Events/Trails 80s on the Ershim (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Broski

I love Wheelin my 80
SILVER Star
Threads
Heading out to Run the Dusy Ershim Trail. With 5 80s all Mud members, Baldilocks, Noahrob, GWnugget, Malteserunner and myself. I well be testing out the new 39s and host of other new up grades. We well all meet up at Voyager Rock camp ground Tomorrow for a 8am departure. Its the 80s on the Ershim Gang
1599162890347.png

Ready to Rock/wheel Hell yeah!!!
1599162912666.png

Have fun, just remember to try to keep the rubber side down!

00C5E2DF-4E3F-47D5-B124-5180232F383A.jpeg
F2CC1379-310B-4C16-960D-501CA70AEFF8.jpeg
We had to make a quick exit as the Creek Fire 🔥 was on us like stink on sh*t.
Its been a long stressful pass 24 hrs, everyone in our group got through and to safely.
I hope everyone else on the trail got out as well.
I just made it back home I need to get cleaned up and some rest. Full report to follow 😳

Last edited:
Did you continue to Huntington or turn back to Courtright? Were you able to get a cell signal to find out where the fire was heading? Kinda tough to make decisions in the backcountry when you don't have info about what is going on. Looks like Huntington in the distance in your first photo. I think that exit is blocked now, as the fire jumped the road between Huntington and Shaver. Over 200 campers were evacuated by Chinook helicopters out of Mammoth Pool reservoir. A lot of them probably lost their cars, RVs , boats and gear.
Glad you guys made it out without issues.

First off,
I would like to say what a solid Group of people to go wheeling with all were well prepared, Regs were well built & prepared. Everyone was willing to help the next reg through the next obstacle, solid wheeler's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1599446096543.png

Smallest tire size was 37s
1599446525535.png

The first part of the trail.
1599446751206.png
1599446843737.png
1599447169406.png

I was rolling solo and did not get as many pictures as I would of liked. And most were taken from the drivers seat.

Super fun trip with nice people. Im kind of over taking pictures in general, but got a few of the fire.

IMG_20200905_204541.jpg

IMG_20200905_172221.jpg

This is what we saw about noon...we left thompson lake about 730am..and I got home at 230am, tired and dirty, with a few more rattles than I started (rear sway bar and exhaust) but safe and sound.

IMG_20200905_125149.jpg

Did you continue to Huntington or turn back to Courtright? Were you able to get a cell signal to find out where the fire was heading? Kinda tough to make decisions in the backcountry when you don't have info about what is going on. Looks like Huntington in the distance in your first photo. I think that exit is blocked now, as the fire jumped the road between Huntington and Shaver. Over 200 campers were evacuated by Chinook helicopters out of Mammoth Pool reservoir. A lot of them probably lost their cars, RVs , boats and gear.
Glad you guys made it out without issues.
Yes we continue to Huntington Lake even through it was obvious we were going closer to the fire, yes that is Huntington in the first photo and were concerned about that exit getting blocked.
No we did not have cell signal, Gary did have a GPS Text device, It is a good thing to have but it was painfully slow to get a reply back, the fire was so new it was hard to get correct information.
There was no denying this huge plume of smoke next to us, and you are absolutely correct it was very hard to make a decision on what to do.
Basically this is how it went down. We woke up early to a beautiful morning at Thompson Lake, I recall smelling a faint bit of smoke as I lied in my sleeping bag well before Sun rise, I had slept under the Stars and was just taking in the nice morning and did not think to much of the smoke as it was so faint.
The plan was to get a early start to Ershim Lake were we had planed on staying two nites,relaxing and taking in the high country.
We were all packed up and on the trail by 7:40am, It was around 10am I had stop to chat with Noah for a minute and he pointed out the smoke. We talked about it on the radio and decided to continue on to Ershim lake.
At the lake we were starting to get replies back on the GPS text but again the info was spotty at best.
By continuing on to the lake it had narrowed our options, We no longer had enough Gas to go back, so it was stay by the lake, or beeline it out of there.
The issue was some of the group thought it was safer to stay at the water and some thought it better to get out well we still had a chance.
We ate lunch as we pondered our options, Yes it was safer at the Lake, but by staying our exit could be cut off, to continue on would mean wheeling into the nite.
In the end we took a vote, it was decided we would continue on. It was after 3pm when we left Ershim lake.
1599493599599.png

We made to the end of the trail by 8:30 PM, We went down to the main road and aired up the tires as fast as we could, We put the extra gas we had in the tanks as we were all running low and we were not sure if there would be gas at that hour in Shaver.
We made our last group stop at the Gas station in Shaver, The guy's that drove there regs filled up with gas and headed for home, Steve and I headed back to our tow regs out on Dinky Creek road. It was after 10pm when we got there the air was clear there was no smoke, I was beat and decided to sleep in my camper and drive home in the morning. Steve and his wife live in Washington so it was camp next to me for the nite or go find a hotel.
They ended up camping there for the nite. We were awaken by thick smoke and ash at 4am the next morning.
We loaded up in the dark as fast as We could and got the hell out of there.
There was now road blocks on Hwy 168 you could only leave you could not come into Shaver.
As I drove the Hwy 41 back to the coast the text messages were coming in on how we had made the right decision to get the hell out of there.
It was a wheeling trip that I well remember for a long time. God send to anyone still stuck up there!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Yeah, like @Broski said, we lost a fair amount of time trying to decide, but better to be aligned than make a rash decision. For me it was easy, I had a passenger and I was taught that if you are the pilot you are responsible for your passengers safety and comfort, hence I almost always defer risky lines and choices like that to them....I'm a knucklehead, if you leave it me I will usually take the dumbest option available ...

View attachment 2427829View attachment 2427828We had to make quick exit as the Creek Fire 🔥 was on us like stink on sh*t.
Its been a long stressful pass 24 hrs, everyone in our group got through and to safely.
I hope everyone else on the trail got out as well.
I just made it back home I need to get cleaned up and some rest. Full report to follow 😳
Glad you all made it out, we got out yesterday morning from Coyote Lake. Had to take a back forest Rte to go around Shaver to get back to the 168. Definitely was a crazy weekend.

The news was saying that in the 200 campers evac'd, there were several with burns and some with broken bones! Life changing weekend for some! Glad you all made it out safe and prayers for all affected by this 🙏

Great shot by Noahrob of Malteserunner and that's GWNugget on the right
1599505220997.png

This trip was amazing. Started out an easy, stress free drive to Courtright Reservoir. Beautiful camping by the water. Met @Noahrob and Dan for the first time. Then @GW Nugget rolled in. @Broski and @baldilocks showed up at 0800 the next morning, and we hit the trail.

20200903_184756.jpg

20200903_185251.jpg

Spent some time at the water with my son Matthew.

20200903_185139.jpg

Two days in, we were faced with the fire. Our intel initially was a 500 acre fire to the west, approximately 5 miles, 0% containment. We decided to get out of dodge.

20200905_190145.jpg

By the time we gassed up in Shaver Lake, around 9 PM, the fire had grown to 36,000 acres.

20200905_204534.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom