Air Lift 1000 Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any reason for the type hole you drilled or Ins it just 3 step bit holes?
The shape was the result of not wanting to have to cut the hole bigger, for a third time without going overboard. And yes, it ultimately was the result of making two holes with the step drill and then cutting out the little bits that remained with a Dremel.

I installed the Airlift 60728 kit on my 2006 Lexus LX470 w/ AHC.

I didn't drill out the spring perch, nor did I remove the springs to remove the bumpstops. I put my vehicle on a 2-post lift at my buddies shop, unscrewed the bump stops, sprayed them with a bit of silicone lube and was able to slide them out from the inside of the springs.

I then installed the airlift bags and zip-tied the air line to the nipple (the included clamps didn't hold as the bags move around and eventually work them off). The system works fairly well and was an easy install, but recently blew a bag.

I'm considering running Timbren bumpstops and Non-AHC springs instead of the airlift bags - they're a solid design but I'm not totally sold on their durability when off-roading. I don't tow a lot of weight, but I do put my 701 Supermoto on a hitch tray which equates to about 420lbs of tongue weight. AHC is able to compensate for the weight even with a JB RTT and Pioneer roof rack, and the truck loaded up with goods, but it won't go into High mode. That's why I decided on the Airlift system, since I assume ride quality would be affected if I run non-ahc springs without an additional load.

364003.jpg

I towed the first time with the airlift 1000 kit this weekend. My boat is a 21.5' Chaparral, about 5,000lbs. I put about 20 psi in the bags and it leveled out the ride just fine, but what I noticed is that it was really bouncy at regular speeds on 2 lane roads. Should I add more psi to them, or is this pretty normal for the application? The springs and shocks are both stock. When I put in the airlift kit, I pushed the shocks in with my hand and they returned back to original length. I assume that means they're still functioning.

If this is normal, what might improve this? Better shocks?

I jumped the gun and torched out my lower hole, de-burred it, and sat spring and bag on. Ha, done deal... nope. The air fitting was against the wall of my cutout.
I should have listened to the forum and step drilled the original hole. I had to re-torch the orange area. I did run 5/16 rubber hose out of bag fitting for 10" secured with hose clamps.
Hack saw broke, so I cut my bumps by hand.
I also think the front end came up a 1/2"? Any thoughts?

20190505_110938.jpg

20190504_125210.jpg

20190505_112548.jpg

Why cut the bump stops? I thought the instructions said to remove them completely......
That's what I did.

Why would the front come up?

Not sure. Maybe it's just me. It does look taller. I should have measured the rig at 4 corners.
I wasn't sure about the bump stops, some guys pulled them and some cut them. My kit was #60747

Thank you!

General consensus is not to use the bumpstops. Do your bags stay near the bottom? How much slack airline should I leave for the bag to move? Or do they not move with the minimum 5psi?
I'm have already installed and want these correct before a long overland trip from Oklahoma to CO, then Moab, up to Washington state, and into BC.
So advice would be appreciated.

My understanding from speaking with Reps from airlift is that the bags work by applying outwards pressure inside the springs making the bags try to expand and squeet out betreen the coils. They do NOT work by pressing against the bump stops. If you leave the bump stops in I believe they could cause the bags to overdload and pop in a high load bottom out type situation.

Yes the bump stops should be removed, with the airbags in place they effectively become your new bumpstops.

I have been using mine for a few months now. About once a month I increase pressure to 12 psi for a heavy load and then bleed them down. The rest of the time I've been trying to run them at 3 psi. Instructions say never to let them go below 5 psi, but at 5 the ride becomes bouncy and uncomfortable when empty so that's why I've been running 3. So far so good, the bags have settled in the middle of the spring on both sides. The AHC adjustable ride works great with the bags when loaded and filled too.

Currently just have to manually fill each bag using the valve stem. Has anyone installed a controller/compressor to use with the bags? I'd really love a dual needle, single gauge with a fill/bleed switch and ideally an automatic minimum pressure that's adjustable.

I've actually ran them completely empty when severe offroad camber situations and have never had an issue. Its been about 4 years now. I don't drive with them that low only when on a really bad trail.

I jumped the gun and torched out my lower hole, de-burred it, and sat spring and bag on. Ha, done deal... nope. The air fitting was against the wall of my cutout.
I should have listened to the forum and step drilled the original hole. I had to re-torch the orange area. I did run 5/16 rubber hose out of bag fitting for 10" secured with hose clamps.
Hack saw broke, so I cut my bumps by hand.
I also think the front end came up a 1/2"? Any thoughts?

View attachment 1969830

View attachment 1969834

View attachment 1969835

I'm jealous of your garage's room for activities.

I've actually ran them completely empty when severe offroad camber situations and have never had an issue. Its been about 4 years now. I don't drive with them that low only when on a really bad trail.

Came here to find this answer. How much compression do you think you were losing if running them at the normal 5ish psi on the trail?

I don't know what I'd do without this forum. So much knowledge, real time help, and different opinions/options/ideas.
Thanks to everyone who contributes. This place has save me a lot of $$$$ and time.

Ditching bump stops tonight. Adding a few extra inches of air line and I should be worry free as far as my air lift for my long trip. Thanks guys.

The instructions specifically state to remove the bumpstop for the 100 series - these bags are shared by a Jeep and they are required to re-use the cut bump stops. My 80 series from the past required installation of the cut bump stops - maybe that is where the confusion is. I almost reinstalled the cut bump stops myself before checking the installation instructions and catching that message.

The issue with running them below 5psi is that they can slide out of place. They are designed to stay in place in between the coils and need some pressure to do so.

The issue with running them below 5psi is that they can slide out of place. They are designed to stay in place in between the coils and need some pressure to do so.

And what can happen is when they go back in place will pinch/break the nipple on the bottom of the bag (or at minimum you will have to redo the airline). If you have the metal drilled out enough that might not be a concern with no pressure... but if you only drill/wallow out the recommended amount, especially if you don't get the hole at the exact right spot :bang:, then you may have issues. - The higher the pressure the better the nipple stays in the center.

On a side note, I am a tad jealous of you guys that say the ride is rough with these. I do not have that issue, after hauling around 5 kids most of the time, plus gear on many occasions, and with the occasional trailer my springs need replaced. The air bags are necessary just to handle our every day use :meh:

I'm jealous of your garage's room for activities.

Came here to find this answer. How much compression do you think you were losing if running them at the normal 5ish psi on the trail?
And what can happen is when they go back in place will pinch/break the nipple on the bottom of the bag (or at minimum you will have to redo the airline). If you have the metal drilled out enough that might not be a concern with no pressure... but if you only drill/wallow out the recommended amount, especially if you don't get the hole at the exact right spot :bang:, then you may have issues. - The higher the pressure the better the nipple stays in the center.

On a side note, I am a tad jealous of you guys that say the ride is rough with these. I do not have that issue, after hauling around 5 kids most of the time, plus gear on many occasions, and with the occasional trailer my springs need replaced. The air bags are necessary just to handle our every day use :meh:

I think the holes we did must be the right size, in the right place. I have taken it all the way down to 0 everytime I do severe trails and when done we put 5lbs back in and have never had an issue or leak. I know I run that risk but I'm not too concerned about it.

I've never thought the ride was rough or harsh at all with them but we have a lot of weight we run with at all times anyway so that is probably why.

Almost 8 years to the day I started this thread and another set of bags got installed.

Literally took me an hour start to finish.

I’ve been using my son’s stock 2001 as my tow vehicle and I need to go get 5 yards of dirt tomorrow again so here’s to making the old stocker a bit safer with that heavy load

966A26B6-84DD-4FCD-8FC5-FE0579AF8D6B.jpeg

25# and the trailer did not squat it at all (and it empty is super heavy)

22619DEB-ADAB-4F67-AF07-3EA20BD07201.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom