84 FJ60 purchase advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking at a 250k vehicle this week. Same owner past 20 years. I’ve gathered that it has been maintained at a local shop but suspect no major systems services or updates. So far, photos look pretty solid for rust and condition, one rear quarter panel spot. Tires seem decent from photos. I’m not looking for a show car. This will be a part time driver for myself. Not my only vehicle. I’m mechanically handy enough - worked on old bikes, VWs, Fords. Don’t do it as a hobby but can do it as needed.

So… aside from driving it, giving it a physical inspection and looking for obvious leaks, gremlins and the likes, what do I need to seriously consider? Yes, I know it will cost more than purchase price, I went through this with a 63 Mercury in the past few years. Yes, I’m willing to do a full inspection and make a list of things it needs to get it/keep it reliable. Ultimately, this is meant to be my around town and occasional off road vehicle. May tow a motorcycle trailer on occasion and go camping.

Owner claims it “runs and drives good” but hedged when I asked if he’d drive it out of state. Hah.

Price is around 12k.

Thanks very much for your helpful input.

well, username checks out, froze us out on pictures. welcome aboard @icebox500 :flipoff2:
we all interpret verbal descriptions differently so for a better prognosis pics'd help. how does the frame look? rust spots a usually much more than meets the eye. what shape is the fuel tank in? pricewise i wouldn't know but with pics some of the wizened LC veterans probably could advise. good luck

well, username checks out, froze us out on pictures. welcome aboard @icebox500 :flipoff2:
we all interpret verbal descriptions differently so for a better prognosis pics'd help. how does the frame look? rust spots a usually much more than meets the eye. what shape is the fuel tank in? pricewise i wouldn't know but with pics some of the wizened LC veterans probably could advise. good luck
Shoot, fair point. Adding pics and comments now.

Photos attached. Thanks @kirvesmies

Broken tail light lenses, messed up(?) glove box door, sad front bumper... I'm sure the seats are worn.

I won't be able to get under the vehicle or deeper into the engine bay until I see it.

00U0U_iPswQpyTbvd_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
00y0y_59k1kUokOTF_0BG0t2_1200x900.jpg
00e0e_2vAhrNfRxys_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg
00n0n_fEP9a7hMz2O_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg
00D0D_7eUl1cqdnbm_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
00D0D_7eUl1cqdnbm_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

engine room looks reasonably clean. i'm thinkin' air intake tube needs r+r. that hole in the leading edge of the rear rocker is saying to me it's open into the interior. is there a vertical seam following down from the back edge of back door? if not, that wheelwell has been worked on

Do you have to smog it where you live? I would make sure the current owner can get it to pass.

See how it starts when cold, check rain gutters for rust, check date codes on tires, listen for a worn out rear differential to the extent that you can...

It looks pretty good from here, aside from that one rust spot. Even has the original center caps on the rear wheels 👍

Do you have to smog it where you live? I would make sure the current owner can get it to pass.

See how it starts when cold, check rain gutters for rust, check date codes on tires, listen for a worn out rear differential to the extent that you can...

It looks pretty good from here, aside from that one rust spot. Even has the original center caps on the rear wheels 👍
Thanks, yes, smog has come to mind as it will likely be required on transfer of ownership. Very much aware of and will check on the gutters issue. Thanks.

looks like driver rear quarter has some rust cut out of it already
check roof gutter for rust
also rear frame area

$12k might be a little much but if it runs/drives nice maybe not. I bought mine just south of you for $6500 with a known bad transmission
I agree. From what I’ve been watching online, I feel like it is in the borderline “fair value” range. That is, if it really checks out as decent as described and we know how that can go…. If it feels like a solid runner with a list of things I can accomplish/update over a few years, I’m inclined to move on it.

Of course, if anyone here wants to tell me I’m nuts, my ears and mind are open.

I agree. From what I’ve been watching online, I feel like it is in the borderline “fair value” range. That is, if it really checks out as decent as described and we know how that can go…. If it feels like a solid runner with a list of things I can accomplish/update over a few years, I’m inclined to move on it.

Of course, if anyone here wants to tell me I’m nuts, my ears and mind are open.
Looks roughly like mine when I got it, even the weird floppy sheepskin seat covers.

I'm still driving it. Though I have blown quite a few seals and gaskets over the years, none happened in the first year.

I think you know that there are unknowns, and that's a good start. If it's not shot with rust and you can swing the $, then do it. Mine was cheaper but so was everything back then.

Looks roughly like mine when I got it, even the weird floppy sheepskin seat covers.

I'm still driving it. Though I have blown quite a few seals and gaskets over the years, none happened in the first year.

I think you know that there are unknowns, and that's a good start. If it's not shot with rust and you can swing the $, then do it. Mine was cheaper but so was everything back then.

Mine was cheaper but so was everything back then. - Ain’t that the truth.

Im glad he got back to you about the rig. I tried to reach out and no response. I had a buddy try to reach out and nothing. I was seriously considering that one even though I wasn't keen on the 15 hr plus drive to look at it. I ended up with a different rig instead. I wanted to see a lot more pictures but nothing.

Im glad he got back to you about the rig. I tried to reach out and no response. I had a buddy try to reach out and nothing. I was seriously considering that one even though I wasn't keen on the 15 hr plus drive to look at it. I ended up with a different rig instead. I wanted to see a lot more pictures but nothing.
Yeah, I’m hopeful. He’s had a complicated schedule but we’re working on it. I’m lucky I’m only an hour away.

I know it’s tight but run your hand around the exhaust manifold where it bolts to the head,top and bottom , preferably just after a cold startup, so you don’t burn yourself . If you feel puffs of leaking exhaust you could probably bargain around with him. It’s a common problem and causes a good loss of power .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom