Smacked a moose a couple of days ago... I love my ARB. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You took the time to create a well written story but post zero photos? I’d be interested in a few photos because this thread speaks very differently of the ARB bumper than I’ve previously read several times; that it’s actually not nearly as strong as it looks.
Actually, while what I posted did turn out to be a bit of a story, I would hesitate to call it well written (thank you though). I'd say it was more of a regurgitation... Lots of words puked out on the screen. ;)

My phone stores images in a format which I can not directly upload to Mud since it's last update. Right now it is not worth it to me to download new program just for uploads to Mud. I *could* pull out the SLR, step out in the 8+ inches of snow that is coming down, snap a few in the dark, upload them to the computer to post here. But I think I will stay inside tonight, bang at the keyboard a little and pack for Maui next week. ;)

Besides, any pic I post at this point will still simply show an ARB bumper on an '80 with no discernible damage (that is detectable in a pic) and a rear tilt of a few degrees (not quite touching the hood/grill or preventing opening thereof).

When I pull the bumper to address the shifted mounting (and definitively ascertain exactly at what point where the shift has occurred) I'll post pics that actually show something interesting. I have been planning on cutting holes in the bumper face to install some low mounted stand alone projector headlights and then re-powdercoating it. This has moved that schedule up some. But I still have to make the time for it.

In any event, even though pictures will add very little to this, I will post some. When pull I the bumper, have some worth posting and have more info to share that has value.

ARB Bumpers are definitely NOT as strong as they look. Because they look a lot really really strong. Stronger than they are. ;) I could build a stronger bumper. It would be heavier, clunkier and more expensive. At a certain point the frame would become the weak link. There are stronger bumpers out there. A local shop has actually built a couple that I am very intrigued with and we have been talking about what it would cost for them to put together a kit (incorporating a few changes I have suggested) for me to build for customers. It will be more expensive though and (IMHO) not look as good. My biggest positive feelings about the ARB come not from how strong it is or is not, but from the fact that it provides good coverage. It does not matter how strong your 3/8 inch DOM tube construction front end basher is, if it does not actually contact anything in an impact.

I normally avoid the discussion about how an ARB is or is not strong enough, too strong, makes the chicks swoon, has bad breath or any of the other opinion laced back and forths there are about them. I may joke that I am ARB's best salesman... but the reality is, I really am not an ARB salesman and other than any sort of warm and fuzzy feel good thoughts I get from making recommendations that I think will help others... I do not really care what bumper anyone does or does not run. ;)
I know what works for me and others in my particular environment. Seen lots of examples over the years, both my own incidents and others that I have had hands on after the fact time with. YMMV.

:)

Mark...

Actually, while what I posted did turn out to be a bit of a story, I would hesitate to call it well written (thank you though). I'd say it was more of a regurgitation... Lots of words puked out on the screen. ;)

My phone stores images in a format which I can not directly upload to Mud since it's last update. Right now it is not worth it to me to download new program just for uploads to Mud. I *could* pull out the SLR, step out in the 8+ inches of snow that is coming down, snap a few in the dark, upload them to the computer to post here. But I think I will stay inside tonight, bang at the keyboard a little and pack for Maui next week. ;)

Besides, any pic I post at this point will still simply show an ARB bumper on an '80 with no discernible damage (that is detectable in a pic) and a rear tilt of a few degrees (not quite touching the hood/grill or preventing opening thereof).

When I pull the bumper to address the shifted mounting (and definitively ascertain exactly at what point where the shift has occurred) I'll post pics that actually show something interesting. I have been planning on cutting holes in the bumper face to install some low mounted stand alone projector headlights and then re-powdercoating it. This has moved that schedule up some. But I still have to make the time for it.

In any event, even though pictures will add very little to this, I will post some. When pull I the bumper, have some worth posting and have more info to share that has value.

ARB Bumpers are definitely NOT as strong as they look. Because they look a lot really really strong. Stronger than they are. ;) I could build a stronger bumper. It would be heavier, clunkier and more expensive. At a certain point the frame would become the weak link. There are stronger bumpers out there. A local shop has actually built a couple that I am very intrigued with and we have been talking about what it would cost for them to put together a kit (incorporating a few changes I have suggested) for me to build for customers. It will be more expensive though and (IMHO) not look as good. My biggest positive feelings about the ARB come not from how strong it is or is not, but from the fact that it provides good coverage. It does not matter how strong your 3/8 inch DOM tube construction front end basher is, if it does not actually contact anything in an impact.

I normally avoid the discussion about how an ARB is or is not strong enough, too strong, makes the chicks swoon, has bad breath or any of the other opinion laced back and forths there are about them. I may joke that I am ARB's best salesman... but the reality is, I really am not an ARB salesman and other than any sort of warm and fuzzy feel good thoughts I get from making recommendations that I think will help others... I do not really care what bumper anyone does or does not run. ;)
I know what works for me and others in my particular environment. Seen lots of examples over the years, both my own incidents and others that I have had hands on after the fact time with. YMMV.

:)

Mark...
So you are saying that you appreciate the ARB bumper being on your 80??? :grinpimp:

Primarily designed to provide protection from kangaroos, and cattle.

A large kanga can **** up your day, but not like a moose would!

Roos are known to come through the windshield because they are often hit mid-bounce. A wounded roo in the cab can do some damage to occupants trying to kick its way free

Roos can range from maybe 40lb for a small one, up to maybe 200lb for big male red kangaroos in Western Australia
That jives with what I've read and come to understand about the ARB. But regarding moose, it would seem that there is a good chance, if hitting a moose at highway speed, (because they are taller due to their longer legs, than cattle), that the ARB would take out the legs of the moose and the body would come over the hood and through the windshield. IIRC, the moose I've seen when I lived in Wyoming seemed taller, which would be even worse to hit.

Here are a couple clips showing pretty routine occurances in town. At 50 seconds in on the second one, you get an idea of the size of an average moose compared to a 2nd gen 4runner.

Mark...

Great videos, thank you. ( but looks like a 3rd gen to me).

So, I'm wondering if the extra height of a lifted truck would actually be beneficial in a moose encounter since these beasts are so long legged and tall. Something tells me your 80 would fare better than mine in such a collision.

Great videos, thank you. ( but looks like a 3rd gen to me).

So, I'm wondering if the extra height of a lifted truck would actually be beneficial in a moose encounter since these beasts are so long legged and tall. Something tells me your 80 would fare better than mine in such a collision.
Color me embarrassed! And I actually own a 3rd gen!

Yep taller vehicles usually fare much better in moose collisions. A full size pick will take a moose with the front end. A subaru will often take it on the hood/windshield after the front gets smashed. :( Good chance that the bigger rig winds up totalled too, but safer to be in. There have been a couple of fatalities in the last few years from moose coming through the windshield of smaller cars.

The trucks that make the Anchorage-Fairbanks haul every night often have these big b*stards on the front end.

1704761788267.png

I've only got 4 inches of lift at the front end of this '80 right now. Six by summer. Anyway, with water crossings or moose collisions, taller is better. ;)

Mark...

Last edited:
ARB versus Corolla. Corolla hit us (we were going about 10km/hr, corolla about 60) as we were going around the bend behind us. The bar was a write off and the 80 needed a guard, valence and some minor panel work. Corolla buggered - you can see where the guy's head hit the windscreen if you look closely (he was fine).

ARB 10/10. There was an 8 week wait for the new bar so insurance offered me any bar i could find in stock - turned them down in favour of a replacement ARB.

IMG_5880.jpeg

ARB versus Corolla. Corolla hit us (we were going about 10km/hr, corolla about 60) as we were going around the bend behind us. The bar was a write off and the 80 needed a guard, valence and some minor panel work. Corolla buggered - you can see where the guy's head hit the windscreen if you look closely (he was fine).

ARB 10/10. There was an 8 week wait for the new bar so insurance offered me any bar i could find in stock - turned them down in favour of a replacement ARB.

View attachment 3528467
Hope all was well with you and any passengers. As a side note, it kinda looks like Zorro took out the Corrolla (big Z embossed on the hood...;))

Those pics and that youtube video take me back. The moose (mooses, meese?) in Anchorage would just be leisurely ambling in parking lots and right down the center of the street. Had to be careful in the dark, which felt like 23 hours a day this time of year.

Honestly in that environment some kind of front end protection becomes mandatory.

Last edited:
Mine came from the PO with the ARB non-winch version. This may not have been my first choice (love the Slee short bus look), but I've learned to really like it, especially with the GGM mont plate that allowed the installation of a winch. I've had some close calls with big deer, but not a strike yet. My son was in his '99 F250 super duty a couple of weeks ago and hit a larger doe at 50 mph when ironically enough heading out early to go deer hunting! Took out his lower bumper and PS cooler, which also apparently does the power brakes too on the older 7.3 diesel Ford trucks. Fortunately he was only a mile from home and was able to assess the deer, haul it home, and butcher it after it died roadside soon after the collision (with the blessing of DNR that showed up at 3:45 a.m. out of nowhere!). He was also able to bypass the cooler and get the truck on the road again in about an hour to head back out for the day. Based on the damage that this did to his truck and a stock bumper, I could see the ARB easily surviving a similar situation and saving both body and mechanical damage. Another plus is when I'm out crawling in the PA/VA/WVA area, the trails are tight, so that little push-off on trees that the full bull bar offers (along with a good site line!), has saved my front flares/fenders/lights more than a couple of times. My only real disappointment with the ARB are the weak shackle points (mine are bent from PO), but I have a solution for that coming soon...

That is a mighty fine looking 80 Series, my friend. Enjoy.

Mine came from the PO with the ARB non-winch version. This may not have been my first choice (love the Slee short bus look), but I've learned to really like it, especially with the GGM mont plate that allowed the installation of a winch. I've had some close calls with big deer, but not a strike yet. My son was in his '99 F250 super duty a couple of weeks ago and hit a larger doe at 50 mph when ironically enough heading out early to go deer hunting! Took out his lower bumper and PS cooler, which also apparently does the power brakes too on the older 7.3 diesel Ford trucks. Fortunately he was only a mile from home and was able to assess the deer, haul it home, and butcher it after it died roadside soon after the collision (with the blessing of DNR that showed up at 3:45 a.m. out of nowhere!). He was also able to bypass the cooler and get the truck on the road again in about an hour to head back out for the day. Based on the damage that this did to his truck and a stock bumper, I could see the ARB easily surviving a similar situation and saving both body and mechanical damage. Another plus is when I'm out crawling in the PA/VA/WVA area, the trails are tight, so that little push-off on trees that the full bull bar offers (along with a good site line!), has saved my front flares/fenders/lights more than a couple of times. My only real disappointment with the ARB are the weak shackle points (mine are bent from PO), but I have a solution for that coming soon...

Nice - do you have a link to how you did your winch? And is your license plate installed directly in the bumper?

Nice - do you have a link to how you did your winch? And is your license plate installed directly in the bumper?
Sure...highlighted on the @GGM vendor page here...and yes, I did some nut-serts in the bumper to hold the plate steady! I've been really happy with the setup to convert my non-winch ARB to handle the winch option!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom