8x Series V8 Swaps (15 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The grinding issue is normal. Try shifting the t case quickly from hi to low or vice versa without pausing in neutral, or shift the transmission into park instead of neutral before shifting the t case. Or just shut the engine off. Has nothing to do with wiring or electronics

Not true.
i meant to say in park not neutral if you're in gear and shift in neutral you will get grinding because gear r still turning only way to avoid it is to wait for gears to stop turning and shift but BEST option is shift in park and shift in H or L
there is no need to force the shifter or shut engine off

Mine grinds if I don't shift quick but I figured it had something to do with the part time spool I put in the t-case. If the tranny is in neutral and I shift the t-case to neutral for a second, I need to shut it down to pick high or low range. No problems if I do it quick.

When I did my swap with the 4L80, the tcase would grind if I shifted it with the trans in neutral however with the trans in park I could shift from high to low all day long. Totally opposite of the Toyota trans.

Good to know Im not alone on this one, will be doing shifts in park then.

I wonder why neutral doesnt stop/frees the output shaft on the 4L65 trans.

-Emerson.

Good to know Im not alone on this one, will be doing shifts in park then.

I wonder why neutral doesnt stop/frees the output shaft on the 4L65 trans.

-Emerson.
No transmission can stop the output shaft in neutral, if they did it wouldn’t be neutral 😂

The difference could be, lower stall speed causing more hydraulic force on the free spinning shafts. Shafts that spin easier in neutral.

I have the chance to pick up this 4L60E out of a GTO that had less than 34,000 miles on it when it got pulled. When I go to Marks website I see there are two different kits I can get as far as the transfer case adapter kits go. One for a 6 bolt, and one for a 4 bolt. Im a little confused on that because I see 3 bolt on this one. Anyone have any info if this tranny can be used?

IMG_1352.JPG

IMG_1353.JPG

I have the chance to pick up this 4L60E out of a GTO that had less than 34,000 miles on it when it got pulled. When I go to Marks website I see there are two different kits I can get as far as the transfer case adapter kits go. One for a 6 bolt, and one for a 4 bolt. Im a little confused on that because I see 3 bolt on this one. Anyone have any info if this tranny can be used?

View attachment 2079424

View attachment 2079425
That is a 6 bolt tail housing.

Will the output shaft work? Im confused because Ive never seen a driveshaft with only 3 bolts on it
The kit includes a shaft and housing and everything that adapts the 4L60 to your transfer case. You need to order the correct marks adapter if you have an 80 there's a great chance you have a HF2A if I recall correctly.

The kit includes a shaft and housing and everything that adapts the 4L60 to your transfer case. You need to order the correct marks adapter if you have an 80 there's a great chance you have a HF2A if I recall correctly.
yea I believe I do. Kinda sucks that the 6 bolt tail housing adapter is $300 more than the 4 bolt.

yea I believe I do. Kinda sucks that the 6 bolt tail housing adapter is $300 more than the 4 bolt.
I think all the newer housings are. I'm losing the HF2A and ordering an atlas with a 3.8 low range and building a custom 2 tank setup at the same time. The center output of the atlas interferes with the front corner of the main gas tank.

The $300 is an additional adapter to make it a 4 bolt. Technically a older 4 bolt case with proper shaft should be a shorter overall length.

The 3 bolts you are referring to is in the slip yoke, ie part of the 2wd driveshaft

I think all the newer housings are. I'm losing the HF2A and ordering an atlas with a 3.8 low range and building a custom 2 tank setup at the same time. The center output of the atlas interferes with the front corner of the main gas tank.
Does the adapter even work with an atlas tcase its made for a 80 tcase better do some more research and make sure your not buying something that you dont need or the wrong thing

Does the adapter even work with an atlas tcase its made for a 80 tcase better do some more research and make sure your not buying something that you dont need or the wrong thing
No doesn't work with an atlas.
I don't need the expensive adapter my 80 will have the 4L60 mated directly to the atlas. Then I will do a part time conversion on the front end.
After the cost of a part time kit, an underdrive gear set for the HF2A, and the 4L60 to hf2a.
I could just buy an Atlas for a similar cost..

Hello, i'm new to this sight and am starting an LS swap in a 97 FJ80. I have first simple question. What do you do with the wiring harness that goes thru the firewall on the passenger side on removal? Does it need to be saved?

Hello, i'm new to this sight and am starting an LS swap in a 97 FJ80. I have first simple question. What do you do with the wiring harness that goes thru the firewall on the passenger side on removal? Does it need to be saved?
Some of the wires in it need to be saved and reused. Do you have a EWD manual for your cruiser? It’s just about mandatory.

Some of the wires in it need to be saved and reused. Do you have a EWD manual for your cruiser? It’s just about mandatory.
I don't want to ask anything specific but I figured that the ECM for the land cruiser would all together be removed but the BCM needed to stay in tact. Besides oil pressure, water temp, speedo and RPM wires going to the dash what needs to be kept on the ECU? Again, I dont mean to get specific. My research is still in its baby form.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom