Alternative to OEM hand throttle ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

By the way, you can use pliers to pull and twist the end of the OEM cable without the knob. Less elegant, but works.

But it's so popular these days :meh:

By the way, you can use pliers to pull and twist the end of the OEM cable without the knob. Less elegant, but works.

I was doing that for a while until I fixed it so that the knob goes back on again. I explained what I did few posts up.

Last edited:
@baldilocks , if it is just the nut spining against the dash plastic, why not use a rubber washer or something like that to increase the friction between the nut surface and the plastic dash? I could be misunderstanding the problem but epoxying the nut to the dash seems like it could be problematic if ever you had to take the dash off.

@baldilocks , if it is just the nut spining against the dash plastic, why not use a rubber washer or something like that to increase the friction between the nut surface and the plastic dash? I could be misunderstanding the problem but epoxying the nut to the dash seems like it could be problematic if ever you had to take the dash off.
All in all, the oem hand throttle is flimsy so I went with a toro cable used in one of the earlier posts in this thread. It’s much better.

I bought this choke cable using the link and my install is nice and clean. BUT the darned thing won't hold when I try to set it. Any advice would be appreciated. I left a question for the seller also. Thanks a lot!
Does the knob have an arrow with the word “lock” printed on it?

Well, that bites.

I was unable to find the locking throttle cable I used on Amazon, which would have been my preferred seller. Had to resort to fleabay...here's a link:

For the cable stops I was unsure of what size would be required, so I bought two sizes (from Amazon): Dorman 03337 (1/16") and Dorman 03338 (3/32"). Unfortunately, I don't recall which I ended up using.

Best of luck.

Post #31 of this thread contains very useful pics and info.

Hand throttles are very useful when you are trying to charge your A/C by yourself and want to hold the RPMs off idle.😒 Also useful to increase RPM's to increase water pump flow volume on a hot August day while stationary and out of the vehicle spotting another rig up a trail.

A hand throttle like the one in my T800 or on the lowboy pony motor in theory can be modified to work. Mine is on the shelf awaiting install time.

Well, that bites.

I was unable to find the locking throttle cable I used on Amazon, which would have been my preferred seller. Had to resort to fleabay...here's a link:

For the cable stops I was unsure of what size would be required, so I bought two sizes (from Amazon): Dorman 03337 (1/16") and Dorman 03338 (3/32"). Unfortunately, I don't recall which I ended up using.

Best of luck.
Thank you.

Hand throttles are very useful when you are trying to charge your A/C by yourself and want to hold the RPMs off idle.😒 Also useful to increase RPM's to increase water pump flow volume on a hot August day while stationary and out of the vehicle spotting another rig up a trail.

A hand throttle like the one in my T800 or on the lowboy pony motor in theory can be modified to work. Mine is on the shelf awaiting install time.

Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom