A New 80 v 100 thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Box Rocket Thanks for the thoughtful and thorough reply. I see all of your points and it's always good to get experienced feedback. I'll be honest... your post above about looking at 200s made me google "200 series Land Cruiser rock crawling Moab", just to see what's out there!

@Box Rocket Thanks for the thoughtful and thorough reply. I see all of your points and it's always good to get experienced feedback. I'll be honest... your post above about looking at 200s made me google "200 series Land Cruiser rock crawling Moab", just to see what's out there!
I'm sure we'll see more and more 200 series out there getting wheeled hard as the prices come down on the older ones.

Now my son wants an FJ60. I need something that gets more than 10, 13, 15 mpg!
Yea me wants one too! I had one bout 15 years ago and here is a pic of how it ended up. BTW, out of all cruisers/various series owned, the 60 was my favorite... Thing was a tank!

DSC00533.JPG

How do you get the roof rack wrapped around the rear axle? :confused:

Yea me wants one too! I had one bout 15 years ago and here is a pic of how it ended up. BTW, out of all cruisers/various series owned, the 60 was my favorite... Thing was a tank!

Man you need a warning before posting carnage like that! I just cried in front of all of my friends! That was i sad day indeed,
I hope no one was hurt!

One of my friends had a pretty heavily modded orange 60 in highschool. It was a vastly different experience from our buddy's 80. I'm sure the 60 guys are saying things about the 80 that all of y'all have been saying about the 100.

My fiance and I took the dogs on a walk this morning and saw a 100 and a 200 - she's a big fan of the 200. Maybe I can work some magic and get the RX traded in for a used 200 at some point. That's a different discussion though.

I think to justify getting an 80 over 100 I may have to rethink how important f/r lockers are in my search. I've found some pretty good looking 80s so far but none have lockers. I really like some of the 80s on the classifieds here but I would rather start out with a stock truck to work with.

Buying a modified truck can save you a lot of money....

I don't know where you're located because I am on my phone but if you're near any of the big cruiser shops like Slee, Iron Pig, etc. I would suggest getting over there and making friends with those guys so if one of their clients is thinking about selling a clean truck that has the work already done you would know.

And I get it a huge part of owning a new project is the fun research, planning and execution at least for me, but there are deals to be had on modified trucks.

One of my friends had a pretty heavily modded orange 60 in highschool. It was a vastly different experience from our buddy's 80. I'm sure the 60 guys are saying things about the 80 that all of y'all have been saying about the 100.

My fiance and I took the dogs on a walk this morning and saw a 100 and a 200 - she's a big fan of the 200. Maybe I can work some magic and get the RX traded in for a used 200 at some point. That's a different discussion though.

I think to justify getting an 80 over 100 I may have to rethink how important f/r lockers are in my search. I've found some pretty good looking 80s so far but none have lockers. I really like some of the 80s on the classifieds here but I would rather start out with a stock truck to work with.

Adding the locked axles, wiring, and computers isn't a monumental task. If you find a great deal on a clean non-locked rig jump on it. All of the stuff you'd need can be had in good shape for under 2k if you are patient. Plus, you can rebuild those axles on the garage floor before install.. reducing downtime for most 80s you'll find out there... Unless the axles have already been gone through.

As many have said 100 is a better on the road and 80 is better off so your pick!

Personally I would get the nices stock 80 with no lockers and add ARB or Harrop or Aussie depends on huge budge and need the. You already are way, way ahead of game in capability and reliability.

I am constantly considering picking up a 100 series to replace my 80 but just can't do it. I've got lots of time in both so I know what to expect from both and the 100 just doesn't get me excited like the 80 does. A 200 with the 5.7 on the other hand......I would make that switch, but can't afford it.
I feel the exact same way. I really do like the 100 but it just doesn't get me excited like the 80. On every car forum I've ever been on, people have always loved to talk about "soul" and while I mostly find that annoying I really think that applies here. The 80 has it and the 100 just doesn't.

As for the 200, I still dont think I could bring myself to let one replace my 80. In addition to the 80 though, now were talking.

....I don't know where you're located because I am on my phone.....

Cool little trick I learned, tilt your phone to landscape mode and it'll display sigs and location

I love my 80 but I'm really considering talking my wife into getting a 100 to play around with... I really miss having a V8...

Carry on....

Here's some food for thought that I haven't seen mentioned yet....

I always wanted an 80 for it's off-road capability, but was struggling with this same decision myself 2 years ago, for the same exact reasons... no, I don't need an off-road tank, but I do need a road worth rig, that can do some mild off roading..

I went with the 80 in the end cuz, well, lockers...

Well... those lockers have caused me more maintenance headaches than I care to admit, and by maintenance, I mean repairs to damage caused by getting into situations I would never have even thought of getting into without lockers.. lol

I'm still happy with the decision I made, but now I need a 100 for the wife, cuz she thinks the 80 looks stupid having been deflared "eastern white pine" style :D

Eta: for the record... the 80 is technically my wife's dd... I drive 75-250 mi a day for work, so the 80 isn't a viable option for my dd. I use a Camry which I also love, and has more than once taken me over the sandwich notch rd in NH.

OP, your not asking yourself the right question and that is what is your budget? Well you're asking that in an indirect way.

I'm still pretty flexible with my budget. I'm keeping the S2000 for sure so this will be a second car. I'd really like to not spend more than 15-20 total. Most of the stock 80s I see are in the 9-11 range but in that range they can have 115,000 miles or 260,000 miles so it looks like a waiting game to find one without a ton of miles on it. I'd like to be able to fit some initial upgrades in my total budget - front bumper, tires, new head unit and speakers and whatever needs to be brought back up to spec.

This budget seems pretty doable - waiting it out for the right truck is a different story. I've made a lot of good car buys and one horrible car buy on a 996 C4 so I'm still a little trigger shy about finding a truck I know will be in tip top shape on the used market. I'll probably end up traveling to get it which makes the process more difficult because I'm going to have to see pictures of every inch of the truck before I load up and go look at one.

I am in the 80 beats 100 off road and vice verse for tarmac camp. But the OP's post's mentioned wrenching for himself and maintenance issues. I had the LR Disco (Avatar) and it was a brilliant all rounder, road use, competitions and so forth but, I was under it most weekends. The design and original parts quality of the 80, makes it tough and reliable once maintenance is up to scratch. The 80 is IME as reliable as the 100, perhaps more so as there is less to go wrong in the first place. Forget the 200 unless you want to hand your car over to a tech garage, true they are reliable but when they go wrong they REALLY go wrong!

Having the tools, the tech gear and the knowledge, I can make the choice anytime, I chose the 80, job done!

regards

Dave

All mechanical facts aside - once you start down the rabbit hole of looking at 80s it's hard to turn back. I used to see 100s all over the place and think I can't wait for one of those. Now I see an 80 driving around and make everyone around me look at it until it drives off. I can see all of the benefits of the 100 and somehow I'm interested in none of them.

I assume the straight six in the 80 is less complicated than the straight six turbo in the supra and I've done a head gasket on a supra when I was 17 (huge pain). There really isn't much going on as long as you mark where everything plugs back up to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom