A little radiator blow out captured on Ring cam. FZJ80 plastic radiators.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TexFJ

SILVER Star
Threads

Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 10.48.12 AM.png

no edits to that vid... I just loved seeing the Toyota Red being spit out the front. Shroud, Fan mangled together and the AC condenser seems to be bent from the blow out but I'll try to keep. I had ordered a replacement radiator but perhaps thinking about it, the CSF may be better? (metal vs. plastic)

First off, awesome video!

It's unfortunate that it blew out, but how many years/miles were on it? Also any indication that the radiator cap wasn't letting pressure out properly?

no edits to that vid... I just loved seeing the Toyota Red being spit out the front. Shroud, Fan mangled together and the AC condenser seems to be bent from the blow out but I'll try to keep. I had ordered a replacement radiator but perhaps thinking about it, the CSF may be better? (metal vs. plastic)

Mine didn't explode like that when it went...but it DID expel a huge cloud of steam when the top 'split'. Fortunately I was less than a half mile from home and limped on in. Put an all metal CSF in mine (about 8 yrs ago now) and all has been fine. I did remove it last year when I replaced my head gasket to clean it up. It gets pretty dirty sometimes from using it here on the ranch and you just can't 'rinse' all the dirt off with the radiator in the vehicle. I've had no problems with it cooling sufficiently, but others have....so read up on it.

CSF 2517 radiator.JPG

Cleaning mine:

Radiator1.jpg

Radiator2.jpg

Radiator Clean.jpg

If my CSF blew i think i would have to change the undies i am not even wearing yet. Impressed that hoses or other things didn't letgo before that. Hope you figure out what caused it

TexFJ: was that your radiator, or just something you found on youtubby??

Would be interesting to know which brand and what the age of the radiator in the video was.

Last edited:
First off, awesome video!

It's unfortunate that it blew out, but how many years/miles were on it? Also any indication that the radiator cap wasn't letting pressure out properly?
248K.... the overfill tank was overflowing.

Mine didn't explode like that when it went...but it DID expel a huge cloud of steam when the top 'split'. Fortunately I was less than a half mile from home and limped on in. Put an all metal CSF in mine (about 8 yrs ago now) and all has been fine. I did remove it last year when I replaced my head gasket to clean it up. It gets pretty dirty sometimes from using it here on the ranch and you just can't 'rinse' all the dirt off with the radiator in the vehicle. I've had no problems with it cooling sufficiently, but others have....so read up on it.

View attachment 2626868

Cleaning mine:

View attachment 2626870
View attachment 2626871
View attachment 2626872
I bought the CSF for my FJ62 last year... I guess I try to match the original so I got the plastic one from Denso this time... Japanese right? price was right compared to OEM... who does make the OEM one?

Did you shut the engine off immediately or after changing your underwear?
OH ya... shut it off immediately... we'll see if anything happened.

@TexFJ - Might want to check if your water pump seized. It sounded like fanbelt squeal right before radiator blew.
It didn't seize but I don't like the noise it's making when I turn it now... in there already so I just ordered an Asin.

If my CSF blew i think i would have to change the undies i am not even wearing yet. Impressed that hoses or other things didn't letgo before that. Hope you figure out what caused it
Amazingly the hoses were fine except the transmission oil hose... it tore apart.

Decided to call it quits early that day! Wow.

Looked at some old receipts from PO. Radiator was from 2012 and it seemed to be a Silla radiator 7929A?????, what ever that is.

Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 7.29.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 7.31.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 7.30.18 PM.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom