84 FJ60; car audio... creative 6x9 location? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Could y'all give me some of your good installs or ideas?

84 FJ60, and I put in:

New head unit
Small speakers in front doors that don't require new grills
Tweeters on dash
6x9s in rear cargo area quarter panels
Amp under back seat
12" sub in cargo area

The sound is missing mid-range, and the 6x9s in the cargo walls don't really do much. I was thinking about adding some 6x9s in enclosures and screwing them to the side of the 12" sub enclosure, but I was curious if y'all have better ideas.

Any idea on better 6x9 placement? I drive from the driver's seat and not the cargo area after all?

In general, I'm missing mid-range and I'm open to any ideas.

Back in the day (1990) I installed ADS plate speakers in the doors. Back then I would consider myself an audiophile. I was super critical about how music sounded. My home hi-fi was outrageous. Super extreme.
So how music sounded to me was important.
I had a good head unit in the dash (Alpine) and a separate amplifier on the floor.
The sound from those two plate speakers was excellent. No complaints at all.

I’d explore what’s available in plate speakers nowadays. You won’t need those tweeters in the dash. It’s best to keep the sound coherent with speakers together - except for a subwoofer.

Back in the day-
11B5A170-4E06-4EC0-9C62-C69A434B3E74.jpeg

Back in the day (1990) I installed ADS plate speakers in the doors. Back then I would consider myself an audiophile. I was super critical about how music sounded. My home hi-fi was outrageous. Super extreme.
So how music sounded to me was important.
I had a good head unit in the dash (Alpine) and a separate amplifier on the floor.
The sound from those two plate speakers was excellent. No complaints at all.

I’d explore what’s available in plate speakers nowadays. You won’t need those tweeters in the dash. It’s best to keep the sound coherent with speakers together - except for a subwoofer.

Back in the day-
View attachment 3587714
Well this has me rethinking my plan for how I'm going to do a six channel system in my 62 (once I fix water ingress, rust, and get new carpet in)....

Well this has me rethinking my plan for how I'm going to do a six channel system in my 62 (once I fix water ingress, rust, and get new carpet in)....
I found those nice speakers (back in 1990) by visiting a car audio shop and listening to lots of different of types. The ones I got really stood out - so that’s how I found them — by listening. I’d never buy car speakers online without having listened to them previously.

IMG_7869.jpeg
IMG_7868.jpeg
this is what i did. it’s not for everyone but i live the sound.

i put a set of component speakers in my front doors with small tweeter up top and 6 inch down below. i was ok with non OEM grill. i uses a small spacer and the paint matched the grills and spacers to match the door card. it looks pretty good, clears the window has way better sound than any speaker you can fit behind the stock grill and sounds awesome. they are high quality speakers too.
speakers are focal with individual amps hidden under the drivers seat. i have a 10 inch sub in the trunk and two more 6 inch with built in tweeters in the trunk. the front door speakers are where the real magic in these trucks happens though.
maybe not what you’re looking for but just an idea

This thread should grow. I’ve got an Alpine stereo head but I had a couple of 6x9’s in boxes but that
is primitive and it has ended in no speakers. I’ve never heard of ADS speakers but will check them
out. So anyone with decent sound and a good set up in a 60 I’d sure like to see them!!
Mine is a camping rig. I’m never gonna hear anything from the rear. 6x9’s in the rear will get covered
by fridge and gear on one side, baggage and cases on the other.

View attachment 3587888View attachment 3587889this is what i did. it’s not for everyone but i live the sound.

i put a set of component speakers in my front doors with small tweeter up top and 6 inch down below. i was ok with non OEM grill. i uses a small spacer and the paint matched the grills and spacers to match the door card. it looks pretty good, clears the window has way better sound than any speaker you can fit behind the stock grill and sounds awesome. they are high quality speakers too.
speakers are focal with individual amps hidden under the drivers seat. i have a 10 inch sub in the trunk and two more 6 inch with built in tweeters in the trunk. the front door speakers are where the real magic in these trucks happens though.
maybe not what you’re looking for but just an idea
Whooo dang that's nice. Do you have any other non-subs anywhere?

Whooo dang that's nice. Do you have any other non-subs anywhere?
nope. just the two 6 inch in the door and two more in the rear side panels. the fronts just have the component tweeter up top. i disconnect the sub when i put my extra bench in the back for kids and it still sounds great. the sub just rounds out the low end better

Last edited:
When I was in college, I had an Alfa Romeo Spider. I added speakers to the area in front of the trunk space and when I put the top down, the fabric folds would lay on top of the speakers. That blocked the air the speakers were trying to move and the speakers failed. I took some tin and shaped some covers - think dryer/exhaust fan vent cover, which let the speakers breathe. If you are putting gear or something solid up against the speaker, you may be risking the same challenge I had.

nope. just the two 6 inch in the door and two more in the rear side panels. the fronts just have the component tweeter up top. i disconnect the sub when i put my extra bench in the back for kids and it still sounds great. the sub just rounds out the low end better
When you say "rear side panels," are you referring to the back seat doors or the cargo area panels?

6.5 inch component speakers in all 4 doors would be your best bet. Are you running an amp to your normal speakers in addition to your sub? I dont run a sub, just 6.5 inch in the cargo area and like 5 inch in the front doors on a 4 channel amp and they work pretty well. Would like to up the front doors to 6.5s and also put some in the rear doors at some point but for now im good without them

How would I go about doing this? There's nothing there stock; got any tips?
Pull off the door card and have a good look inside for clearance issues. Cut the hole to the speaker size. I imagine a 4" would fit easily, maybe even a 6". Might need some spacers depending on the magnets. While you are in there, add sound deadener and grease the window regulator.

I mounted 6.5" rounds in the rear panel of my 60. There is plenty of room behind the panel. They sound better when the rear seats are down as in the picture. I rarely have the rear seat up so that is not an issue.

20240327_092628.jpg

I put 6x9s in my rear cargo walls but the cardstock is so beat, they were never properly mounted. I'm thinking about grabbing some of the fabbed replacement cargo walls and giving it another go.

I sell ABS cargo panels and speakers are easy to mount to those. I’ve also been working on replicating the 62 cargo speaker setup for use in 60s. That really seems like the move to make there. If you can find all the speaker mounting parts from a 62 and have a little DIY gumption you can get some round speakers to look pretty good in the back. It’s not 6x9, but the install would be super clean.

I sell ABS cargo panels and speakers are easy to mount to those. I’ve also been working on replicating the 62 cargo speaker setup for use in 60s. That really seems like the move to make there. If you can find all the speaker mounting parts from a 62 and have a little DIY gumption you can get some round speakers to look pretty good in the back. It’s not 6x9, but the install would be super clean.
You are a treasure to the Land Cruiser community and this is why. I need these cargo panels too, just not yet. Cylinder Head first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom