'83 to '85 t-case differences? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kavik

Supporting Vendor
Threads
So...

I've taken the plunge. I'm putting a TBI 350>700r4>203 grb>split case in my 85 FJ60. I've been watching every V8 and 203 thread on this board and I want to thank all of those guys for posting up their experiences.

Already have...

Motor is 5.7L TBI out of a complete, good running 1994 Chevrolet 2500 (8-lug) w/ a 480Le tranny

Tranny is a "k" case 700r4 from behind a 6.2l diesel?

Range box is NP203 out of an unknown GM w/ a TH350(27 spline) w/TH350 adapter

T-case is stock 19 spline 1985 splitcase (needs rebuilt, currently behind a stock 2F/H42)

I just recieved my 700r4 conversion shaft and the 203>splitcase adapter (Thanks Gary!)

I also have a 83 FJ60 parts truck.

Need...

lockup sensor
Fuel pump
motor mounts
custom crossmember(s)
longer/shorter driveshafts
cooling fan
return line to tank?
auto shifter
exhaust
??????

I've seen BMAN's FJ60 with a TBI and a 700r4, and he has most of this stuff figured out, so I will be bribe'ing him for part#'s very soon.

So...

Here's one of many questions I will surely have...

Are there any physical differences between the '83 t-case(cv front ds) and my '85 t-case(non-cv front ds)? I know the idler shaft is smaller, but will the '83 work for mockup purposes. Hell, the '83 has half the miles of my '85, should I just run the 83 t-case?

I'd like to get the entire motor>tranny>203>split case put together in the garage before I start tearing down my rig. The only ingredient still in the truck is the t-case. If I can use the '83, I'm set. I just don't want to build around the wrong case.

Thanks in advance.

Oh, and it will be gaining some hieght SOA style as well (ala GR8doughboy), my truck is even the same color;)

Kavik said:
Are there any physical differences between the '83 t-case(cv front ds) and my '85 t-case(non-cv front ds)? I know the idler shaft is smaller, but will the '83 work for mockup purposes. Hell, the '83 has half the miles of my '85, should I just run the 83 t-case?

Anybody?

85 has lower gears..

Other than that, they are almost identical.

How low are the gears in the fj62 case? 2.5 :1 ???? I know they are in the 80 with the 3fe but are wondering if it is the same for the 62 series case.

I thought it was 2.27 in a 62 case.

Mace said:
85 has lower gears..

Other than that, they are almost identical.

the gear change is alleged to have happened in the 62 cases which started in 87. From what I remeber its like 2.42 vs's 2.29 of h42 trucks & 1.98 of 5speed trucks.

The only differences in the cases you have is the idler shaft (& possibly 5th gear oiling cup groove). I had an 84 34mm t-case behind a tbi/700r4 for about 85k miles with no issues other than a defective idler shaft. I'd run whichever case looks better on the inside but would use the 85 (if it is indeed the 38mm) if they look the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom