ABS, VSC Trac, VSC Off, Brake Lights on with ABS alarm. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have read through quite a few other posts of people experiencing a very similar problem, but I was able to get a phone video of mine on the lead up and as it was occurring.

I have a 2000 LC. My dash lights have now come on twice in the morning on my way to work and have shut back off later in the afternoon on my short commute home.

Sounds like a pump or a relay is working/cycling in and out for longer than should be necessary. Sounds like it is under the left side of dash, presumably where one would hear a booster pump issue, but it sounds more inside than outside the firewall. All three times it has happened, it seems to be after being at a stop not long before, moving forward and having the ABS, VSC Trac, VSC Off, and Brake lights all come on with the accompanying ABS alarm. Brakes do not go soft and still work just fine. Took it to my mechanic today to run ABS codes, see what he/they come up with. However, also hoping to delve into some of ya'lls wisdom on these matters and see if anyone here might have a potential answer. See the video link, skip to about 2:09 to the end at 2:58.

Lights on video

(And the airbag light is a separate issue that I am aware of.)

Thanks in advance and let me know if you have ideas worth checking out.

Last edited:
I am seeing similar on my 100, but it is just the Brake and ABS that light up, and there is a relay clicking under the passenger (RH) side of the dash. I believe it is the way the aftermarket radio is wired, and am looking into it and will report back.

I am going to figure out which relay it is and everything on that circuit too.

Hi guys- turned my 2000 TLC on this morning to the same alarm and lights. I tested to make sure I still had brakes (I did) and decided to drive the 30 min to work. About 6 minutes into the drive, the alarm and lights stopped. Do you think this is just a sensor issue?

Testing brakes worked was smart. Driving without knowing why brake light and brake alarm is sounding, not good!

Brake fluid slightly low.
Pressure sensor failing.
Booster motor failing.
Pump failing.
Accumulator failing.
Low voltage.
Are just some of what it can be.

Check for DTC (codes) active and or pending.

Read post #9 for some test: New to IH8MUD and Land Cruisers

Testing brakes worked was smart. Driving without knowing why brake light and brake alarm is sounding, not good!

Brake fluid slightly low.
Pressure sensor failing.
Booster motor failing.
Pump failing.
Accumulator failing.
Low voltage.
Are just some of what it can be.

Check for DTC (codes) active and or pending.

Read post #9 for some test: New to IH8MUD and Land Cruisers
Thanks for this! I am taking in to my independent Toyota shop wed for TLC and will give him these notes. Cheers!

Hi guys- turned my 2000 TLC on this morning to the same alarm and lights. I tested to make sure I still had brakes (I did) and decided to drive the 30 min to work. About 6 minutes into the drive, the alarm and lights stopped. Do you think this is just a sensor issue?
In my case, with a 2000 LC, it did this and would shutoff into the drive as well, but then eventually did not shut off. It seems that it was just in the initial stages of the accumulator failing for low pressure.

I changed the booster motor out without removing the MC and thought that might fix my problem as I could hear my motor making noise, at least I thought. Looks like it was actually the accumulator unit.

I also reset the ABS via the check connector and it helped to stop piezo alarm and lights but then ended up resetting and coming on again anyways.

In an abundance of caution, and my concern to not have to piece meal the repair and then end up paying for a whole replacement anyway, I ended up going to my local dealership and replacing my MC Unit as Toyota sells it. The Dealership worked with me to cut cost down on the MC price and labor. Still, quite the ding in the pocketbook.

If you are looking to source parts, I bought a booster motor from:
98-07 LEXUS LX470 Toyota LAND CRUISER ABS ANTI-LOCK PUMP Motor/actuator Rebuilt | eBay
He also probably can get the accumulator unit.

In my case, with a 2000 LC, it did this and would shutoff into the drive as well, but then eventually did not shut off. It seems that it was just in the initial stages of the accumulator failing for low pressure.

I changed the booster motor out without removing the MC and thought that might fix my problem as I could hear my motor making noise, at least I thought. Looks like it was actually the accumulator unit.

I also reset the ABS via the check connector and it helped to stop piezo alarm and lights but then ended up resetting and coming on again anyways.

In an abundance of caution, and my concern to not have to piece meal the repair and then end up paying for a whole replacement anyway, I ended up going to my local dealership and replacing my MC Unit as Toyota sells it. The Dealership worked with me to cut cost down on the MC price and labor. Still, quite the ding in the pocketbook.

If you are looking to source parts, I bought a booster motor from:
98-07 LEXUS LX470 Toyota LAND CRUISER ABS ANTI-LOCK PUMP Motor/actuator Rebuilt | eBay
He also probably can get the accumulator unit.
Thanks for sharing and for the link. A ding in my pocketbook is not what I am looking for at the moment as I just bought my wife a Sienna. Fingers crossed my Toyota guy gives me good news. I will give him this info as well. Cheers!

Did some searching on this forum and came across several similar issue I encountered. Here's mine and what the prognosis is...For the past week, I had the ABS, VSC TRAC, VSC OFF and BRAKE lights along with the continuous beep come on as soon as I started the engine. It would only happen once or twice a day (not everyday though) and only last about 10 seconds and it would turn off. Never while driving. No issue with braking after the light/sound went off.

So, I got myself a $100 BlueDriver Bluetooth OBDII reader to get a scan on the issue. Never used one in my life and it was actually really simple to use and was able to pull couple codes..C1223 (ABS Control System Malfunction) and C1251(Pump Motor Circuit Malfunction). Hoping it was a simple issue, I did some things you guys have recommended trying:

1) Did the 40 brake pump to check the level and motor (it was fine)
2) Cleaned all 4 ABS sensors. I was lucky that it wasn't stuck and it was a simple task and didn't have to take off any wheels (It was dirty)
3) Checked the battery and for low voltage (it was fine)
4) Checked for brake fluid leaks at caliper/wheel area (no leak)
5) Clear codes and see if it comes back (it did come back)

At the end, the codes came back and the lights and beeps were still there. So, not to take anymore risk, I took it in to my independent shop in San Diego. They used the techstream and pulled the codes and they visually checked the master cylinder unit. They confirmed its the MC and showed some leak.

So, my 2001LC with 172K is getting a new MC assembly and control module as we speak. So, I guess I should be set for another 175K miles! Didn't want to deal with another problem with ABS so I didn't take any risk with used assembly or control module. The price is definitely steep and a bit depressing. This is the most expensive fix I have done to this LC. Still in a bit of a shock.

fullsizeoutput_3582.jpeg

Did some searching on this forum and came across several similar issue I encountered. Here's mine and what the prognosis is...For the past week, I had the ABS, VSC TRAC, VSC OFF and BRAKE lights along with the continuous beep come on as soon as I started the engine. It would only happen once or twice a day (not everyday though) and only last about 10 seconds and it would turn off. Never while driving. No issue with braking after the light/sound went off.

So, I got myself a $100 BlueDriver Bluetooth OBDII reader to get a scan on the issue. Never used one in my life and it was actually really simple to use and was able to pull couple codes..C1223 (ABS Control System Malfunction) and C1251(Pump Motor Circuit Malfunction). Hoping it was a simple issue, I did some things you guys have recommended trying:

1) Did the 40 brake pump to check the level and motor (it was fine)
2) Cleaned all 4 ABS sensors. I was lucky that it wasn't stuck and it was a simple task and didn't have to take off any wheels (It was dirty)
3) Checked the battery and for low voltage (it was fine)
4) Checked for brake fluid leaks at caliper/wheel area (no leak)
5) Clear codes and see if it comes back (it did come back)

At the end, the codes came back and the lights and beeps were still there. So, not to take anymore risk, I took it in to my independent shop in San Diego. They used the techstream and pulled the codes and they visually checked the master cylinder unit. They confirmed its the MC and showed some leak.

So, my 2001LC with 172K is getting a new MC assembly and control module as we speak. So, I guess I should be set for another 175K miles! Didn't want to deal with another problem with ABS so I didn't take any risk with used assembly or control module. The price is definitely steep and a bit depressing. This is the most expensive fix I have done to this LC. Still in a bit of a shock.

View attachment 1985080
I be very interested in your used parts. Please ask shop to hold for you.

I've been tearing them down, looking for clues of why and how we may inspect for signs pre failure. The main thing I'm finding is booster motor control wire corrosion and a relationship to commutator of booster motor.

I'm even getting PM's from guys with pressure problem in 4runners now. They say we've very similar, if not the same master assemblies. Seems a pressure problem is in some of the ABS units. That this can allow booster motor to run to long.

I'm putting a data bases together with my findings. Your's would have value to my dated basis, once i investigate by tearing it down.

Please PM me to see what we can workout.

My Christmas tree was from wheel well sensor, plugging in Techstream gave codes, not sure any code readers will come close to what tech stream can get out of your vehicle. But I didn’t have the beeping.

Just inherited my son's 2000 Land Cruiser...to fix. Ha! Symptoms are dash warning lights...ABS, VSC TRAC, VSC OFF, ACTIVE TRAC & BRAKE all on. No alarms heard. ABS motor runs when key is on...sounds healthy. Brakes seem to work fine and pedal is firm. Did the 40 press brake pedal procedure. Don't know where the ABS sensors are but will research that. When I take my foot off the brake pedal, there is a ripple in the brake fluid reservoir...not sure if that's normal or is an indication of an issue. Hate to start replacing things without having a clue as to what might be wrong.

Here is a short video of the "ripple" in the booster reservoir. Engine running or not, it does the same. Also, I checked my OBD2 for failure codes and there are none. Brakes seem to be working fine but all the warning lights are lit?

If that "ripple" was while pressing the brake peddle, as it sounds. It is normal!
If however, "ripple" with IG key just turned to on (no one pressing brake peddle) you've a bad master seal.

Clear all codes. See if lights ABS, VSC, etc go off when engine running. See if DTC come back or not.

Last edited:
If that "ripple" was while pressing the brake peddle, as it sounds. It is normal!
If however, "ripple" with IG key just turned to on (no one pressing brake peddle) you've a bad master seal.

Clear all codes. See if lights ABS, VSC, etc go off when engine running. See if DTC come back or not.
No ripple with IG key turned on and no one pressing brake. What's interesting is that there are no codes...never were, just the lights. In my opinion brakes seem normal...but lights are lit and no fault codes on my Autel OMB2 meter when I run diagnostics. Never had any audible alarms sound...ever. Not sure of your term "DTC"?

IMG_1228.JPG

I am seeing similar on my 100, but it is just the Brake and ABS that light up, and there is a relay clicking under the passenger (RH) side of the dash. I believe it is the way the aftermarket radio is wired, and am looking into it and will report back.

I am going to figure out which relay it is and everything on that circuit too.
Did you figure out the problem?

Did you figure out the problem?
No! I've been messing with power steering rack bushings. Just finished them this morning...near impossible but I did get the new ones in. I did check all of the ABS sensors (front and back) while trying to keep my sanity. Thought I'd try a task I really could do. I did buy an ABS ECU on eBay and at some time I will try that to see. Will let you know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom