Another diesel 40 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thought I would make this thread to document my latest 40 build. I bought this Costa Rican 1978 bj40 in the fall of 2011. I actually found the truck in 2010 listed on Craigslist in Cost Rica. (Back in those days I used to window shop Craigslist in other countries simply to drool over the diesel offerings we never got.) This listing was different however, because the description stated the truck was actually in Tennessee.
It was driven up from Costa Rica in 2010 by a French Canadian lady and her German shepard. She was living in Costa Rica when her visa expired and she couldn't get it renewed. The 40 had been her transportation in Costa Rica and she had the engine rebuilt while she had it. Instead of parting with the little 40 she decided she would drive it back home to Quebec.
I called the Canadian number in the description and got a French answering machine. I left a voicemail and soon got a return call, apparently the 40 popped a radiator in Mississippi and blew the head gasket. She had the radiator brazed and the head gasket replaced but only made it to Tennessee before it quit on her again. Having lost hope in the Toyota, she flew home and left it with a mechanic in Knoxville.

After getting the full story I told her I'd like to buy it. She told me she'd call the mechanic, and call me back with the specifics for picking it up. Well, apparently the shop had closed, and the number was disconnected. I forgot about the missing 40, but told her to get in touch if she ever found it.
Fast forward about 8 months and I get a call from her, apparently the 40 was at a wrecker shop in Soddy Daisy (and had been for 6 months ) they had picked it up as an abandoned vehicle. The wrecker shop guys decided to rummage through the 40 one day and discovered her phone number inside. At this point the wrecker shop had $1000 in storage fees (max allowed allegedly) for storing the 40.

I borrowed a truck and trailer and drove about 4 hours up to Soddy Daisy. The 40 was pretty darn rough compared to the photos I had seen nearly a year before. The body was full of bondo and the truck had the typical South American modifications. I called the lady up and we agreed on 1k dollars and paying the 1k in storage to buy the 40.

I was pretty pleased with myself at the time and figured the frame and drivetrain was worth the 2k I had in it.

How it looked when I picked it up.
IMAG0317.jpg

When I got home with the 40 I found a bird nest in the spare tire carrier with 6 little birds inside it. The girl I was dating at the time spent the next few weeks rearing those damn birds in my house until one by one they all died off.

I drove the 40 around the neighborhood from time to time, it was anemic and pushed oil into the coolant but never overheated or got coolant in the oil.

One day on my way home from work, about 300 yards from home the left rear wheel fell off. I pulled into a parking lot and walked home to get another vehicle and some tools. The truck had the wrong lug nuts and they had wallowed out the wheels and became loose which caused the wheel studs to break. I spent the next couple of hours replacing the wheel studs in the rain. While at the parts store picking up the wheel studs I'd bought a new fuel filter for the 40 with the hope of getting some more power out of the old B engine. (Thinking it could be partially clogged.) When I finally got home that evening, I figured I might as well spin the new filter on while I was still in my work clothes and already wet from working in the rain. I didn't know much about diesels at the time and didn't fill the fuel filter with diesel before installing it. I simply thought I could leave the engine running and it would prime itself. Well problem is I don't have a flat spot on my property and the parking brake was inoperable. Chocking the rear wheel with a rock, I hopped out to have a look under the bonnet. A few minutes later the chock apparently sunk in the wet yard and the 40 took off down the hill. I was barely able to slap the door closed to keep it from wrecking the house before it was out of reach and rolling down my drive. The 40 ended up on its side causing some damage to the already pitiful body. The part that hurt my feelings the most was the borrowed windshield glass I had picked up earlier that day from @Michael B. I borrowed it to use as a template to have a new glass cut for my other 40. (It was destroyed of course.) Well, I spent the rest of that evening righting the overturned 40 with my other 40..in the rain. It was sketchy as hell looking back at it because it was on such an incline.

I removed the damaged top and the 40 sat just like this for years and years on the back burner.

This crate was a 3b I bought from @wileycoyote for it many years ago to replace the B engine. The 3b turned out to be rusty as hell and wouldn't start, so I sold it a few years later.
IMAG1469.jpg

A few years back I got bored and tried to start it.

Last edited:
This is a great story - I read it to my wife with tears from laughing so hard :popcorn:

The 40 stayed on the back burner while honed my new hobby, I built and diesel swapped my mustard 78, a 71 fj40, my 87 fj60, and a couple of 75 fj40s for Tucker. I collected parts for the rig when I came across deals I couldn't pass up. In 2013 I picked up a brand new Aqualu tub and Aqualu firewall from a guy that was going through a divorce. Since the body was shot anyway it didn't bother me that it was sitting outside. The frame was good and that would be about the only thing I was going to reuse along with the hood and front bib. A few years later I picked up some Aqualu half doors that happened to pop up on Craigslist also unused. I bought a Realsteel bow kit and a reproduction top from @shmukster. I got some city racer 16's for it and even bought a rusty but running donor bj60 with a 3b and h55f from @RocketCityCrzrs

20230102_140612.jpg

Last edited:
Thought I would make this thread to document my latest 40 build. I bought this Costa Rican 1978 bj40 in the fall of 2011. I actually found the truck in 2010 listed on Craigslist in Cost Rica. (Back in those days I use to window shop Craigslist in other countries simply to drool over the diesel offerings we never got.) This listing was different however, because the description stated the truck was actually in Tennessee.
It was driven up from Costa Rica in 2010 by a French Canadian lady and her German shepard. She was living in Costa Rica when her visa expired and she couldn't get it renewed. The 40 had been her transportation in Costa Rica and she had the engine rebuilt while she had it. Instead of parting with the little 40 she decided she would drive it back home to Quebec.
I called the Canadian number in the description and got a French answering machine. I left a voicemail and soon got a return call, apparently the 40 popped a radiator in Mississippi and blew the head gasket. She had the radiator brazed and the head gasket replaced but only made it to Tennessee before it quit on her again. Having lost hope in the Toyota, she flew home and left it with a mechanic in Knoxville.

After getting the full story I told her I'd like to buy it. She told me she'd call the mechanic and call me back with the specifics for picking it up. Well, apparently the shop had closed and the number was disconnected. I forgot about the missing 40 but, told her to get in touch if she ever found it.
Fast forward about 8 months and I get a call from her, apparently the 40 was at a wrecker shop in Soddy Daisy (and had been for 6 months ) they had picked it up as an abandoned vehicle. The wrecker shop guys decided to rummage through the 40 one day and had discovered her phone number inside it. At this point the wrecker shop had $1000 in storage fees (max allowed allegedly) for storing the 40.

I borrowed a truck and trailer and drove about 4 hours up to Soddy Daisy. The 40 was pretty darn rough compared to the photos I had seen nearly a year before. The body was full of bondo and had the truck had the typical South American modifications. I called the lady up and we agreed on 1k dollars and paying the 1k in storage to buy the 40.

I was pretty pleased with myself at the time and figured the frame and drivetrain was worth the 2k I had in it.

How it looked when I picked it up.
View attachment 3208350

When I got home with the 40 I found a bird nest in the spare tire carrier with 6 little birds inside it. The girl I was dating at the time spent the next few weeks rearing those damn birds in my house until one by one they all died off.

I drove the 40 around the neighborhood from time to time, it was anemic and pushed oil into the coolant but never overheated or got coolant in the oil.

One day on my way home from work about 300 yards from home the left rear wheel fell off. I pulled into a parking lot and walked home to get another vehicle and some tools. The truck had the wrong lug nuts and they had wallowed out the wheels and became loose which caused the wheel studs to break. I spent the next couple of hours replacing the wheel studs in the rain. While at the parts store picking up the wheel studs I'd bought a new fuel filter for the 40 with the hope of getting some more power out of the old B engine. When I finally got home that evening I figured I might as well spin the new filter on while I was still in my work clothes nd already wet from working in the rain. I didn't know much about diesels at the time and didn't fill the fuel filter with diesel before installing it. I simply thought I could leave the engine running and it would prime itself. Well problem is I don't have a flat spot on my property and the parking brake was inoperable. Chocking the rear wheel with a rock, I hopped out to have a look under the bonnet. A few minutes later the chock apparently sunk in the wet yard and the 40 took off down the hill. I was barely able to slap the door closed to keep it from wrecking the house before it was out of reach and rolling down my drive. The 40 ended up in its side causing some damage to the already toast body. The part that hurt my feelings the most was the borrowed windshield glass I had picked up earlier that day from @Michael B. I borrowed it to use as a template to have a new glass cut for my other 40. It was destroyed of course. Well I spent the rest of that evening righting the overturned 40 with my other 40. It was sketchy as he'll looking back at it because it was on such an incline.

I removed the damaged top and the 40 sat just like this for years and years on the back burner.

This crate was a 3b I bought from @wileycoyote for it many years ago to replace the B engine. The 3b was rusty as hell and wouldn't start so I sold it a few years later.
View attachment 3208508

A few years back I got bored and tried to start it.

No way, ive seen those videos lol. Came across them when I was researching for my 77 bj40 from Costa Rica lol

Fast forward to about a year ago, I was browsing in the diesel section and came across a wanted advertisement of someone looking for a B diesel crank shaft. I sent the guy a message and offered him the whole engine. We struck a deal and I pulled the old 40 in the garage. The years of sitting with the top off had taken their toll. Water had gotten into the transmission through the missing shifter dust boot and froze the trans in 1st gear. It made for an interesting experience driving it into the garage with no brakes, no clutch, and stuck in 1st gear. The slave and master had also gotten water in them and were rusted froze. To top the experience off the ignition on this particular 40 doesn't shut the engine down either, a knob has to be pulled in the dash to turn the engine off.

20220213_210111.jpg

20220213_210131.jpg

20220213_210136.jpg

20220213_220723.jpg

As you can see this thing was death trap even when it was new, nonboosted single circuit drum brakes, no roll bar, no dash pad, and no heater, no bells and whistles at all.

20220213_220728.jpg

I pulled and crated the engine and sent it off to be someone else's problem.

20220213_220733.jpg

20220214_185650.jpg

20220215_073233.jpg

At this point, I figured since the 40 was in the garage already that I would go ahead and blow it all apart. 60 power steering, modify the crossmember for an h55, and take the frame for blasting and galvanizing.
The front clip came off

20220215_164015.jpg

The trans and tcase came out, the trans tunnel on this thing was in surprisingly remarkable shape, especially considering it sat outside the last ten years.

20220215_164020.jpg

The bj40s of this vintage were a bit unique in that they had this later style crossmember in them that supported the bell housing. It's nearly identical to the 79 and up 40s but is under the bell housing instead of under the trans. My plan was to move it about 3" back so I could run an H55. Now theoretically, I could just install the H55 and use the existing B bell housing but, I didn't like the idea of all the additional weight of the splitcase hanging off the back of the already longer trans.

20220215_164009.jpg

20220215_172711.jpg

20220217_181452.jpg

20220215_193354.jpg

This was my first surprise. The hunt was on for a new cross member.

20220215_164029.jpg

Pedestal removed

20220218_200047.jpg

Steering flange cut off the shaft

20220218_200057.jpg

This little bearing cruiseroutfit sells is the bomb and worth it's weight in gold for this conversion.

20220218_200733.jpg

20220218_204156.jpg

I had powder coated a column years back and stashed it away for this build.

20220218_204509.jpg

At first glance most of the frame looked pretty good. The rear spring hangers were solid, all the body mounts, even some of the original paint was still visible. Closer inspection however revealed a rough life. It appeared that the inner frame channels were exposed to something corrosive at some point that really took it's toll on the metal. There was also a crack. I didn't feel comfortable using this frame.

20220222_201546.jpg

20220224_174138.jpg

20220224_174143.jpg

20220224_174150.jpg

20220224_174155.jpg

I put a wanted ad in the classifieds and John @Living in the Past came to the rescue. Only hiccup was that the new frame was in Phoenix, Arizona. So in May of this year I drove out and picked her up.

20220417_110808.jpg

20220417_110817.jpg

Fast forward to today. I got the frame off the trailer finally and pulled the axles from the old one and installed them on the new one.

20230102_140454.jpg

The old bj40 frame

20230102_140607.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom