Builds '94 Re-Power | GM 5.3 Vortec L59 - Build Tracker (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all

I've had my cruiser for a couple years now and it's served me well on many adventures, but at the miles creep up, my quest for power drives ever onward.

Now in my possession is a zero-mile '04 GM 5.3 L59 that I intend to have carry me throughout the forests and hills; getting there is a different story.

I'm going to use this as a general tracking sheet to post pictures and keep progress on this build, if not for anything more to keep me motivated to complete the swap.

I'm in the parts collection stage, so I'll be posting up questions that I've had issues finding answers to sifting through all the available info on the 'Mud.

Thanks for checking it out, I hope that by the end of this, I'll be able to make a technical guide on how to complete the swap with decent pics.

14379868_10206892301975841_599103677266800070_o.jpg

Updated: 6-2-19

I'll use this box to post questions that are outstanding and perhaps drop links for later developments.
-
Parts needed
2WD 4L60E or 2WD 4L80E
transmission to T-case adapter
engine mount solution

Need to source a harness to eliminate the Trans controls from the Vortec ECU
Need to source proper motor mounts for the Vortec. (Marks has universals?)

Notes:
Truck - 1994 FZJ80 with the factory lockers.
Engine - 2004 GM Vortec 5.3 - modified with a LS6 cam, valvetrain upgrades, and a small boreover.
Trans - 2WD 4L60E or 2WD 4L80E
T-case - HF2A (Stock from vehicle)

Last edited:
Steps completed so far:

* crashed 2004 Suburban purchased, drivetrain pulled, donor vehicle sold.
* Engine rebuilt at machine shop bottom-to-top
* now sourcing full parts list before pulling engine from running vehicle.

I think youd be better off mating a gm auto to the hf2av
Definately considering it. The 4l60e that came with the truck I bought was a 4WD so it wouldn't work with the marks adapter, so I just sold it.
If I do go GM, I'm thinking that a 4l80 2WD would be best?

you "CAN" keep the stock transmission but it is going to cost you a fortune. go with the 4l60e 2wd from a similar year truck.

you "CAN" keep the stock transmission but it is going to cost you a fortune. go with the 4l60e 2wd from a similar year truck.
Do you think a 4l60e will hold 400/400 without issue? or should I search for an 80 instead? (Or does that present additional challenges?)

Do you think a 4l60e will hold 400/400 without issue? or should I search for an 80 instead? (Or does that present additional challenges?)
6l80
Edit: i have no idea about this stuff. Fyi

According to the internet (tm) the 4l60e can support 400/400 without much problems, and they are cheap enough that if I break one I can just get another one.

Sooo that's onto the consideration list. I know that there is an adapter from marks that will allow me to run the H2FA to the 4l60e without issue. probably cheaper to build a 4l60 than the A440.

The problem with the stock transmission is you need a controller for it and that's another 2k to the build

The problem with the stock transmission is you need a controller for it and that's another 2k to the build
ohhhh.... Yeah pass on that. To my understanding, this generation of GM motor and trans is controlled by the same unit.
I'm mostly worried about trying to ... adapt a GM trans to the existing shift assembly and cluster outputs.
It's not my first swap, but it IS my first cross mfg swap. I've seen a good amount of threads out there for 4l60e's so I'm sure I can find the way.

Well the sticky at the top has all you answers but I will go ahead and help.

Oil pressure is oil pressure, same for voltage and temp. No change there, just use the stock sensors.

The speedo still gets signal from the stock transfer case.

The tach is a bit tricky. Dakota digital can help.

What else do you need to know?

Well the sticky at the top has all you answers but I will go ahead and help.

Oil pressure is oil pressure, same for voltage and temp. No change there, just use the stock sensors.

The speedo still gets signal from the stock transfer case.

The tach is a bit tricky. Dakota digital can help.

What else do you need to know?

Hey that's pretty great! thank you!

I'll definitely come across a couple things I'm sure....but nothing at this time.

I see you part out trucks though, you have a store page or anything?

/R

No store page but I list them up here. I need to update some pics of my junkyard but it won't stop raining... 9 days now and at least 3 more to come.

No store page but I list them up here. I need to update some pics of my junkyard but it won't stop raining... 9 days now and at least 3 more to come.
Sounds about right haha, but I'm from Oregon soooo.

well awesome man, I'll be sure to swing by you first for parts, thanks for your help with this project of mine!

ohhhh.... Yeah pass on that. To my understanding, this generation of GM motor and trans is controlled by the same unit.
I'm mostly worried about trying to ... adapt a GM trans to the existing shift assembly and cluster outputs.

Trailblazer shift cable. Easy peezy.

Now the indicator outputs... I didn’t care about them working so I did even fool with them. The reverse indicator did start working when I wired the reverse lights though.

Read through the V8 swap sticky. It’s not organized, but everything you need to know is in there.

Trailblazer shift cable. Easy peezy.

Now the indicator outputs... I didn’t care about them working so I did even fool with them. The reverse indicator did start working when I wired the reverse lights though.

Read through the V8 swap sticky. It’s not organized, but everything you need to know is in there.
I'm curious about this "V8 swap sticky"? Where do I find this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom