Abandoned 84 FJ60 gets some love, and a 4bt! (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Red loctite all adapter bolts. You don't want them coming apart.

Man sorry to hear about your 60 wows…😵
Hopefully you’ll have it fixed up soon
Thanks Jason. I've got everything figured out now and got the transfer case rebuilt and the clutch ready to go, I'm just waiting for the transmission guy to call me and say he's got it ready. I'm gonna put the clutch and bell housing back on on Monday, so I'm ready to stab the transmission back in as soon as it's ready. It has been driving me nuts to have the 60 down for the last couple of months.
I like my daily driver but it gets old trying to drive something tiny and clean and nice in big city traffic to work every day. In the 60 I don't ever worry about getting hit, I just cruise and enjoy the turbo noises.

Are you still happy with the HX-35? I picked one up for my rig that I'll install as soon as I'm happy with the transmission again.
Do you have a VE pump or a p-pump?
I was thinking the HX35 should work fine with the VE but I'm no expert lol...

Thanks Jason. I've got everything figured out now and got the transfer case rebuilt and the clutch ready to go, I'm just waiting for the transmission guy to call me and say he's got it ready. I'm gonna put the clutch and bell housing back on on Monday, so I'm ready to stab the transmission back in as soon as it's ready. It has been driving me nuts to have the 60 down for the last couple of months.
I like my daily driver but it gets old trying to drive something tiny and clean and nice in big city traffic to work every day. In the 60 I don't ever worry about getting hit, I just cruise and enjoy the turbo noises.

Are you still happy with the HX-35? I picked one up for my rig that I'll install as soon as I'm happy with the transmission again.
Do you have a VE pump or a p-pump?
I was thinking the HX35 should work fine with the VE but I'm no expert lol...
Brother I went with the HX-30 super turbo, Johnny wasn’t kidding about its performance. Not only does it kicked out mad boost but lowered my EGT. I’ve still just got a VE pump but I did upgrade my diesel lift pump that I bought from The Hungry Diesel.

Brother I went with the HX-30 super turbo, Johnny wasn’t kidding about its performance. Not only does it kicked out mad boost but lowered my EGT. I’ve still just got a VE pump but I did upgrade my diesel lift pump that I bought from The Hungry Diesel.
Is the HX-30 the stock 2nd gen 12v turbo?
I have one of those as well. The HX35 (I think?) Was one a buddy had laying around that he said came from a newer 24v 6 cylinder. I still have the non-wastegate turbo from a 1st gen 6bt, but would like a little more ass for towing....

Here’s where I bought mine. If you buy it you’ll need to buy the extras. This is not just a swap an go. There’s a special oil feeder supply flange today top of turbo. The compressor elbow is larger

I talked to the transmission guy the other day, and he is still waiting for parts... I wish I had found someone else to rebuild it, lol. It has been 2 damn months since it dropped it off, and 3 since it broke in the first place.

Monday I installed the clutch, bell housing, and clutch fork with the throwout bearing, now that all that stuff is right. I also started the engine and let it run for awhile, just to keep it fresh and charge the battery.
Whenever he's finally done with the transmission, I should be able to get the truck back on the road in a couple of hours.
It feels like the truck being down has already wasted most of my summer, when I had plans to take my kid camping and wheeling all over.
I would have driven the thing to Moab this coming weekend if it had been together, but instead I'll be riding my motorcycle out there again. I guess I'll try again next year....

I finally got my transmission back! All this time I should have been buttoning up the interior and wiring my electrical accessories but I've been just working a ton of overtime and trying to spend my free time with my family, as well as taking a trip out to Utah and Colorado on my motorcycle.

But now I've changed jobs and freed myself from mandatory overtime, as well as working shorter days, so I'll finally have time to dedicate to fixing up my beloved 60.
I hope to have it back together and drivable next week, and once I can move it around and even stick it in the garage with the AC blasting, I'll get back to rapidly improving the condition of this pile, and can even mow the spot where it has been sitting since March. It's nuts how quick time goes by, and how helpless I feel having to wait for someone else to do a job for me.
At least I saved a ton of money on the rebuild, and can be fairly confident that the work was done right, and good parts were used.
20230713_173958.jpg
20230713_173948.jpg
20230529_182655.jpg

What’d the rebuilder do for the 5th gear nut?

And yes this year is flying by…
The mainshaft nut was left loose. I'm going to clean it and the shaft thoroughly and torque it to 300 ft lbs with red loctite before I install the trans. It seems to be an accepted practice, best I can tell.

The mainshaft nut was left loose. I'm going to clean it and the shaft thoroughly and torque it to 300 ft lbs with red loctite before I install the trans. It seems to be an accepted practice, best I can tell.

Weld the nut to the gear. It'll never come off. Worked great for me.

Welding this much doesn't weaken it, not by any appreciable amount anyway. Ran this one for 10 years.

IMG_20180804_131241.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom