Builds Alaska60 buys a 40! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

what are your drivetrain/suspension plans?

SOA, dumb 2f, stock 4 speed and case, anti reverse shackles, possibly flip spring. or 60 spring, mini truck power steer, anti wrap or traction bars and quick release sway connects.
figured you would help out too.:p

how about tire chains and a winch for tonto? interesting day today. and we didnt take any pictures!?

how about tire chains and a winch for tonto? interesting day today. and we didnt take any pictures!?

Holy crap!!!!!
I cant believe we didnt have a camera with us????
what were we thinking.
TONTO GETS STORMYS winch soon.
Im attacking stormy today...see what I can get done. be careful out there today by yourself.

waiting for an update......?

heres what I did over the weekend....besides building a chandelier for the wife.

I started with cutting out the rust on the wheel wells. Everywhere the factory caulk failed, is where the rust was....or was worst!

I then moved to the tub floor. amazingly, the floor is in great shape except for the drivers floor section under the seat and foot area. I cut that section out too.
Photo0193.jpg
Photo0195.jpg
Photo0199.jpg

some shots of the drivers floor from underneath and from up top. the bad section was 19 inches by 13 inches. East piece to replace. also the rear sill replacement too. I was able to save one bend corner on the sill. The whole sill was built from 2 x 3 tube.
Photo0196.jpg
Photo0201.jpg
Photo0202.jpg

One question I have is my emblems look as thought they are early 70's font.
I had a 77 back in 1992 - 1995 I remember the emblem being different then this one. Am I correct in saying this or has anyone seen this font on a 77 before? I can only assume the PO swapped them out.

also a shot of a bear print I saw on the river while fishing for coho salmon.
kinda small...huh?
Photo0208.jpg
Photo0206.jpg
pawprint.jpg

I spent a few hours yesterday cutting off this ridiculous rear bumper that was fabbed up by the PO.
It hung down 8 inches lower then the stock bumper and was welded at every point where it touched plus 4 extra gussets that were welded full length. There were over 40 inches of solid weld that had to be cutt off :eek:before this thing came off.
OH........... and to top it off.......
It had some CJ lights that were totally full wrap protection in metal on the bumper too. The PO also welded in some plates to cover up the hole where the OEM lights go on the OEM bumper.

PLASMA CUTTER WAS MY HERO ON THIS DAY!!!
Photo0211.jpg
Photo0210.jpg
Photo0214.jpg

I was able to dismantle the front end yesterday.
Man.............rusty bolts suck!!! I sprayed everything for 3 days before attempting to break any of them loose. I broke 40 - 50% of the bolts. I will be in need of a hardware kit anyway. Here is a couple shots of the front disassembled.
Photo0215.jpg
Photo0216.jpg
Photo0218.jpg

got the pressure washer running yesterday along with the steamer on the gun. This took alot of my crud off the frame for me. Its like having a new canvas to work with. It also cleaned up the engine bay too. The 2F looks great now. I will start cutting and welding panels this weekend...still debating to pull the tub and engine. I think I can get what i want and what the rig needs from underneath and on the frame....which looks fantastic now that it is all clean.

I also found this great visor clip on for auto registration and license. It looks like its from late 70's .......very cool.
Photo0229.jpg
Photo0228.jpg
Photo0231.jpg

Very cool progress! Would love to see the photos a tad bigger. My eyes aren't what they used to be.

Congrats on the purchase. Looking forward to reading through your progression.

when is completion expected? Put that winch on tonto yet? Do you like banana's?

when is completion expected? Put that winch on tonto yet? Do you like banana's?

First off.....You know I like Bananas:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

completion will be when it is........

winch will go on TONTO next week maybe....its off of stormy now!
I will also work on getting bigger pics too.

Man I wish I had half the time to dedicate to my rig that you do... I'd be finished by now!! Looks awesome Tom!!

well...........I havent been here for a while. I have been busy though. I decided to go with the fj60 rear springs in the rear of the 40. I also flipped them and gained 3 1/2 inches on my wheel base in the rear. I also flipped the stock 40 springs in the front and gained an additional 3 more inches in the front. The wheel base now sits at 100 and 1/2 inches. I also SOA the rear and front. I am presently working on the cut n turn now. i have it scarfed down to the knuckle just waiting to heat and turn it. I also made some anti reverse shackles as well as new spring hangers too. Heres some photos to update the progress..
I love the new wheel base!
IMG_1533.jpg
IMG_1534.jpg
IMG_1536.jpg

I currently have the wrong bushing in on the spring hangers....I know!
I welded a piece of angle iron in on the frame to support the new hanger too. Basically boxed the frame on the rear.....
More shots....spring perches too.
IMG_1551.jpg
IMG_1552.jpg
IMG_1537.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom