a bargain from ARB -- (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, in my quest to get my bull-bar right, I went to a paint shop today to see what they could do -- they inspected the bar and said the maroon coating was paint, but they couldnt tell what type it was (enamel or not), and their painting it black may chip or peel -- for $200 -- :(

Then, I went to a powdercoating shop -- these guys do ONLY powdercoating -- very enthusiastic about their work --

-- they said they would ship the bar out to be stripped ($100), then the powdercoating would be $150, plus a clearcoat cost of $100 -- baking the bar during the powdercoating and clearcoating process --

-- to me, a lot more worth it -- this thing'll be a beauty -- albeit an expensive one -- ;)

-- however, there is SOME reprieve in all this giant sucking sound of cash -- I called ARB for pricing on their lighting fixture parts, since the PO used them as full-time running lamps, not directionals, and they melted the lense and stuff -- plus, just looked pretty crappy --

-- ARB sells the complete lighing kits (both sides, even mounting grommets) for $24 -- and they're gonna throw in their ARB logo sticker for the bumper for free --

-- whew -- just when I thought this deal overall sucked, this somehow made it worth it --

;)

eric

-- shown are the old lamps --

But now you have more in this one than a brand new one, right?

[quote author=wob link=board=2;threadid=13342;start=msg123348#msg123348 date=1079640109]
But now you have more in this one than a brand new one, right?
[/quote]

yup yup -- ARB doesn't clearcoat theirs --

:p

can't decide any more whether to put it on my '94 or my '91 --

???

looks like you are going to have to buy another one...since the truck that doesn't get one is going to feel left out.

Man, I hope you think it's worth it.

$400 + $350 + $24 + 1,000 miles of driving, 15 hours of your life, $67 in gas (assuming 30mpg) = $841 and a whole lotta hassle.

vs.

New ARB for $715 + $100 clear coat (why????) = $815 with relatively little hassle.

Still doesn't make sense to me. Sorry if it seems like I'm rubbing it in, but......

:-\

So if I added correctly you are paying $774 for a used ARB bar and had to drive 500 miles in the snow in your Civic with the hatch open all the way to get it. It's only ~$710 for a new one :doh: but you got the free sticker :cheers: Just had to give you a bad time :D

[quote author=shocker link=board=2;threadid=13342;start=msg123360#msg123360 date=1079640795]

$400 + $350 + $24 + 1,000 miles of driving, 15 hours of your life, $67 in gas (assuming 30mpg) = $841 and a whole lotta hassle.

vs.

New ARB for $715 + $100 clear coat (why????) = $815 with relatively little hassle.

Still doesn't make sense to me. Sorry if it seems like I'm rubbing it in, but......

[/quote]

the clearcoat is baked on while the powdercoat is drying -- so, the processes would differ --

-- I won't even explain why they said the clearcoat was advantageous, since I'll get flamed for that on this board --

-- maybe the whole transaction doesn't make sense, but since you forgot to include shipping costs, it still does --

:D

oh, to boot, we got to explore pennsyltucky, got dinner at waffle house, and got to run out of gas on the PA turnpike --

-- all that, and got to listen to 10 hours straight of Sirius radio --

;)

e

[quote author=erics_bruiser link=board=2;threadid=13342;start=msg123363#msg123363 date=1079640955]

-- maybe the whole transaction doesn't make sense, but since you forgot to include shipping costs, it still does --

[/quote]

The advantages of the clearcoat for the powdercoat shop is that they make another $100. It makes it glossy; that's about it. Powdercoat is much stronger than paint and doesn't require it.

The $715 for a new one DOES include shipping, as per your previous thread.

I re-edited my estimation of the cost of yours; 67 gallons of gas = $134 dollars or so.

[quote author=shocker link=board=2;threadid=13342;start=msg123360#msg123360 date=1079640795]

$400 + $350 + $24 + 1,000 miles of driving, 15 hours of your life, $134 in gas (assuming 30mpg) = $908 and a whole lotta hassle.

vs.

[/quote]

dude -- 1000 miles at 30 mpg = 33.3 galls of gas, at $1.70 = $58 in gas -- not $134 -- I'll even throw in $10 for tolls -- you're used too used to paying for gas for your cruiser --

;)

e

[quote author=shocker link=board=2;threadid=13342;start=msg123371#msg123371 date=1079641222]
The advantages of the clearcoat for the powdercoat shop is that they make another $100. It makes it glossy; that's about it. Powdercoat is much stronger than paint and doesn't require it.

The $715 for a new one DOES include shipping, as per your previous thread.

I re-edited my estimation of the cost of yours; 67 gallons of gas = $134 dollars or so.
[/quote]

dude -- they're clearcoating the powdercoat -- I think they know more about this than we do -- it's their full-time job, and I was happy with their sale of it --

-- and I'm not paying $2 per gallon of gas -- got it as low at $1.66 in Jersey --

Whoops. You are right. I'll re-edit. Too many projects going on at once on my desk right now.

Still, nitpick all you want, it doesn't make sense, but to each his own.

Did you check on powdercoat pricing before you bought it, or after?

[quote author=shocker link=board=2;threadid=13342;start=msg123376#msg123376 date=1079641457]
Whoops. You are right. I'll re-edit. Too many projects going on at once on my desk right now.

Still, nitpick all you want, it doesn't make sense, but to each his own.

Did you check on powdercoat pricing before you bought it, or after?
[/quote]

I was gonna get it painted before I bought it, then was gonna spray it myself this AM -- and decided after the paint shop to get it powercoated --

-- anyway, I'm happy with this -- I don't have chromed wheels, a snorkel, a lift, a S/C, dual batteries, an LED maplight, a special rear license holder, a rear bumper, swampers, or things of that sort -- I just want this to look good 6 mos. from now too --

:)

Something you may want to consider too....

Do you really want the clear-coat, or did they talk you into it?

Keep in mind, the Slee sliders you just put on do not have a clear coat, they are just plain-'ol-powdercoated. Don't know if you care to match them or not, but it gives you an idea of what the finish is.

All-in-all, like others have said, if you are happy that's all that matters.

Eric, are you the guy who had cloth seats, bought new leathers, and then put Wet Okoles over them?

Just wonderin'? :cheers:

[quote author=wob link=board=2;threadid=13342;start=msg123382#msg123382 date=1079641713]
Eric, are you the guy who had cloth seats, bought new leathers, and then put Wet Okoles over them?

[/quote]

haha -- ummm -- I don't know what you're talking about --

:-*

[quote author=wob link=board=2;threadid=13342;start=msg123382#msg123382 date=1079641713]

[/quote]

PS, Will -- sold the Okoles to a 80s-cool member -- I'm REFORMING --

;)

eric

[quote author=shocker link=board=2;threadid=13342;start=msg123381#msg123381 date=1079641684]
Something you may want to consider too....

Do you really want the clear-coat, or did they talk you into it?

Keep in mind, the Slee sliders you just put on do not have a clear coat, they are just plain-'ol-powdercoated. Don't know if you care to match them or not, but it gives you an idea of what the finish is.

All-in-all, like others have said, if you are happy that's all that matters.
[/quote]

I agree -- I care less about the finish and more about the durability -- they said they get much more durability with items that are clear-coated compared to those that are just powdered -- they said that the clearcoat acts as a protectant to the powdercoat -- especially with things like --

*gasp*

-- stone dings --

The clearcoat paint on my hood has held up really well to stone chips.

Riiiiiiiight.

:flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Don't listen to us, we'll just bring you down. ::)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom