Alternative to OEM hand throttle ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

baldilocks

Battle Ground, WA
GOLD Star
Threads
The oem hand throttle has worked fine for me during the four years I’ve had it but the retention nut comes loose from time to time making it impossible to use the twist lock feature. Last week I went a bit overboard when tightening the nut and now the cable housing spins in the detent that is molded into the plastic dash panel. Otherwise the hand throttle is in perfect order.

I looked around the internet for something else that would work in the stock location but didn’t have much luck. Now I’m considering using epoxy to secure the cable housing to the dash but not super keen on this idea.

Has anyone come up with a non-oem hand throttle set up for the 80 series?

What good is a hand throttle when wheeling an automatic?
I've had plenty of friends use them on standards, but I don't see the use w/ an automatic....
Just curious.

What good is a hand throttle when wheeling an automatic?
I've had plenty of friends use them on standards, but I don't see the use w/ an automatic....
Just curious.

Hand throttle has more than one use. Not just maintaining a speed/throttle setting when under power.

They are useful anytime you want/need to increase alternator speed (as during winch use to keep the battery charged). Or when parked for extended periods of time with A/C on in hot weather (I use mine for that often). Running a York OBA, testing an AC system, etc....

Basically anything you can think of where increased engine/idle speed would be a benefit and you don't want to sit there with your foot on the accelerator.

Hand throttle has more than one use. Not just maintaining a speed/throttle setting when under power.

They are useful anytime you want/need to increase alternator speed (as during winch use to keep the battery charged). Or when parked for extended periods of time with A/C on in hot weather (I use mine for that often). Running a York OBA, testing an AC system, etc....

Basically anything you can think of where increased engine/idle speed would be a benefit and you don't want to sit there with your foot on the accelerator.
Thanks for imparting you’re wisdom. I guess newbies will keep on coming keeping Mud alive.

+2 - used mine 2 days ago for a 20-minute battery charge session @1100rpms. Used it last weekend @1krpms for a winch job and first use of me new grill-mount jump-start port.

Besides, who uses a manual off road anymore? That's crazy! :flipoff2: lol

@baldilocks - are you saying the keyed dash hole is wollered out or the flat spots on the cable housing are rounded off? Mine won't spin at all once in the dash - even without the nut - because of these two characteristics.

Last edited:
Heck its sure is nice as a warm-up tool as well, those -45 celsius mornings, toss the hand throttle on and the cab is warm before you back inside pouring your to-go coffee.

Having used both the pull and twist to lock and the stationary twist in place have to say I prefer the second seems less finicky, and always use the foot to get pedal where you want before setting :cheers:

Great for keeping your heater temp up as well in winter time lol 😂

You can also use it for cruise control on those long trips.

+2 - used mine 2 days ago for a 20-minute battery charge session @1100rpms. Used it last weekend @1krpms for a winch job and first use of me new grill-mount jump-start port.

@baldilocks - are you saying the keyed dash hole is wollered out or the flat spots on the cable housing are rounded off? Mine won't spin at all once in the dash - even without the nut - because of these two characteristics.
The flat spots in the hole actually don’t look too bad but the combination of the small amount of wear there and the fact that the cable housing is also plastic and threaded it’s entire length aloud the housing to spin once and that was enough make it impossible for me snug the nut down good now.

@LandCruiserPhil has a write up using a Toro unit that is more durable than the OEM unit. Here is a link to one of the posts:

One from/for a lawn mower.
Yes, I looked at a few but on the internet not in person and without dimensions and good idea of what I’d be dealing with, I’m apprehensive to order one. I will probably never wear mine out as it doesn’t get used often so I will probably just epoxy it in place unless someone posted up a solid, known alternative.

Yes, I looked at a few but on the internet not in person and without dimensions and good idea of what I’d be dealing with, I’m apprehensive to order one. I will probably never wear mine out as it doesn’t get used often so I will probably just epoxy it in place unless someone posted up a solid, known alternative.
I remember someone doing a write up using something from TORO years ago

I remember someone doing a write up using something from TORO years ago
A link to Phil’s toro cable solution was already posted. Unfortunately the eBay link he provided in 2011 is no longer good.

A link to Phil’s toro cable solution was already posted. Unfortunately the eBay link he provided in 2011 is no longer good.
Whoops. I see that now, and that is the thread I was thinking of. My how time flys.

them’s fightin words! Us Texicans might look you up next time we invade ur state! 😂🤣

Grill mount jump start port...how bout a pic of that?

Outside the box, and probably would take more work than worth, but would be neat to use an older Toyota pull parking brake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom