Another SAS and Lift post! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey everyone I'm back! I've Been having trouble logging in for some reason it's been telling me I am banned from using the site? Haha Anyway for anyone that may be intrested and following my build I have been posting to YouTube, I'll still be posting here for all your expert help thošŸ˜

Hey everyone I'm back! I've Been having trouble logging in for some reason it's been telling me I am banned from using the site? Haha Anyway for anyone that may be intrested and following my build I have been posting to YouTube, I'll still be posting here for all your expert help thošŸ˜

What's your youtube? Link it so everyone can follow if they want. :)

Here are some pics of what I have got done today, next up SAS!! I have the kit in my shop now, it's a Trail gear 4in HD kitšŸ¤˜šŸ˜Ž

20190601_123221.jpg

20190601_141010.jpg

20190601_200507.jpg

Alright i figured I Would post an update On what I have been upto the last few weeks! So I took the truck down to have the frame inspected because the previous owner said it was in a accident in the past and i did not want to weld on a bent frame. Turned out it was good thinking because the rear was out of speck by almost an inch so I got it 100% straightened out. I also got my badass built 4l60E trans done, I also replaced the heater core because the old one was leaking and also did some fixing up on the old worn out dash. Im going to start the SAS this weekend and im hoping to have both front and rear axle swaps done by next week, once done with the axles I'll be taking the truck down to have the floor board shot with a thick coat of Line-X to act as a sound barrier. Once done we will be re-carpeting over it. Here are a few pics for you all!!

20190714_191927.jpg

20190627_164528.jpg

20190618_190023.jpg

20190622_181646.jpg

Didn't see the two jack stands under the frame at first and was a little spooked you were only using a stump to hold it up! šŸ¤£

I want to see this sas get underway!!!
What are you doing for steering? Iā€™ve forgotten?

Edit* nevermind, I see hellfire knuckles. Iā€™m excited!

Alright so the SAS has officially started, I was not able to track down a cutting torch or a plasma cutter for a reasonable price and my torch stuff got stolen so I figured what the hell! One guy on each side with a Grinder and minie sledge worked great to get everything off. Took some time to grind in this 110Ā° New Mexico heat but we got it done. I'm off to get some buffing and more grinding wheels then we will be cleaning it all up tomorrow and start tack welding everything upšŸ¤˜

20190720_112714.jpg

20190720_113421.jpg

20190720_160912.jpg

20190720_160923.jpg

20190720_161735.jpg

Last edited:
#no going back!

I just had to go back through a few pages as Iā€™ve had a very hectic couple of months, and last I saw you were keeping the 22RE. Today I see the pic and think hmmmm... looks like a SBC. With the LS going in you will want to add some beef. Iā€™m not up on what specifically you should add though. Marlins forum may have more ideas?

You going to try and run the Aisin hubs on your 80 axle?

I just had to go back through a few pages as Iā€™ve had a very hectic couple of months, and last I saw you were keeping the 22RE. Today I see the pic and think hmmmm... looks like a SBC. With the LS going in you will want to add some beef. Iā€™m not up on what specifically you should add though. Marlins forum may have more ideas?

Ya so this thread started just as me asking for some SAS info and quickly spiraled into a complete truck build haha. Just a little recap on everything that I'm doing so any new followers don't have to dig through pages of posts I am putting a 96 LT1 Corvette motor in my 86 Toyota pickup, 4l60E GM transmission, Twin sticked Dana 300 Transfer case, and front and rear FJ80 axles with 5.29 gears and ARB lockers. Now circling back around to your question about the Aisin hubs I Got in touch with they guys at cruiser outfitters and they sent me new manual locking hubs so I will not be using the ones that came off the truck

That thing is going to be a monster!

Ha! Nope I'm in pretty deep, anyone have any ideas on how I can beef up the frame any?

I used trail gear's frame plates with marlin's box mount and low range's front brace, low-pro hanger and shock towers. Beefed the hell out of my frame.

So I made some more ground today, got the front hanger tacked up, springs mocked up and rear Spring tubes welded in. I want to make note for everyone that is on the fence about whether or not they can do a SAS their self at home and the answer is YES you absolutely can! The directions calld for a cutting torch or a plasma cutter and I have completed all cutting needed with nothing more than a Grinder and two 1 3/4in hole saws. The inch and three quarter hole saws worked great for cutting the holes in the frame for the rear leaf tubes (pictures below) sorry my welds came out kinda crummy I was welding with gas and the wind was quite strong.

20190803_185036.jpg

20190803_135550.jpg

20190803_170345.jpg

20190803_174629.jpg

If I had seen this earlier I would have said to wait to cut and weld in the frame tubes. On my SAS, 88 4runner with 3VZE and trail gear HD kit I should have moved the frame tubes closer to the front, as the recommended position left me with not enough room to move the front hanger and get a better angle. Itā€™s passable now.

You will want to wait until your engine is in and everything before finalizing anything.

Last edited:
Happy Friday everyone! I've been making progress on the Corvotta rig! I got the front axle Trussed and mocked up on the truck, I'm going to have to get some custom U-bolts made because the ones that came in the Trail gear kit are too short for an FJ80 axle (which is why they look alittle off on the passenger side). Just an FYI I ended up making my own spring perches out of 2.5in square Tubing and the reason being is because once again the ones that came in the kit were for a mini truck axle and not for an 80. The 80 axle is more square where as the mini truck axles are Circular in shape, I could have gotten The ones that came in the kit to work if I grinded the hell out of them but I figured I could make some better stronger ones myselfšŸ¤˜šŸ˜Ž. I am also alittle Disappointed with how high the truck is sitting on the 4" HD Springs but I am hoping they will settle over time. On the bright side it looks like I'll be able to clear 37s with no problem

20191117_160704.jpg

20191117_155641.jpg

20191117_155633.jpg

20191113_190252.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom