A Harrowing Tale of Incompetence - How I destroyed a steering knuckle (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I need to find a bigger brass bar mine isn't enough
At this point, just use a pry bar to hit it. Not attempting to save the axles, just need to pop it out.

I use a 3/4 brass drift and 5lb sledge.

But you're not reusing FDS, so use steel drift. Or a 20lb crowbar. Trick is to give a hard smack or pop to snap C-clip out of pocket.

A few quick, hard pulls straight out should get it to release. Never had much luck with the hammer + board/chisel/pry bar approach, but some ol’ fashioned lateral pulling has always worked for me.
^^ This

Compress (push in) the axle as much as you can and then give it a few very deliberate pulls/yank - if it doesn't release, turn 1/4 turn and try again. I dont recommend this on an axle you plan to re-install as this can damage or pop out the retaining ring that keeps the bearing cage from falling out on inside joint.

Decided to stop pounding on the axle. Picked up the hub from the machine shop all buttoned up (pic1). Packed up the new bearings and filled all cavities with fresh grease. Mostly all put together just need to deal with the axle and then torque it properly:
20200226_082011.jpg
20200226_111357.jpg

Not a big deal:
I like to install and torque in knuckle, before installing wheel hub on it. Makes much easier to handle with less weight.
I also like to flip the wheel bearing adjusting nut flat side in. It is how factory does both of them.

I have been looking at your Youtube channel for each step - they are invaluable IMHO. I think I am on the home stretch here. I just need to find a hammer large enough to pound out the stubborn CV axle.

Paul - could you PM me your paypal ID? I would like to send a token of appreciation for all of your help.

Decided to stop pounding on the axle. Picked up the hub from the machine shop all buttoned up (pic1). Packed up the new bearings and filled all cavities with fresh grease. Mostly all put together just need to deal with the axle and then torque it properly:
View attachment 2222420View attachment 2222421
Just a head's up - Those new rotor to hub bolts that you have are class 8.8, whereas the OEM bolts are class 11T, the latter of which have >2 times the tensile and yield strength. I would consider replacing those with the OEM bolts before you put this back on the truck. Toyota OEM Bolt Markings

It's mostly all put together. New brake line installed and brakes bled. I had to go all the way to 55 lb/ft to get 10 lbs of break away force! Hub turns rather easily by hand.
20200226_151844.jpg
20200226_151839.jpg

Just a head's up - Those new rotor to hub bolts that you have are class 8.8, whereas the OEM bolts are class 11T, the latter of which have >2 times the tensile and yield strength. I would consider replacing those with the OEM bolts before you put this back on the truck. Toyota OEM Bolt Markings

I noticed that too- not good. However it appears it's too late- already looking like OP has buttoned it up. Somehow I dont get the sense that CJ is going back in.

You I take it you finally got the axle out... looking good dude!
Yeah I ended up using a pickle fork (for ball joints) and hammering it in the gap between the axle and the diff. It budged only a little and then I was able to pull it out by pulling on the outer shaft.

View attachment 2222420View attachment 2222421
Those don't look like Toyota bolts (disc to hub). That's asking for trouble IMO.

I noticed that too- not good. However it appears it's too late- already looking like OP has buttoned it up. Somehow I dont get the sense that CJ is going back in.
Those don't look like Toyota bolts (disc to hub). That's asking for trouble IMO.

You guys are breaking my heart. These are brand new class 8.8 steel bolts with lock washers. They were torqued to 57 lb fts. I was confident that they are good enough but now I am starting to worry

You guys are breaking my heart. These are brand new class 8.8 steel bolts with lock washers. They were torqued to 57 lb fts. I was confident that they are good enough but now I am starting to worry
It's not a big deal to replace them, but it's a huge deal if they snap (or deform). I would replace them for new proper toyota ones for sure.

I hear ya- but down the road as these fatigue and then in a sudden braking event it could end badly mechanically or worse, its not worth it. Especially important if you ever sell the truck- you dont want the new owner to unknowingly drive it that way.

Here's your part number: 90105-12174 they are .94ea from partsouq ($3.19 locally!)- your all in shipped price would be around $16 and delivered to you in about 2-3 days.

This is what it looks like: flanged (there is no lock washer and FSM does not call for thread lock) torque spec is 54ft lbs.
Unknown.jpeg

Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 6.50.14 PM.png

A few checks:

How did you settle grease on brass bushing, to set snap ring gap?

Which size snap ring was used gap?

You did de-grease both side of the rotor disk, before bolting up caliper, right!

What torque used on caliper mounting bolts?
BTW: I now replace caliper mounting bolts. Toyota, in the 200 series is now stating those are not reusable. They also use thread seals and reduce torque to 74ft-lbf to compensated for lubed threads (sealer).

After bleeding brakes how, long did booster motor run on test?

Remember to bed in your brake pads in, on first drive.

I hear ya- but down the road as these fatigue and then in a sudden braking event it could end badly mechanically or worse, its not worth it. Especially important if you ever sell the truck- you dont want the new owner to unknowingly drive it that way.

Here's your part number: 90105-12174 they are .94ea from partsouq ($3.19 locally!)- your all in shipped price would be around $16 and delivered to you in about 2-3 days.

This is what it looks like: flanged (there is no lock washer and FSM does not call for thread lock) torque spec is 54ft lbs.
View attachment 2222809
View attachment 2222810
Couldn't agree more with every word of your post!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom