Builds Alaska60 buys a 40! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
well I found this prize on a farm in utah.
Original owner from 1977. He bought this new and I have the sales receipt and window sticker, along with a 30 year old title.
It does have some issues but I am extremely excited to have a 40 again. My last 40 was wrecked in an accident in 1994 and I have been driving fj60's since. I have plans to do a semi resto job on this.
It should keep me busy and out of trouble for the winter. i will slowly add to this thread as the work continues....
Unfortunately the original owner....(now about 89yo) painted the rig with latex paint years back and it has a ton of latex paint on it.
Not even sure where to start...........
beer first and maybe stare for a few days!
Photo0126.jpg
Photo0125.jpg

Looks like a nice start, post up a lot more pictures. I would prefer a previous owner paint it with latex house paint instead of just letting it rust. Cant wait to see this project going forward.

Latex, water based paint on metal, bad combo. Not sure about latex but a mild stripper should do it.

I did hit one spot with a wire wheel ........took it down quick. several coats of latex.
I am also going to try a stripper (without the brass pole);)

here is a couple shots of what I am dealing with and some of the rust issues and rear sill. I fabed up my own rear sill and am planning to do my own new rear panels too.
Photo0146.jpg
Photo0148.jpg
Photo0150.jpg

here is the rear sill I fabed up. It is 2 x 3 thick wall tube with the curves made from 1/8" flat steel stock with gussets for the body mounts.
Photo0165.jpg
Photo0167.jpg
Photo0168.jpg

Not even sure where to start...........
beer first and maybe stare for a few days!
And then drive it, it's cool the way it is (unless completely unsafe). But I see you've already started stripping her. What's taking you so long?;p

I came over here from the 55 preservation to check out what uncle tom is doing with his damn 40. Which he appears to have named like it was a character straight out of X-men. So I'm looking for his thread that has a post fresh from today that is buried 3 pages in! Holy crap! Apparently everybody has 40's! I guess I'll have to get one too. I did see a 79 for sale pretty cheap the other day......

Nice work, you didn't spend much time on :beer:.
Got my attention, SUBSCRIBED.:cheers:(if you take the time for that)

:beer:Of course I take time for that...:beer:.....I'm american! :beer:sometimes it will take priority..:beer:.especially during those times where we all sit and stare at the work that needs to be done to our rigs:beer: in hopes that it will magically fix itself!:beer:

dont you have a 67 fj40 sitting in your boneyard waiting for you??????:rolleyes:
That one is cheap too.

You sir are correct. Now I'm thinking when I have some time starting in decemberish I will start a thread for its build and call it "uglyoinker builds a 40 cuz tom is too" Now I have to think of a really clever name for my 40. But the 40 is for my woman so it has to be fitting......

You sir are correct. Now I'm thinking when I have some time starting in decemberish I will start a thread for its build and call it "uglyoinker builds a 40 cuz tom is too" Now I have to think of a really clever name for my 40. But the 40 is for my woman so it has to be fitting......

smartass.....
I'll see you thursday. chainsaw in hand!
15 cords huh?

what are your drivetrain/suspension plans?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom