Air Lift 1000 Install (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just bought the 3 ton floor jack at Harbor Freight a few days ago. I have two sets of 3 ton stands but I think I will need to buy the 6 ton to get the cruiser lifted high enough.

Others may balk at this, I don't know. I use 6 ton stands, and even with them extended out as far as I'm comfortable with my rotors would be on the ground if I located them as far back as you did on your truck.
You might try putting them right in front of the rear lower control arm brackets on the frame and use that brand new jack you have straight under the rear diff. Then only take off the tire from the side you are currently working on so when you disconnect the sway bar, lower shock bolt, and brake line bracket you can carefully jack up under the opposite side with the tire still on(jack under tire- ebrake on) and the opposing side spring should literally almost fall out. Obviously keeping an eye on everything so that you don't go past the limits of your jack and or stands.

Others may balk at this, I don't know. I use 6 ton stands, and even with them extended out as far as I'm comfortable with my rotors would be on the ground if I located them as far back as you did on your truck.
You might try putting them right in front of the rear lower control arm brackets on the frame and use that brand new jack you have straight under the rear diff. Then only take off the tire from the side you are currently working on so when you disconnect the sway bar, lower shock bolt, and brake line bracket you can carefully jack up under the opposite side with the tire still on(jack under tire- ebrake on) and the opposing side spring should literally almost fall out. Obviously keeping an eye on everything so that you don't go past the limits of your jack and or stands.
Interesting thought. That was the problem I had. The rotor was on the ground and I could not get the truck high enough with my 3 ton jack and jack stands. That makes sense what you are describing. I think the 6 ton stands will hit 23"

Weight limitation is not important as much as the width of the base of the jack stand in this case where one rear side is on a jack stand, IMHO. 3 ton jack stands tends flip over when jacking up a side with other side is on a jack stand.

I did this project for the second time. This time I had the 6 ton jack stands. What a difference. It took me 2 hours. I enlarged the holes. Using the 3/4" step bit I drilled a hole on each side closer to the rear of the vehicle. I then wallowed these holes out and filed down the sharp edges. If these air lines get pulled out again I will probably just change the springs. I aired them up and drove around the block looking for as many potholes and speed bumps as I could find. They held pressure. Time will tell if the 2- 3/4" enlarged holes are enough to keep the line attached.

Make sure you watch the hose and bag when you put the weight back on the truck so the bags and hoses are seated in the bottom.

You can run the hoses to a T and one fill valve or fill each side separately. I chose to do each separately.

I ran hoses through bottom spring perch, to the sway bar bracket and then through the frame to the back of the bumper. I drilled through the bumper right by class 3 hitch on each side.

Pictured is 20 psi in the bags with no load. The rear is up 1" from normal ride height. I shot it up to 50 psi and it lifted the unloaded truck 2"
View attachment 525900View attachment 525901View attachment 525902
Can you tell me what size drill bit used to make the hole for the valve?

I did this install and I think I used a step drill bit. It doesn't have to be precise. This is a super simple install.

I used a 3/4" step bit and had to go back and do it again after the hose was ripped out. I ended up drilling 3- 3/4" holes and making a "clover" type pattern. I grinded the sharp edges down. No problems since.

IMG_1958.JPG
Thanks for the quick response guys. Last question would be the hole size for fill valve? I'm ordering a bumper from BIOR soon and would like them to drill the holes then Powdercoated from BIOR. Picture attached.

View attachment 1658469 Thanks for the quick response guys. Last question would be the hole size for fill valve? I'm ordering a bumper from BIOR soon and would like them to drill the holes then Powdercoated from BIOR. Picture attached.

I literally just eyeballed the size with my drill bits with the hole I put in my bumper.

I spent the last week researching airlift bags, mainly because I was interested on what to do with a 4" lifted cruiser. I assumed I needed to go longer in bag, so that the bumpstop would still hit the top of the bag, and provide upward force to level the truck.

However, this is not the case. The bag provides upward force by expanding between the pitch of the coils! You do not need longer bags if you have a lifted truck. I read through this thread as well as others and never saw anyone mention this.

How Do Air Bags for Coil Springs Work?

Nobody mentions in this thread a compressor/leveling system like the Airlift 25870. Is it not necessary, and most people just fill what's needed as needed?

https://www.amazon.com/Air-Lift-258...qid=1532573671&sr=1-5&keywords=airlift+system

I am about to pull the trigger on the Airlift 1000 60728 kit for my otherwise stock 2001 LC.

I just check them once in a while (every month or so) to keep at least 5 psi of pressure in them as the manufacturer recommends. I usually leave 10 psi in them just to make sure they stay up for a while. I increase to 25-30 psi depending on the load I'm towing. If you've done the install correctly, the pressure should only go down very slowly over time.

Chris

Interesting thought. That was the problem I had. The rotor was on the ground and I could not get the truck high enough with my 3 ton jack and jack stands. That makes sense what you are describing. I think the 6 ton stands will hit 23"

I highly recommend doing one side at a time, leaving the tire on the side that you’re NOT working on (especially if you’re new to wrenching like me). I’m thinking about putting a video together for newbies on how this is done. I’ve done it enough wrong times by now to speak on the matter :doh:

I took my 100 for a long trip and then LOADED it down with kid stuff from camp and a weeks worth of my own camping gear and I totally taxed out my Slee heavies.

I have towed my Pig a few times lately and it squats terribly so here we go again.

Another 100. Another set of Air Lift 1000’s on order.

I may only need them once or twice a year but for the price why not.

6FC8E65F-9B31-4606-9906-583A51B13D98.jpeg

One caution for folks installing the Airlift 1000. If you just use the step drill to make the hole in the spring perch larger, it isn't enough to clear the air nipple on the bottom of the bag. The hole is not aligned with the centerline axis of the springs. I discovered that the rubber boss and nipple were being pushed to the side after having my airbags installed for a year. So I had to enlarge the hole. I don't feel like writing it up again but you can see what I'm talking about here:

BIO Rear Bumper Install and Air Lift 1000 Repair

One caution for folks installing the Airlift 1000. If you just use the step drill to make the hole in the spring perch larger, it isn't enough to clear the air nipple on the bottom of the bag. The hole is not aligned with the centerline axis of the springs. I discovered that the rubber boss and nipple were being pushed to the side after having my airbags installed for a year. So I had to enlarge the hole. I don't feel like writing it up again but you can see what I'm talking about here:

BIO Rear Bumper Install and Air Lift 1000 Repair

I read that 3 times and am not sure what you are saying.

Ok. I missed the link to the pics.

So is the larger hole to keep you from not smashing the nipple when you flex out and the bag moved a lot?

Looks good. I guess that’s good insurance. Why not?

Last edited:
I read that 3 times and am not sure what you are saying.

Ok. I missed the link to the pics.

So is the larger hole to keep you from not smashing the nipple when you flex out and the bag moved a lot?

Looks good. I guess that’s good insurance. Why not?

What happens is the nipple is on the center bottom of the airbag, which centers itself inside the coil spring. But the hole in the top of the spring perch is not aligned to this nipple. So just enlarging the hole still doesn't make enough clearance for the nipple to have a hole to go through. Basically, the hole is offset from where the nipple is and you have to make a really big hole to ensure there is enough clearance for the nipple to pass through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom