Builds Alaska60 buys a 40! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Im leaving my military wraps backwards because I have never seen a spring unwrap personally. I really didnt feel like pulling the pack apart for that reason.
Oh well .... give me hell!

hell!!!!

take that!

If the 40 turns out anything like those 4 doors behind it then I think you'll do the wrecked one proud. Did the wife have a guilty conscience? Mine does when she makes me disclaim like that... Cheers!

Scottsire said:
If the 40 turns out anything like those 4 doors behind it then I think you'll do the wrecked one proud. Did the wife have a guilty conscience? Mine does when she makes me disclaim like that... Cheers!

She's an awesome girl and very patient too. I'm hoping to have this project done by cruise Moab! The 60 has been a long project too...... That's a whole nother story! Thanks for enlightenment!

Ready by moab? Better keep cracking! That cruise moab comes up really fast when you have alot to do! I better super hurry if I intend to take my silly 40. It still looks like this.....
40 in snow.jpg

Tom,
got the pm....thanks for the paint info. build thread on the 40 is great.....SUBSCRIBED.....my 76 has rust in alot of the same places...rear sill, drivers floor, passenger wheel well by the back foot of roll cage....you said that is where the caulk failed?

I wish I had your fab skills, or any, and I'd be alot farther along...gotta save some dollas and get someone to do my metal replacement....

I did get my axle cut but have yet to turn it!
I'm hoping to turn it this week. and get the knuckles rebuilt too.
I'll get some photos of the turn process and cut procedure when I get them downloaded off my camera.

Been a while since I posted....
I got the axle cut and turned. also added gussets for strength. Also finished the rear corner on the passenger side finished. Made my own panel out of 16 guage. came out pretty good. i'll post some photos up this week. Im presently looking into power steering options now. I have a few 60 gear boxes so I may go that route.
I also cut the rockers out and made the rear wheel wells a bit bigger with the wheel base extention I need to do this. i love the way it looks too.
Pics will follow in a day or two.

Well I got some stuff done over the past couple weeks.
Replaced some rear panles and cut wheel wells for the extended wheelbase.
got the axle cut, turned, and installed SOA.
Rebuilt and installed rear sill as well as rear door jambs.
Cut the rockers down 3 inches.
Heres some pics of the progress.
IMG_1854.jpg
IMG_1897.jpg
IMG_1852.jpg

This 40 project has been put on the back burner for a bit till I get this VORTEC in my friends Steves:flipoff2: fj60....
Hes anxious to get back on the road. Its his daily driver and we're all tired of giving him rides.:rolleyes:
IMG_1873.jpg
IMG_1905.jpg

Nice work so far. I wish I could make progress that fast. Every time I get started, My wife wants to go somewhere. Some day, She'll come back.

Nice work so far. I wish I could make progress that fast. Every time I get started, My wife wants to go somewhere. Some day, She'll come back.

I told her to pack her crap up and go home months ago......
she still hasnt shown up?

Does anyone have a recommendation on what power steering unit I should go with. i have read so many threads on this and all seem to work. What is the easiest and most economical option?

I have a Mini truck unit I put in, back when I had more money than time.
But If I had to do it again I,d go with Marks Off Road Home Page setup he tilts the box looks strong, works well and makes for a clean install.

Quote: ( remember first rule of mechanics Form over function ) Mark Algazy

Wow,thats some serious work,looks awesome.I have a 60 box in the 55 and I really like it,other than the box I bought from Oinker is now leaking.The 40 has a sag,but have not driven it yet.Most think sags the only way to go,but I love my 60 setup.and very easy to remove unlike my sag which will require taking the front end off.Hurry back to your project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom