Builds 85 4runner build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After being on the lookout for close to 8 years for a replacement 4runner, I bought this 85 in November. It's basically original owner. Dudes dad bought it new but sold it to him because he drove it more than his dad did.
It ran a little rough. AC doesn't work. Frame and body are very solid for a VA vehicle.
As soon as I got it home, the clutch master started leaking in the cab.
Replaced them with Aisin parts and a new Toyota rubber line.
20221123_102807.jpg
20221123_124430.jpg
20221123_123344.jpg

I thought the rough running was due to old gas so the tank came out, new fuel filter, and sent injectors to be rebuilt.
20221223_112304.jpg

Gas tank was clean and injectors weren't bad according to flow test. I didn't realize that everything for this tank is discontinued! No sender, no pump. And no rubber line from tank to frame. So I just reused the old stuff but unfortunately, I cut the rubber line so need to build a new one.
20230119_190144.jpg

The pump and everything else is still available.

Try a different dealer. Although they're not near me, I use Cabe Toyota in Long Beach, California. Great to work with.

That interior looks really nice. Does the radio still work?
I had no luck! I usually use McGeorge. 30% off and ships from nearby. Yotashop didn't have it. I checked all over.

The interior is nice except the back seat doesn't match. Almost look like couch cushions.
He said the radio might work. An aftermarket radio was stolen and he didn't wire it in after.

The shocks were past it and leaf springs wore out so I bit the bullet and did the OME kit from Cruiser Outfitters
20230126_191747.jpg
20230214_192435.jpg
20230214_192515.jpg

Who is the knuckle alignment expert here?
I might do it again and recheck my numbers, but does this look normal?
OG are the original shims. 1.06 top and 1.06 on the bottom.
20230214_192209.jpg

That looks like a great find! As much as I love my Xtra Cab, I still drool over first gen. 4Runners. I'll definitely be following along!

Where’d you get the injector plugs? I seem to remember all mine cracking last time I took them off.

Where in Va? I’m in the Shenandoah Valley and just got “done” building a 4runner.
In Hopewell. Just south of Richmond. Just did White Rock Falls hike a few weekends ago. Around Sherando lake

Yotashop has the pigtails but I de-pinned them rather than cutting and splicing the wires.

What's weird is when I cross reference that part number on other sites, it says it doesn't fit. Even on Denso's website there is no fuel pump listed for this truck.
Oh well. It worked before so I'm just gonna run the old one.
I'm not trying to get you to buy a new fuel pump but I can confirm that it fits an 85 4runner as I installed it in mine in 2015. It may not be the exact replacement as far as part number but it was easy to make work and is still going strong.

0621151409.jpg

Last edited:
Just finishing up a refresh on my 86 in VA. I’m up north though. Selling it soon probably. I just had the 22RE apart. Did all new gaskets, timing hardware, cleaned injectors, new seals, fan clutch, all new hoses. I’ll follow along here. Mine should be all buttoned up again on Monday.

0ACAB084-6478-46A6-AF49-F4A46C665E5D.jpeg

Home stretch!

Finished up the front end rebuild, lift, and gas tank install. Had 1 injector O-ring spraying so had to take it all apart. But it is running way better than when I bought it. Still haven't driven it other than around the neighborhood before I bought it, and into my shop.
20230218_151301.jpg
20230218_151324.jpg
20230224_201246.jpg

Ride height

I see what look like cross-over steering arms, but the torque rod is still hooked up. With the cross-over steering you need to remove the torque rod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom