‘89 FJ62 front leaf spring shock mount brackets broken! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Truck felt soft and bouncy this am after some forest service road exploring at week. A quick peek underneath shows both bottom shock mounts swinging freely. Looks like the welded female sleeve broke off the leaf spring bracket on both.

Suggestions on replacement or fix? I found some used brackets on eBay and some after market new ones.

What have others done?

Thx
BK

For something like this, I'd prefer used OE stuff over aftermarket - assuming the OE part is in serviceable shape of course.

Count on replacing your u-bolts as well. Lots of people consider them a single-use item. You can cut them out with a cut-off wheel, which saves a lot of work. Just make sure that everything is properly supported before you start cutting.

For something like this, I'd prefer used OE stuff over aftermarket - assuming the OE part is in serviceable shape of course.

Count on replacing your u-bolts as well. Lots of people consider them a single-use item. You can cut them out with a cut-off wheel, which saves a lot of work. Just make sure that everything is properly supported before you start cutting.
Thanks for the reply!

I found a set of used OEM that look decent and ordered them-2 weeks to deliver. Good suggestion on U-bolts-lots of crud and rust would make for a pain!

Regarding “properly supporting”. My plan is to Jack up truck and use Jack stands in gram and then support leaf springs and/or axle with second set of stands.

Thoughts?

And I looked at broken brackets-looks like they broke before and PO had welded (poorly) bolts into bracket. No very strong obviously.

Question: is it common to weld bottom brackets right in to axle housing instead of these brackets?

Thx
BK

Another option would be the 4plus ubolt flip kit. It is a well made set up. I had problems with my u bolt perches. These were the right solution.
Is there a website for those that list vehicle fitment?

Another option would be the 4plus ubolt flip kit. It is a well made set up. I had problems with my u bolt perches. These were the right solution.
I'll second this, especially in their current iteration. The originals had a much smaller post for mounting the shocks to, but the ones I put on a few years ago use a much larger post and the whole assembly is plenty stout.

No idea when they were changed to the larger post, but it was a significant upgrade.

Question: is it common to weld bottom brackets right in to axle housing instead of these brackets?

Thx
BK
Haven't heard of anyone doing this. Have a photo of your broken brackets? Those pins could have been weakened by rust I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom