84 FJ60 purchase advice (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thank you. I’m hoping that a dry life in CO has helped keep the foundation from rusting out.
The problem is the road salt. I lived in Colorado for a long time. My 60 was pretty rust free when I got it. The winter wasn’t very friendly to it.

Check the pinions and transfer case output flanges for excessive play. Worn out diffs and t-cases are very common on these things at this point in time. Look for bent suspension parts. Bent leaf hangers and mounts. Etc. I bought mine with very dangerous suspension damage that I didn’t notice until it was nearly too late. I was lucky to have caught it when I did or I might not be here typing today.

Check the frame

Check the frame

Check the FrAmE

for rust

The problem is the road salt. I lived in Colorado for a long time. My 60 was pretty rust free when I got it. The winter wasn’t very friendly to it.

Check the pinions and transfer case output flanges for excessive play. Worn out diffs and t-cases are very common on these things at this point in time. Look for bent suspension parts. Bent leaf hangers and mounts. Etc. I bought mine with very dangerous suspension damage that I didn’t notice until it was nearly too late. I was lucky to have caught it when I did or I might not be here typing today.
Thank you.

A rust free vehicle with a clean chassis and nice paint is worth 12k even if every mechanical component is shot. However a pristine mechanical truck with a lot of rust is not worth 12k. IMO. In summary look thoroughly for rust and especially in the expensive areas like pillars, roof gutters chassis etc

A rust free vehicle with a clean chassis and nice paint is worth 12k even if every mechanical component is shot. However a pristine mechanical truck with a lot of rust is not worth 12k. IMO. In summary look thoroughly for rust and especially in the expensive areas like pillars, roof gutters chassis etc
Yes sir, I have that same philosophy.

I have to say, him being hesitant to drive it out of state makes me like him and think he's more trustworthy. He's just being honest. I have a low mileage Sniper'd 60 that I could probably sell for north of $40k and I'd still be hesitant to tell the new owner I'd trust it on a long haul. It's old. I don't think that is a red flag at all.

I have to say, him being hesitant to drive it out of state makes me like him and think he's more trustworthy. He's just being honest. I have a low mileage Sniper'd 60 that I could probably sell for north of $40k and I'd still be hesitant to tell the new owner I'd trust it on a long haul. It's old. I don't think that is a red flag at all.
100% agreed. I have an old Mercury and I’d drive it out of state but I can’t say I’d recommend it to anyone else!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom