A Harrowing Tale of Incompetence - How I destroyed a steering knuckle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Replace the hub- that is a mission critical component that I wouldn't trust a helicoil or rethread to. See if someone on here has a used one- post up a wanted thread in the parts fs section- .

Replace the hub- that is a mission critical component that I wouldn't trust a helicoil or rethread to. See if someone on here has a used one- post up a wanted thread in the parts fs section- .
Even with 4 bolts properly torqued and 5th one also holding the torque?

I took one wheel hub, to a machine shop and had them burn out my busted thread chaser. Then they install a time sert "IIRC", it held the torque. Has about 5K miles on it now.

Last edited:
I took one wheel hub, to a machine shop and had them drill out my busted thread chaser. Then they install a time sert "IIRC", it held the torque. Has about 5K miles on it now.

I also put a time sert in one hub. Now has 30k miles on it and hasn’t budged.

While the hub is at the machine shop getting a thread insert, I started pulling out the busted knuckle assembly from the truck. The nuts holding bearings weren't willing to budge so I had to use my impact gun on them. The spindle threads are definitely kaput.
Once the nuts came off the claw washer is just not willing to come out. I will take whole knuckle off and then disassemble it later just to see what it looks like.
20200223_162939.jpg

Wow... she is fighting you every step of the way huh...
You can say that again! This outer edge of the axle is mushroomed so the axle can't pass through the needle bearing in the back of the spindle. Looks like I need to fire up my trusty grinder!
20200223_162948_LI.jpg

Wow... so now at this point I would be talking to the "mechanic" that did this to you and telling him he owed you some money. Had it all come apart semi-easily that would have been one thing, but the fact that he screwed the pooch this badly on this... Yeah may be time to take some legal action, this is just ridiculous and shady.

Filed the mushroomed axle and got the hub/knuckle off. Next fight is to get the CV off from the diff side. A few screw driver and hammer didn't prove useful.

Filed the mushroomed axle and got the hub/knuckle off. Next fight is to get the CV off from the diff side. A few screw driver and hammer didn't prove useful.
A few quick, hard pulls straight out should get it to release. Never had much luck with the hammer + board/chisel/pry bar approach, but some ol’ fashioned lateral pulling has always worked for me.

On my recent job, I had to use a long pry bar and a sledge. I couldn't pull hard enough to get it out. I'm pretty sure I was forced to smack it in an area the manual stated not to. 🤷

A few quick, hard pulls straight out should get it to release. Never had much luck with the hammer + board/chisel/pry bar approach, but some ol’ fashioned lateral pulling has always worked for me.
On my recent job, I had to use a long pry bar and a sledge. I couldn't pull hard enough to get it out. I'm pretty sure I was forced to smack it in an area the manual stated not to. 🤷

That might be what I'd have to do. I used a 200lb sliding hammer (me) and pulled it all I have and it didn't budge.

Any chance you could see which splines are goobered up and potentially file the goobered spot? I had this type of issues when trying to remove a cassette on my last mtb where the splines on the freehub (aluminum freehub body) had been chewed up enough by the last set of rings to cause it not to want to come off. Was able to smooth down the "bite" marks enough to allow the freehub to finally come free. Could you potentially do the same here?

Any chance you could see which splines are goobered up and potentially file the goobered spot? I had this type of issues when trying to remove a cassette on my last mtb where the splines on the freehub (aluminum freehub body) had been chewed up enough by the last set of rings to cause it not to want to come off. Was able to smooth down the "bite" marks enough to allow the freehub to finally come free. Could you potentially do the same here?
Yeah I was able to file down the mushroom and get the axle hub/knuckle off. It's the CV axle that's now stuck in the front diff. Here's what the axle looks like:
20200225_145038.jpg

I need to find a bigger brass bar mine isn't enough

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom