Builds A New 55 Owner Intro (cgn1976 thread) (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Glad it held together for you to get home.
Turns out they can get to it IF i pull the driveshaft and bring it in. Oh well....might wait until midnight when it cools down.

Let me dig a litte and see what i can figure out on those. Surley somebody already has had this same issue
Looks like the Saginaw PS pumps are either press on pulley or keyed version with a lock washer and nut. I have the press on style. They sell wider groove pulleys at Man-a-fre that most people use on this set up, but they only seem to come in the keyed version. Wasn't able to locate any pulleys with the Toyota wider belt (5/8") that will press on to the pump I have. Doubt the one you have will either, although I could easily be wrong on this. The Saginaw pumps I saw online all say it's a 5/8" thickness shaft, but I measured it at 3/4". Think I might just track down the Man-A-Fre pulley and source a new pump. Not that expensive.

I got a two-piece pulley, i think from FJ40Jim many years ago. Think you can find them at Grainger too.

20220725_134057.jpg

20220725_134134.jpg

20220725_134124.jpg

Finally got what I need and a day set aside to work on it. Got the Man a fre pully, but had to buy a new PS pump. Tried like crazy to figure out what cars had the 5/8" keyed shaft but couldn't get there at Napa. Ended up with a nice one from CVF for a little more $. They've had a handful of hard to find items to make my F to 2F swap work. After the minor overheating issues at the pig party, i bought a new Mosley radiator and an overflow tank. With a little luck, all going in tomorrow. Hoping to run a little cooler amd finally put an end to my belt slip issue causing the PS and alternator to under perform. Ill post pics tomorrow. 🤞

Will be interested in the install of the Mosley radiator and pictures. Since the PP I have had to put in a new power steering pulley, new fan, and new oil pan for my 2F.

Will be interested in the install of the Mosley radiator and pictures. Since the PP I have had to put in a new power steering pulley, new fan, and new oil pan for my 2F.
Didnt you do the Summit rad. in yours? The Mosley is a little thicker in the core but best I can tell my fan and pulley set up will clear by less than a 1/2". If im right, not sure how I'll ever change a belt without pulling the rad! If it runs cooler, Ill be happy. Eye test it looks exactly like oem size and bolt pattern. Adding an aftermarket temp gauge too. Not sure where I'm actually at with the stock.

Why new oil pan?

I have the original radiator that I had flushed and tested at a rad shop. When replacing my fan that chipped a 2” chunk on return from PP I am having to remove the radiator and fan shroud because yep there just isn’t room with the new fan and fan clutch. I had a very small leak in the oil pan that became a very big leak. Known issue where the welds to the small oil pan protective plate come through if bumped on a trail or maybe if engine set down on pan at some point.

Had to trim the shroud a bit. No way I can change a belt without pulling it, but the alt is finally running full charge, PS is better. Ran a tad hot on test run but pretty sure it just neds to fully bleed the air out. Added the overflow tank too. It sucked some juice back in after its first cool down, so on the right track. All in all, a good day!

The new radiator is a game changer temp wise. Im using the stock gauge so not sure about the actual temps, but based on over heating this summer, it would be over the second line on the gauge when it did. Now, even in 90 plus heat, its running below the first line! I have an aftermarket temp gauge I'm gonna put in, but am waiting on a fitting to arrive. Ill report temps then.

Also the truck is running stronger with alt at full 14.5 volts instead of just over 12. Loving these upgrades / fixes.

Finally got what I need and a day set aside to work on it. Got the Man a fre pully, but had to buy a new PS pump. Tried like crazy to figure out what cars had the 5/8" keyed shaft but couldn't get there at Napa. Ended up with a nice one from CVF for a little more $. They've had a handful of hard to find items to make my F to 2F swap work. After the minor overheating issues at the pig party, i bought a new Mosley radiator and an overflow tank. With a little luck, all going in tomorrow. Hoping to run a little cooler amd finally put an end to my belt slip issue causing the PS and alternator to under perform. Ill post pics tomorrow. 🤞
CVF?

Are you talking pulley for your PS pump?
The one on my 4 has a wobble, but there has to be a cheaper alternative out there for a basic pulley...

I have the original radiator that I had flushed and tested at a rad shop. When replacing my fan that chipped a 2” chunk on return from PP I am having to remove the radiator and fan shroud because yep there just isn’t room with the new fan and fan clutch. I had a very small leak in the oil pan that became a very big leak. Known issue where the welds to the small oil pan protective plate come through if bumped on a trail or maybe if engine set down on pan at some point.
When I replaced the original oil pan on my 40, it had corrosion between the pan and skid plate. Before I installed the replacement, I can a bead of gasket sealer between the pan and the skid plate. should keep some liquid out...

Racing parts company that. Makes aftermarket stuff. They had the double pulley I needed and the PS pump that worked with the man a fre pulley

Last edited:
The new radiator is a game changer temp wise. Im using the stock gauge so not sure about the actual temps, but based on over heating this summer, it would be over the second line on the gauge when it did. Now, even in 90 plus heat, its running below the first line! I have an aftermarket temp gauge I'm gonna put in, but am waiting on a fitting to arrive. Ill report temps then.

Also the truck is running stronger with alt at full 14.5 volts instead of just over 12. Loving these upgrades / fixes.
Ran about 190 yesterday steady with temps in the 90s and I'm at about 5500 ft. Not too bad

I know a link was posted a couple posts ago but that was to their front page. CVF makes 2F specific v-groove pullies. Fair prices for bling bling bling looking pullies!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom