A drifting newbie (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone. Got a 76 FJ this weekend. I am way clueless and need help. I have browsed this site and have read some threads on the front end drift. I have it bad as well as way wobbly steering.

Could some of you give me the task list in order of probability on how to fix this problem. It is so crazy the truck moves almost off the road (to the right) at random times. Some times the steering is tight and others it is way sloppy. Are these problems related or a combo? It feels like a tire is flat (it's not) or totally off the rim!

The truck is totally stock and mainly original. No lift not aftermarket parts. Only 50k documented miles.

Thanks a ton!!

Mark

Do you have longer shackles up front by chance? And yes, we need pics!

:cheers:

pics needed, indeed

new spring bushings will work wonder - narrower tires, too

Welcome to MUD

Welcome to the addiction and welcome to MUD :flipoff2:

None of what you said is true until we see photos of your rig. You have come to the right place, the people on here how an absolute wealth of knowledge on all things Land Cruiser.

Like JohnnyC said, get yourself a FSM. It is an absolute must have. Hope you get you drifting steering sorted.:eek:

:cheers:

Search for Death Wobble and read away. Tires balanced, Alignment, check Caster, Tie Rod Ends, Steering Box

Good luck

Are you running bias belted tires (like those that came on the early cruisers)? If so, those make the vehicle dart left and right at random, especially if you cross a painted center line. Radials make all the difference in the world.

Also search 'pitman arm play.'
You'll find a post for the rebuild of my steering on a 69.
Made a world of difference. Went from death wobble to steering with one hand while driving 60mph.
No changes to shims, no new tires. Tie-rods were all new

FJ- what? Lets check it out...

Welcome. Working on these can be fun, is normally pretty easy, sometimes a little expensive (but not always - fellow mudders have lots of use parts in the Classifieds section), and always messy. Rust is your ever-present friend.

FJ- what? Lets check it out...

Calling it an FJ offends some. They want you to say it is an FJ40, 55, etc.

Also, before you send your pics, go ahead and "flip the bezel" (thick part at the top) to the factory orientation, or be ready to face the torment of the other group that like to say that.

Get the FSM.

Find someone who doesn't bore easily and ask them to move the steering wheel back and forth while you lie under the front and stare at every little thing moving around. Even though you don't know what you're looking at/for you may see obvious play, hear a knock, etc. Lots of stuff to go through and you could replace most of it and still have a bad steering box or whatever.
front-end.jpg

Pics finally

First off, let me say that I appreciate all the responses already. I have been on other forums in the past for other cars I have owned, and you guys seem to be pretty down right cool. No wise cracks about being new, etc. So thanks. Here are a few pics. Hopefully I am not screwing up how to do this. Let me know what might be my drifting dilemma is given the state of what you see.
Thanks.
DSC_2762.jpg
DSC_2772.jpg
DSC_2760.jpg

It's easy to troubleshoot stock. :D Those tires may be contributing, but you're going to be in for some steering component work.

Condition of all the TRE's would make me suspect them. Check the center arm link..........have someone saw the wheel back and forth..............any vertical movement = bad ................. all horizontal = good.

Check the wheel bearings and knuckle bearings. Jack it up on both sides so the front wheels are free and check for vertical and horizontal play. Also turn the tire from side to side by hand, if it feels like there is a positive "detent" in the center, the knuckle bearings are pretty well pounded.

I'd dig in and order up all the stuff from Kurt (Cruiser Outfitters) and get busy. :wrench:

Oh yeah, those two gaping holes don't belong there behind the steering box.............screams freshly removed plow frame to me. If so, might explain the steering wear. ;) That, or nearly forty year old steering. :doh:
DSC_2759.jpg
DSC_2761.jpg

welcome aboard mark...... great looking truck. Love the color, and cool mirror attachement option too.
Gus has some great advice. You got shots of most the supect parts...... now start pulling pushing and wiggling parts to see if you can find the play in the system. Have you determined the source of wetness on steering box? when tires are on the ground how much play L to R in wheel do you have before it begins to move the tires? As well what was bolted behind the rear spring hanger?

As well (not necessarily cause of your issue) but check the condition of the splines on the steering shaft. (believe this is present with the manual steering unit, but never owned one) I currently have a lot of play there in my setup next on the list to be remedied. A second set of hands and eyes can be a big help. I took a pry bar too to check condition of bushings by trying to move the spring and see if there was play b/w the pins and bushings.

Beyond steering components, check the wear of the front axle/knuckle parts. Jack front end up and check for wiggle with your hands at 3 and 9 to check for tie rod wear and 6 and 12 to check wheel bearings. If you stick a crow bar under teh wheel just slightly off ground and try and lift you can assess the trunion bearing condition.

oh and that bezel ........ :D

Enjoy the madness. More friendly folks will be along to help you with the journey.
Check out the vendor section, lots of good options from Cruiser outfitters to Cruiser solutions even OEM stuff is sometimes available at discount through supporting dealerships

Your steering box is probably the problem.

It looks like it's lost its oil which could well be from excess play in the worm bearings.

(And if it's lost its oil that accelerates wear further too of course.)

:beer:

Edit: Ooops... I mean excess play in your sector shaft bushing (because it is really the sector shaft that bolts to your pitman arm). Although if you have play there then you probably also have it in the worm shaft (that is turned by your rag- joint/steering column)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom