Airbag light came on after replacing radiator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had to replace radiator (lifetime warranty) and I took to the same guy who installed one 4 years ago. Next day I started the truck and noticed airbag light is on. I am sure mechanic had to remove the battery in order to install radiator. Now my question is, why airbag light came on???????? Did he do something wrong or????????????

I had to replace radiator (lifetime warranty) and I took to the same guy who installed one 4 years ago. Next day I started the truck and noticed airbag light is on. I am sure mechanic had to remove the battery in order to install radiator. Now my question is, why airbag light came on???????? Did he do something wrong or????????????
Where's the sensor for the airbags?

Try resetting the light there is a procedure for it I just did this a month ago. Google it... it's on mud

I believe the airbag sensor is on or near the frame rail below the radiator in a metal cylinder- I could be wrong.
It's possible that wire was disconnected or damaged. Crawl under and look for loose or crushed wires.

No power for a long period of time can cause the airbag light to come on but IME it can take weeks or months with no power for that to happen.

Reseting the system can be done by using a Scan tool with that ability or the manual method.

Here's a couple of previous discussions:

Search terms:
Airbag SRS light reset resetting procedure

Last edited:
I believe the airbag sensor is on or near the frame rail below the radiator in a metal cylinder- I could be wrong.
It's possible that wire was disconnected or damaged. Crawl under and look for loose or crushed wires.
Is it on driver's side or passenger side?

No power for a long period of time can cause the airbag light to come on but IME it can take weeks or months with no power for that to happen.

Reseting the the system can be done by using a Scan tool with that ability or the manual method.

Here's a couple of previous discussions:

Search terms:
Airbag SRS light reset resetting procedure
If the airbag sensor disconnected or damaged, resetting it will not help, correct?????

IDK what the logic is in our Airbag/SRS system. We all have had our batteries out for hours at a time without the airbag/SRS light coming on,. so having your battery disconnected for a few hours by itself should not be long enough to turn on the light IME.

@jonheld might have more to add.

No, that's an air temp sensor for the HVAC system.

No, the air bag sensor is an impact sensor under the center console. The only thing that will fire the airbag is if the impact sensor senses the impact due to sudden acceleration in a given direction. There is nothing in any of the bumpers or fenders that control the airbag.

It is either completely unrelated or due to the battery being disconnected for an extended period of time as @Kernal stated.

Follow the reset procedure in the FSM and move on.

No, the air bag sensor is an impact sensor under the center console. The only thing that will fire the airbag is if the impact sensor senses the impact due to sudden acceleration in a given direction. There is nothing in any of the bumpers or fenders that control the airbag.

It is either completely unrelated or due to the battery being disconnected for an extended period of time as @Kernal stated.

Follow the reset procedure in the FSM and move on.
I took to the shop that replaced radiator and he tried to reset it with the scanner, but scanner wasn't able to communicate with airbag sensor...
Is it a hardware issue or ? BTW, he was trying to tell me that the issue is with driver's side seatbelt buckle??????????????

I took to the shop that replaced radiator and he tried to reset it with the scanner, but scanner wasn't able to communicate with airbag sensor...
Is it a hardware issue or ? BTW, he was trying to tell me that the issue is with driver's side seatbelt buckle??????????????
Did you Reed what advice that has been given to you about this. A regular scan tool isn't going to do it unless it's the specific toyota one . You should be able to reset it at home easily. And no it's not the seat belt.

Seat belt sensor and airbag sensor are not related for this.

If anything, I would lean more towards a clock spring, but do the FSM reset first.

Probably doesn't help the OP, but.....My airbag light came on after my battery was disconnected for a few weeks, but it went away on its own after a few days of normal operation.

By the way, what is a clock spring?????????
It's part of what activates the horn and is between the steering wheel and steering column.

It allows the electrical connection during rotation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom