Events/Trails 9th Annual 100s in the Hills *SILVERTON COLORADO* July 24-29 2019 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@collk22
@geanes What makes Imogene a 4? I was hoping to do that this year (1st time) since we missed it last year.
Descending into Telluride can be a challenge with vehicle traffic. You sometimes have to reverse on very narrow shelf roads to allow for passing. Also, there are some step sections coming down into the mining area that can put you on three wheels a bit.

@geanes What makes Imogene a 4? I was hoping to do that this year (1st time) since we missed it last year.

I think it's definitely a relative thing, but I'd consider Imogene a 2. I didn't think there was anything particularly difficult on that run.

Imogene is one of my favorite trails. Last year I ran it twice. Once coming from Telluride and once coming from Ouray. One of the reasons I like it so much is the chance to pick different lines in a lot of places. You can make it easy or hard just by the line you choose. For me it’s definitely a must do.

I really enjoyed the run from Telluride to Ouray. Both ways are great but that way was just plain awesome in my opinion.

The Palisades on the Telluride side can scare people. It's rocky, winding shelf road with a cliff rising from you on one side and a sheer cliff falling away on the other. On the Ouray side, there is a section toward the top that can be interesting to novices as it's pretty steep and there is a section of shelf road there as well. Given that we are doing it in late July, it will likely be dry the entire way which would make it more of a "3". All in all, it's easy if, like golf, you focus on where you WANT to go, NOT where you don't. The trail is PLENTY wide enough. Imogene does have one of the BEST photo ops anywhere in CO.

IMG_1742.JPG

IMG_1744.JPG

IMG_1707.JPG

IMG_1718.JPG

I think it's definitely a relative thing, but I'd consider Imogene a 2. I didn't think there was anything particularly difficult on that run.

Agreed on that assessment. It isn't difficult at all. But, it can be scary which moved it to a 4 for me (when wet) and a 3 in general dry conditions.

The Palisades on the Telluride side can scare people. It's rocky, winding shelf road with a cliff rising from you on one side and a sheer cliff falling away on the other. On the Ouray side, there is a section toward the top that can be interesting to novices as it's pretty steep and there is a section of shelf road there as well. Given that we are doing it in late July, it will likely be dry the entire way which would make it more of a "3". All in all, it's easy if, like golf, you focus on where you WANT to go, NOT where you don't. The trail is PLENTY wide enough. Imogene does have one of the BEST photo ops anywhere in CO.

View attachment 1925793

View attachment 1925794

View attachment 1925796

View attachment 1925797
I don’t how I’m going to make it to July. I CANT WAIT!!!!

@geanes , @ga12r1 - this helps a lot, thanks. Wasn't sure if the rating was based primarily on exposure or obstacle difficulty.

And I definitely want to get my poser rock picture - feel like that's a must have for a Land Cruiser owner!

Agreed on that assessment. It isn't difficult at all. But, it can be scary which moved it to a 4 for me (when wet) and a 3 in general dry conditions.

Totally fair. I think if anyone is afraid of heights and exposure, some of these trails can really be tough. I know Jessie was really afraid on blackbear and she hopped out and walked the decent just before the big switch backs.

As far as the actual trail obstacle, I think the wall on Poughkeepsie is the most difficult (the bypass is available though) and between the road and the wall, that section has a lot of potential for bad line choice resulting in tire damage.

For perspective, here are some shots of Maggie and Minnie gulches that show why they are "1"s IMO

IMG_1637.JPG

IMG_1639.JPG

IMG_1651.JPG

IMG_1672.JPG

IMG_1674.JPG

Totally fair. I think if anyone is afraid of heights and exposure, some of these trails can really be tough. I know Jessie was really afraid on blackbear and she hopped out and walked the decent just before the big switch backs.

As far as the actual trail obstacle, I think the wall on Poughkeepsie is the most difficult (the bypass is available though) and between the road and the wall, that section has a lot of potential for bad line choice resulting in tire damage.

The Wall is easily the most technically difficult obstacle in that entire region IMO. Black Bear really isn't technically difficult at all. It's just that VIEW from the steps and maybe that first real switchback that will make you clinch up real good.

@geanes , @ga12r1 - this helps a lot, thanks. Wasn't sure if the rating was based primarily on exposure or obstacle difficulty.

And I definitely want to get my poser rock picture - feel like that's a must have for a Land Cruiser owner!

ALL based on exposure. Everything up there, with the exception of the Wall (Poughkeepsie), can be done in a stock cruiser. No trail is technically difficult up there IMO. Besides, the trail leaders are fantastic and will provide guidance on every trail. And the rest of us who do these trails a ton are there to help with spotting as well. Best advice I could give would be to hitch onto the back of someone in the group (there will be MANY) who's done these trails and follow their lines.

Heights/shelf is admittedly my biggest obstacle!

I’m going to have to research more comfortable options on my end. Just the way life is.

Brett

I like Imogene for the scenery. It's a stock-friendly trail with multiple lines as was mentioned earlier. It's no biggie if you're by yourself or with just a couple others. Leading it with 10+ rigs following you is stressful on the Telluride side when there's traffic, which there always is. There are lots of slow spots where people are squeezing by going both directions on narrow roads. I think they should make Imogene one way, just like Black Bear. Black Bear is one way from the Silverton side and down into Telluride. So Imogene should be made one way from Telluride to Ouray. Heck, I'd be fine if they made it one way only from Telluride to the pass. If you're in Telluride, you got to go all the way to Ouray and then come back either on the highway from Ridgeway or over Ophir, or even Black Bear. If you're on the Ouray side you could just go up to the pass and back down the way you came if you don't want to make a loop.

Last edited:

At the end of this video is a pretty good example of being able to pick different lines. @aaronrules decided to choose a somewhat “radical” line here when there was clearly other options, but hey, he is the coolest guy I know ;)

At the end of this video is a pretty good example of being able to pick different lines. @aaronrules decided to choose a somewhat “radical” line here when there was clearly other options, but hey, he is the coolest guy I know ;)

Leave it to Aaron to go "rogue" :)

Do we have a schedule yet? I'm definitely able to be there Wednesday, but may leave Sunday and get back to work Monday. But if Sunday and Monday are the best days, then I'd figure something else out. Thanks!

Do we have a schedule yet? I'm definitely able to be there Wednesday, but may leave Sunday and get back to work Monday. But if Sunday and Monday are the best days, then I'd figure something else out. Thanks!

No schedule yet, but Friday/Sat were the best days last year. A lot of people left on Sunday last year and frankly by Sunday afternoon probably 60% of the camp was cleared out. Monday was just a clean up and exit day last year, IIRC.

Imogene was the only trail we didn’t do last year I believe

Imogene was the only trail we didn’t do last year I believe
Last year I was part of Stan’s group on Sunday and we ran Black Bear then had lunch in Telluride and went back to Silverton via Immogene. It was unplanned but awesome. I would really love to see that become an option on the schedule. Hint Hint @paflytyer @bluecruiser Hint Hint

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom