Time to replace the radiator (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
danspassionforcars.blogspot.com
Any recommendations for best place to get a new oem radiator for my 97 LC? Looks like I can get one from Olathe Toyota for $385. Any better options? What else should I take care of while I'm replacing that?

I hate to throw this at you but there are numerous threads on this if you Search the 80 forum. Depending on how you use your 80 there are options. I ran the CSF Copper/Brass in mine as a DD for several years. Many do not like this radiator and I found it to heat soak on long uphill grades pulling my M100 camping trailer in 95 deg F plus heat with the AC on. Daily driving mine with this radiator and no trailer was never an issue. I am not running a Ron Davis and can say it handles all the heat generated from grades, 100 deg F plus temps, AC on and more! There is a aluminum/plastic aftermarket option many like on the opposite end of the cost spectrum that performs well per forum posts but I have no experience with it.

I hate to throw this at you but there are numerous threads on this if you Search the 80 forum. Depending on how you use your 80 there are options. I ran the CSF Copper/Brass in mine as a DD for several years. Many do not like this radiator and I found it to heat soak on long uphill grades pulling my M100 camping trailer in 95 deg F plus heat with the AC on. Daily driving mine with this radiator and no trailer was never an issue. I am not running a Ron Davis and can say it handles all the heat generated from grades, 100 deg F plus temps, AC on and more! There is a aluminum/plastic aftermarket option many like on the opposite end of the cost spectrum that performs well per forum posts but I have no experience with it.
No worries at all. I want to go oem, which is why I asked specifically about oem replacements.

That's a very good price for an OEM radiator, buy it.

In addition to above, now is a good time to do a cooling system flush before you remove the old radiator, be sure to open the engine block drain while doing your flush. Replace all the radiator hoses and the Thermostat even if it seems to be working if you don't know it's age. Replace Alt belt idler pulley and AC belt tensioner pulley, also the rubber isolator/cushions, they turn rock hard with age.

That's a very good price for an OEM radiator, buy it.

In addition to above, now is a good time to do a cooling system flush before you remove the old radiator, be sure to open the engine block drain while doing your flush. Replace all the radiator hoses and the Thermostat even if it seems to be working if you don't know it's age. Replace Alt belt idler pulley and AC belt tensioner pulley, also the rubber isolator/cushions, they turn rock hard with age.
Thanks! Radiator purchased along with recommended parts. Appreciate the recommendations. Looking forward to doing the job.

And if you want to make it a major job, replace all the water heater hoses and bypass hoses going to/from the throttle body and the top one going to the radiator.. That's a much bigger job as the firewall heater hoses are a pain to get to. If they look OK maybe save that job for when you replace the valve cover gasket.

Have you (or the PO) already replaced the Pesky Heater hose (PHH)?

Consider the bypass hose nipple protector a couple of vendors sell for the radiator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom