'93 1fz-fe engine knock. Main bearings = toast = cracked crank (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Definitely take the hood off. Take the radiator out.
It's definitely easier with the hood off. I had no-one to help me take it off, and I had the crane set up before I thought about taking it off. I've lifted it off and on by myself in the past, but the crane was in the way.

Zero lift. OG springs, so probably negative lift. 33" tyres, not aired down.

Garage looks like a crime scene because the concrete roof leaks like a sieve. I live in an apartment block. The landlord has refused to do anything to fix it, so I haven't been able to use my garage. 90% of the stuff I normally have in a garage is in a storage facility.

Truck is red, coz red (maroon) is the best colour!!

Before garage decided to be a subterranean water feature
20211021_192021.jpg

20211021_192025.jpg

20211021_192032.jpg

20211021_192016.jpg

I'd be extremely interested to know just exactly what you're doing to the grimy engine and the the bay/truck before the grengine goes in. As you know, I'm in the same boat. What are you PMing, replacing, just-in-casing? How can you tell the sensors are shot? Care to post that parts list? Will you be documenting the refresh?

Garage looks like a crime scene because the concrete roof leaks like a sieve. I live in an apartment block. The landlord has refused to do anything to fix it, ... garage decided to be a subterranean water feature
Hey, remember that place in Florida? Alls I'm sayin'...

I'd be extremely interested to know just exactly what you're doing to the grimy engine and the the bay/truck before the grengine goes in. As you know, I'm in the same boat. What are you PMing, replacing, just-in-casing? How can you tell the sensors are shot? Care to post that parts list? Will you be documenting the refresh?

I'm pulling out my original engine.

I did a partial rebuild after a head gasket failure hydrolocked the engine, and a few thousand miles after replacing head gasket, I had bottom end bearings fail, and the crank was cracked.

I refreshed all bearings and seals etc and returned the crank with a brand new one.
On restart, I had oil pressure issues that I haven't been able to solve.

I'll be tearing my engine down completely, and going over everything with a fine tooth comb.

The used engine will get new hoses, new sensors, to replace broken and missing ones ( broken as in, snapped plastic connectors). New thermostat, new distributor cap, rotor, plug leads etc. I'll test remaining sensors too.
I'll be trying to source replacement harness connectors to replace brittle and broken connectors on my engine harness.
Used engine didn't have a complete engine harness.
The used engine will get a new rear main seal while I'm in there.

Most while your in there stuff has already been done such as fuel filter, engine mounts, all new rubber hoses, cleaning/degreasing, tidying up some wiring etc

I've put nearly $1500 into parts. I think I'll recover the cost of the engine, and fresh parts by selling once I've repaired my original engine. Or, I keep it as a parts/spare unit.

For your while your in there, it's add things like new idler pulley, new tensioner bolt assembly for the alternator, new tensioner pulley, and adjustment bolt for the AC. New harmonic balancer

I'm sure there's more

Hey, remember that place in Florida? Alls I'm sayin'...
Document it, and requests to address it (text will do if you don't want to get up in their grille with certified mail etc.). Then if things go south, and you survive--maybe the next ten ICON Cruisers are on him, ja? (And, pssst, remember who got you there...)

And maybe next time keep something like this on hand, just in case...

LC on Water.jpg

Defender on Pontoons.jpg

You work fast man. Good work so far.

Not there to fúck spiders! :lol:

When I get around to finding motivation, I forget to have lunch, drink water etc. I just try to get stuck in. Tired today.

Frustrating waiting for parts, coz I know I'll get lazy, or busy, or distracted with something else by the time I have parts

Not there to fúck spiders! :lol:

When I get around to finding motivation, I forget to have lunch, drink water etc. I just try to get stuck in. Tired today.

Frustrating waiting for parts, coz I know I'll get lazy, or busy, or distracted with something else by the time I have parts
Spiders? Well, they do have 8 legs….. I can relate to the not eating part. When I’m left alone and have a cruiser project going on, it’ll be a day and a half before I remember to eat. If my wife is here she usually reminds me to eat and allow for normal bodily functions. My current project has been extremely protracted and I’m fed up with that. She is gone to South America for five weeks so now I have the unique opportunity to starve myself in the name of resurrecting and piece of steel; smart!

The used engine was a great idea. Down time sucks.

I have been under the impression that the gassers are rather unpopular down under. Why do you not have an over boosted 1hd-t? Does anyone down there swap in the Cummins 5.9 or 3.9?

I have been under the impression that the gassers are rather unpopular down under. Why do you not have an over boosted 1hd-t? Does anyone down there swap in the Cummins 5.9 or 3.9?
Not huge popularity with the gassers here although I've started to see more forced induction builds lately.

Anything factory turbo diesel especially at the moment is $$$$$, a few 6BT swaps but not common here as we don't really have a source for them like you guys do.

I'm pulling out my original engine.

I did a partial rebuild after a head gasket failure hydrolocked the engine, and a few thousand miles after replacing head gasket, I had bottom end bearings fail, and the crank was cracked.

I refreshed all bearings and seals etc and returned the crank with a brand new one.
On restart, I had oil pressure issues that I haven't been able to solve.

I'll be tearing my engine down completely, and going over everything with a fine tooth comb.

The used engine will get new hoses, new sensors, to replace broken and missing ones ( broken as in, snapped plastic connectors). New thermostat, new distributor cap, rotor, plug leads etc. I'll test remaining sensors too.
I'll be trying to source replacement harness connectors to replace brittle and broken connectors on my engine harness.
Used engine didn't have a complete engine harness.
The used engine will get a new rear main seal while I'm in there.

Most while your in there stuff has already been done such as fuel filter, engine mounts, all new rubber hoses, cleaning/degreasing, tidying up some wiring etc

I've put nearly $1500 into parts. I think I'll recover the cost of the engine, and fresh parts by selling once I've repaired my original engine. Or, I keep it as a parts/spare unit.

For your while your in there, it's add things like new idler pulley, new tensioner bolt assembly for the alternator, new tensioner pulley, and adjustment bolt for the AC. New harmonic balancer

I'm sure there's more
Will you reseal the oil plans on the new engine, and possibly do the valve stem seals? Also, have you tested compression and leak down?

Just curious, thanks. I really do enjoy following this thread.

I'm pretty sure gas cruisers would well and truly out number diesel cruisers here.
For anyone interested in wheeling, diesel is preferred choice.

The price of 80s has gone up a lot here too.
What I paid $5k for a few years ago would have been $20k for a diesel. Now, more like $30+

I would love another booster 1HD-T, they are lots of fun. But I cannot justify the $$$. So many more important things to use that money for

I recently sold a boosted 1HZ for a crazy amount. I would have loved to put it in the 80, but again, the cash from selling will see better use elsewhere.

People do do Cummins conversions. I don't think they were a common engine here, but not sure. Personally, I'd use a Toyota diesel. I think the Cummins is just to much extra weight over the front end

Last edited:
Will you reseal the oil plans on the new engine, and possibly do the valve stem seals? Also, have you tested compression and leak down?

Just curious, thanks. I really do enjoy following this thread.

Oil pans are being swapped over, so will be freshly sealed.
I did consider valve steel seals, but will see how things go. Gotta draw a line somewhere, and getting this in and running is the priority. Can do valve seals in the car if need be later.

Engine was out of the vehicle when I bought it. No compression test has been done. Best I could do was turn it over by hand, remove plus and check condition of plugs. It turns over nicely, and with oil pans off, the bottom end is clean, and looks untouched.

I'm pretty sure gas cruisers would well and truly out number diesel cruisers here.
For anyone interested in wheeling, diesel is preferred choice.

The price of 89s has gone up a lot here too.
What I paid $5k for a few years ago would have been $20k for a diesel. Now, miss like $30+

I would love another booster 1HD-T, they are lots of fun. But I cannot justify the $$$. So many more important things to use that money for

I recently sold a boosted 1HZ for a crazy amount. I would have loved to put it in the 80, but again, the cash from selling will see better use elsewhere.

People do do Cummins conversions. I don't think they were a common engine here, but not sure. Personally, I'd use a Toyota diesel. I think the Cummins is just to much extra weight over the front end
The 5.9 is a heavy beast but it is definitely a beast. It can easily be turned into so much more than a Toyota diesel and burn the same amount of fuel because it it’s working much. I’ve been driving a 5.9, computer controles of course, for 18 years now, and I have been very happy with it.

I think that you will find a very simple and obvious issue with your oiling problem.

Woot Woot!

Goodies inbound!

View attachment 3233821

Ooof! Just got a call from the freight company. Because my order is over $1000 in goods value, I'll cop GST (10% Tax) on all of it, and customs duties on some of it!

Still, I told the guy it's cheaper than paying the Toyota tax at the dealership. The guy laughed and gave me the run down on how to avoid duties etc as much as possible for future orders.

Ooof! Just got a call from the freight company. Because my order is over $1000 in goods value, I'll cop GST (10% Tax) on all of it, and customs duties on some of it!

Still, I told the guy it's cheaper than paying the Toyota tax at the dealership. The guy laughed and gave me the run down on how to avoid duties etc as much as possible for future orders.
Care to share his words of wisdom?

Care to share his words of wisdom?

Basically, keep orders below AUD$1000.
Big orders, break them down into smaller orders spaced a few days or a week apart.

Some parts for vehicles over 30 years old don't get customs duty.
Duty is different for petrol vs diesel engine parts. If an order is above $1000, say it's for a 30+ year old petrol vehicle.

Basically, stay under $1000

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom