A New 80 v 100 thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

80/81 or 105 series = last true Cruisers. If it doesn't have full floaters and birf's, it might be a step-up from a prado or 4-runner, but it's not a true bush taxi. 'Tis a fact. I would also add Toyota diesel to that definition, based on personal experiences, but wouldn't want to offend anyone.

I have both and would take any series over the 100/200 if your pulling wrenches. Now, a 105 with HD-FTE would be a different story. But LHD were never darn made.

Last edited:
Is overheating an issue in the 80 that was resolved by the time the 100 came around - do a lot of people upgrade the radiator/fan setup? After years of weekend racing I hate little more than running hot.

Is overheating an issue in the 80 that was resolved by the time the 100 came around - do a lot of people upgrade the radiator/fan setup? After years of weekend racing I hate little more than running hot.
"Running hot" has many definitions here on Mud. The cooling system is by no means "over built" like the rest of the vehicle but, if properly maintained, the cooling system is adequate.

Remember that 80's were originally designed to serve in third world countries where operating conditions can be tougher and maintenance poorer than here in the U.S. Also remember that the people who have had a bad experience are the ones who make most of the noise. Why would someone post up that there truck is running very well on the original head gasket after 350k well maintained miles?? They don't. You mostly hear from the guy who is the new fourth owner of a 20+ year old landcruiser who knows very little, if anything, about it's history and is now having cooling system problems.

Nope, the Land Cruiser has only been one of the most reliable vehicles since the late 1950's early 1960's. It has just been overheating since then. Really people only buy them because they look cool. Even the new 200 series can only go a few blocks at a time.

:rofl:

Here's the deal on 80s and cooling...it's good. Really good. But, you should replace your radiator every 120K miles, and your fan clutch too. Great cooling is a maintenance item. If you aren't replacing your radiator, you are not solving the problem.

I pull a medium size camper (not a pop up) in my 1999 down the express way 70+ at times. the entire family + all our gear, 33" tires, with the ac on full blast all summer including the rear ac. My temp gauge has never gone over the .5 way point. But as Cruiser drew said "great cooling is a maintenace item". I replaced my radiator water pump, and fan clutch last summer. All motors are designed to run in a certain temp range. Its my job to keep it within that range.

Buying an 80 is a decision which rests primarily in emotion, not reason. If you're comfortable with that, go for it. I did, and I couldn't be happier. I love my 80 more every year (5 years in at this point).

I love the 80, but ended up buying a 100 because I couldn't find a rust free one in New England. This isn't close to home for you, but may be worth the trip?

1996 Land Cruiser 29k miles

Get a 100 and build a mini truck on 37s to tow behind it. As much as I loved my 80, when I said F it and started stuffing it down every trail i came to, it lived a very short life. Now I'm back to a linked mini truck on FZJ80 axles. I couldnt be happier. I can kill any trail I want, and always drive home in comfort.

I know this now - a clean, fair-priced 80 will sell the second it hits the market. I'm going to have to check all of the online classifieds pretty rigorously for the next few months.

Took me a year to find the right first one. Only a few months to find the second one. I have a beard and like beer and wanted to be a cowboy too. Green tea, WTF?

I called earlier on a white '97 with 190k for $8,500 - it sounded like they sold it the second they listed it for that price and it was in pristine condition. Some of these trucks are out of control price wise for what they are compared to the prices that I've seen after a month or so of scanning autotrader with increasing regularity.

I'm planning to stick with a '97 or '96 (trying to keep it OBDII)

I called earlier on a white '97 with 190k for $8,500 - it sounded like they sold it the second they listed it for that price and it was in pristine condition. Some of these trucks are out of control price wise for what they are compared to the prices that I've seen after a month or so of scanning autotrader with increasing regularity.

I'm planning to stick with a '97 or '96 (trying to keep it OBDII)
Isn't the 95 OBDII? It wasn't mandatory, but I think Toyota still complied. I've got one of each. 94 dash is much better looking.

Slee says not fully compatible until 1996. I searched and found that some late 95s might be OBDII compatible but not all of them were.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom