Events/Trails 80s on the Ershim (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There's at least 50 hikers that people know of trapped by the fire. they will attempt an evac tomorrow morning. https://www.fresnobee.com/news/california/fires/article245549140.html
Theirs a small group, 3 of my close friends still up there. There plan was to run the trail one day behind us. They towed up Friday nite and started the trail Saturday morning. They are well prepared experienced wheelers and have run the trail before.
When I got back to my tow reg with Steve and his Wife late Saturday nite I was surprised to see there tow regs all lined up next to ours. 1) There original plan was to park there tow regs at the Snow park above Shaver lake. 2) I had hoped they had seen the smoke like us and came back down the mountain.
When I pulled out early Sunday My thought was they Probably made Thompson Lake stayed the nite and would come back down they way they came.
Through the help of Adam @malteserunner and the Dusy Ershim facebook group we learn that they went on to Ershim Lake and were trying to catch up to another group. I believe they were trying to catch up to us even though that was not the original plan.
As of now we have still not heard from them, Last nite I got conflicting stories, Kenn's wife said She heard from a facebook group they were down off the trail but were hold up a Lake Edison as the road down was blocked by the fire, Adam's FB group said they were still up on the mountain.
God send & pray for there safe return

Last edited:
Glad you all made it out safe guys, and thoughts out there for those not yet back in contact.

Tech question: after being side by side across all of your different suspension setups (Dobinson tapered, Tourflex, etc) any takeaways or clear winners on the trail?

Also, would the Eim Keith LLS be of any use on Dusy? I'm eyeing a trip up there depending on fire season and am sitting on 35's.

Having run 6 different spring on the front of my reg I personally like the Dobinson's the best. Currently running the C97-146VTs in the front with The Dobinson Shocks GS45-912s. They offer great flex the best on/off road driving I have experienced. I have the Tourflex TCD-949-2fs in the rear and very happy with them as well. Both sets offer a tall free height ( they don't come unseeded ) and have a lower spring rate witch translates to a smoother ride. They may not be the best for a heavy Reg.
If you ask 6 different people you well get 6 different answers. Springs, spring rates and shocks are very personal. It all comes down to how you like your reg to ride, How you use it, how much lift you want, and how heavy your reg is. ;) just sayin.
Do not under estimated the Dusy, do not go alone, Lockers F/R Winch & armor would be the minimun, 35s would be the smallest tires bigger would be better. I would get upgraded lower control arms or beef up the ones you have before the Keith LLS.
If you fear body damage this is not the trail for you. Everyone in this group sustained body damage, most multiple times.
If you want to test your Reg and your driving ability this trail delivers, It never lets up you have to be on your game the hole Trail.

Last edited:
Theirs a small group, 3 of my close friends still up there. There plan was to run the trail one day behind us. They towed up Friday nite and started the trail Saturday morning. They are well prepared experienced wheelers and have run the trail before.
When I got back to my tow reg with Steve and his Wife late Saturday nite I was surprised to see there tow regs all lined up next to ours. 1) There original plan was to park there tow regs at the Snow park above Shaver lake. 2) I had hoped they had seen the smoke like us and came back down the mountain.
When I pulled out early Sunday My thought was they Probably made Thompson Lake stayed the nite and would come back down they way they came.
Through the help of Adam @malteserunner and the Dusy Ershim facebook group we learn that they went on to Ershim Lake and were trying to catch up to another group. I believe they were trying to catch up to us even though that was not the original plan.
As of now we have still not heard from them, Last nite I got conflicting stories, Kenn wife said She heard from a facebook group they were down off the trail but were hold up a Lake Edison as the road down was blocked by the fire, Adam's FB group said they were still up on the mountain.
God send & pray for there safe return

I sure hope they made it back okay! Keep us posted.

This is just my opinion but good driving will always outdo fancy equipment.. now with that said in my opinion all the truck seemed to work really well but I only drove mine so I can't speak to anybody else's. I have protection on the rear hangers they're not the same ones you linked to, I think I got them from trail Taylor or something like that but they're definitely beat up.

Also I put some angle iron on my rear control arms and their beat to hell as is my rear sway bar my transfer case crossmember and both diffs

This is just my opinion but good driving will always outdo fancy equipment.. now with that said in my opinion all the truck seemed to work really well but I only drove mine so I can't speak to anybody else's. I have protection on the rear hangers they're not the same ones you linked to, I think I got them from trail Taylor or something like that but they're definitely beat up.

Also I put some angle iron on my rear control arms and their beat to hell as is my rear sway bar my transfer case crossmember and both diffs
I would say that fancy equipment well never replace good driving. And that Noah's Reg has everything I suggest you need to run this trail & then some
The best driver would have a hard time getting a stock Reg through this trail. Just saying ;) Love Ya man

Glad you all made it out safely and wishing the best for everyone else on the trail or hiking/camping nearby. Dusy-Ershim is a very isolated trail and all at high elevation (9K+) and even when you make it to Kaiser Pass Rd you’ve got a long way to get to civilization. Plus you can’t just turn right and head to Hwy 395 away from the fire because that road was never completed. Take a look on Google Maps at the fire perimeter now — Creek Fire: 144,000 acres and 0% containment.

20200904_164415.jpg

20200904_163723.jpg

20200904_151314.jpg

20200904_145603.jpg

20200904_144357.jpg

Trees, rocks, and trees. Yup, that’s Dusy. I’ve gone through there with @Cruiserdrew when there’s also snow on the ground and you’re saying “where’s the f..k is the trail?” and all the trees look the same and all the ground is the same. Very easy to get lost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom