like 2.29 on the newer ones. Not sure on the ratios.

All split cases bolt up the same.

M

Last edited:
Every 81-86 USA T-case I have seen has been the 2.26 ratio. This is also borne out by the parts fiche which shows one gearset from 81-3/86.

The 4/86-later T-case has the more durable 38mm idle shaft. Not sure what the ratio is on that later case, as I have neglected to count teeth when rebuilding that type. It is different from the earlier ratio, because the tooth count of the idler is different. I should know soon, as there is one here for rebuild in the next month or so.

sl33py said:
Thanks Mike and Jim.

so the 62's have the 38mm idle shaft as well?

what does a t/c rebuild cost?

food for thought - thanks guys!

rob

62's have the larger idler shaft, but the shifting mechanism and shift forks are different.

4/86 through 87 production have the 2:26 to 1 gearing.

Jim knows way more than me, but I'm pretty sure the earlier t-cases are 1:99 to 1. I have one in my garage I can count if I disassemble it.

t/c rebuild costs $200 for the rebuild kit if you do it yourself. If you pay a pro, I'll bet it's fairly expensive since it's time consuming, and you are going to pay shop time at $100 per hour or so.

I always thought that the older cases were 1.99:1 and the 86 plus were 2.26 as well..

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I have been rebuilding my transfer case and wanted to figure out the gear ratio. The input has 34 teeth, high sided of idler is 45 teeth, low side of idler is 25 teeth, high output gear is 34 teeth, and low output gear is 43 teeth. According to cruiserbrett in this post: https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=42297 the way to find the ratio is (high ilder/input)X(low output/low idler). Well doing the math: (45/34)x(43/25) = 2.276.
All this is to say this, I have an December of 1983 FJ60 with the 34mm idler shaft, so from the research I've done, most of the pre-85 US FJ60's have the 2.276 transfer case ratio.

Caleb West

GulfShoresFJ60 said:
I have been rebuilding my transfer case and wanted to figure out the gear ratio. The input has 34 teeth, high sided of idler is 45 teeth, low side of idler is 25 teeth, high output gear is 34 teeth, and low output gear is 43 teeth. According to cruiserbrett the way to find the ratio is (high ilder/input)X(low output/low idler). Well doing the math: (45/34)x(43/25) = 2.276.
All this is to say this, I have an December of 1983 FJ60 with the 34mm idler shaft, so from the research I've done, most of the pre-85 US FJ60's have the 2.276 transfer case ratio.
That is what I have found in all USA market 34mm cases.
I've rebuilt one late '84 H55 case w/ 1.99 ratio and 34mm shaft.

Does anybody have a tooth count on a USA 38mm t-case for H42 and for A440 auto?

We just talked about gear ratios for the transfer case in this thread and never got any answers.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=71956

Marlin answered my question on the forum at marlin crawlers.

This is what Marlin said:

-USA 4 speeds all have a 2.28:1 low range
-H55F 5 speeds have a 1.99:m low range

-All 60's have the same 2.28 ratio behind the H42 4 speed

This seems to jive with what Jim is saying. Sounds like they went to a 38mm but kept the ratios the same.

Last edited:
FJ40Jim said:
That is what I have found in all USA market 34mm cases.
I've rebuilt one late '84 H55 case w/ 1.99 ratio and 34mm shaft.

Does anybody have a tooth count on a USA 38mm t-case for H42 and for A440 auto?

A440 auto tranny have the 2.48 LR 38mm shaft ..

NocalFJ60 said:
This is what Marlin said:
-USA 4 speeds all have a 2.28:1 low range
-H55F 5 speeds have a 1.99:m low range
-All 60's have the same 2.28 ratio behind the H42 4 speed
This seems to jive with what Jim is saying. Sounds like they went to a 38mm but keep the ratios the same.
We know that there is a different ratio w/ the USA 38mm cases. The parts fiche identifies *some* of the T-case gears by tooth count, and they are different for the two cases. Unfortunately, the fiche doesn't call out tooth count on every gear in the t-case, so we can't just calculate ratios that way.

Maybe somebody could crack open a 38mm US case and WRITE IT DOWN.:idea:
Why didn't I do that?:doh:
Oh yeah, flat rate doesn't pay to take notes & digipics.:frown:

Back from the dead...

I have '83 and '85 FJ60's. Are the t-cases the same?

If the 83 has a cv type front driveshaft, then I assume it has the H41 tranny?

The 85 has a non-cv front driveshaft, then it changed to the H42 tranny?

Am I correct that all pre 10/85 19 spline t-cases are the same?

Furthermore, will any pre-88(FJ62) bolt into my truck?

Man, I am confused:confused:

Reason I'm asking is this thread...

Thanks!

If the trannys are original then both are H42's.

The cv type front driveshafts were found with the tranny/t-case combination lacking the spacer (pre-H55F). With the spacer between the tranny and t-case the combination is longer and the cv joint is not needed.

I think any pre-FJ62 t-case will bolt into your truck.

So, other than internal differences (i.e. 34mm vs 38mm idler shaft, and possibly different ratios) they are interchangeable and will bolt up to any US FJ60 81 thru 87?

Kavik said:
So, other than internal differences (i.e. 34mm vs 38mm idler shaft, and possibly different ratios) they are interchangeable and will bolt up to any US FJ60 81 thru 87?

Yes-but the shifter is different and needs to match the tranny. So if you have an 85, and want to use an 83 t-case, use the 85 t-case shifter linkage. As someone mentioned, all the USA FJ60 trannys were H42s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom