$8000 to spend on a 60....what would you do? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey ya'll...it a pretty cruddy move I lost my job today, company is restructuring and my spot was no longer needed; I was laid off. However, I was given a severance of $7600. Not too shabby to someone like me! Now, hopefully within a few weeks, I'll have another job that'll get me by just fine, and this $7600 will just basically become free money for my liking. If so...my FJ60 will get some of those proceeds. Currently...I'm riding stock everything on 32x11.50's...So...what do I do? Play it safe and conservative and go OME Dakar 3" with shackles and 35's, regeared to 4.11 or higher? Or, SOA and run 37's? Should I try and stick an H55F in the mix?

Personally, I'd like to go OME and shackles to get 35's and regear it appropriately. 33's if I should, but preferably 35's. Lockers for sure, front and rear. What would YOU do? Have some fun with me here....cheer me up in my unemployment bliss! This isn't a DD so I can go a little crazy!

everything

SOA with 37's, make em Super Swamper Boggers

Do a front and rear disk brake upgrade

install 4.88 or 5.26 gears

Put in arb air lockers F/R

m10000 with arb front

or you can just give it to me and I'll sup up my rig, hell I'll even let you ride along.:D damn I need to get fired!

I second the sell the 60 and buy an 80 motion.

Buy a DD, some smallish car with good fuel economy. Buy a second 60 for parts. Spring over with 35-36's. Regear to 4.88s and wheel the heck out of it.

Chris

Save the money. For now.

Honestly depends if you want to wheel it or not.

1. Get new job.

If wheeling I would:
2. Major tune up including rebuild carb by Jim C, replace wires, plugs, filters, all fluids, brakes
3. SO with stock springs
4. Re-gear to 4.88s and put on 37's
5. Armour - front ARB, custom rear, and Beedon sliders
6. Locker in the rear

If not wheeling:
2. Sell and buy 80 with lockers and put on OME suspension

HTH,
Mark

import silvia said:
Uh, I would get that new job first and then I third the sell , buy 80 route.

I forth the motion.
Sell the 60 and buy an 80 (with factory lockers).

I have owned both, and would not want to go back.

Building an 80 is cheaper (lift is half as much) and it already comes with lockers (so you don't have to spend the extra). Plus you get coils, newer, less rust problems, and lots more.

Cheers,
Nick

Oh my God. I can't believe how many people are saying buy an 80! WTF mates! I guess it did say what would you do.....

If you sell the 60, buy a BJ60. Screw 80s!

Of course this is just my opinion and I know alot of people like 80s and have both....But an 80 is never going to look as good as a 60 does. period. Might be more comfortable but not at all a classic like the 60s, 55, 45, 40, 25, etc....

But first I say save the money. and open an investment account with half of it, so if you play your cards right when you do go nuts on a cruiser spending spree you will have more $ to throw around.

Have fun, plan it out and good luck! and definitely an H55.

Oh, and definitely not an 80.......

I would do an OME 2.5" lift/35's/extended shackles $2200, stock gears, ARB rear, '99+ 6.0 GM/NV4500/AA kit to stock FJ60 split case conversion.... If you can do the install yourself... shopped around (car-part.com)... you could do it for about $8K. That would be a pretty bad ass ride with nearly 3x the power, at least 2x the torque, better fuel economy, and excellent cold start characteristics.

If funds are left over I'd add: SOA and Longfields $1200ish (clocked front axle) as your front axle probably needs rebuilt sooner vs. later anyway..... and maybe 37's. The deep 5.67/6.1 1st gear ratio of the NV4500 would allow you to run stock 3:70 gears.

Mine is getting an LS1/4L60E sometime this year. I don't wheel hard, but do have fun off road. 12mpg going 65mph and no power is getting old. At 7,000ft altitude in the mountains in 2wd high my truck doesn't like inclines in 1st gear from a stop. Every 1,000ft sucks up approx 5% power I've read. 130hp stock at 7,000ft makes the truck have something like 90hp.....

Last edited:
Buy an 80? Who needs all of those electronics in a 4x4? SOA? Ah! I would sell the FJ60 and buy either a BJ60 or an HJ60. Or, I would consider a 12H-T swap!

That's just me. No big lifts, no electronics. Just enough reliability to get me there and back.

80s are more expensive to lift and more complicated when they break. find a job. soa, 35s, arb f/r lockers, arb bumper with warn winch and regear

only other thing i would think about is a motor swap

save the money and get a new job.

Blowing the money without job security is a high risk gamble. Personally I would get a simular job right away. Then worry about what to do with the money after you have established your self in the company. I saved all my money once and lost my job. It was good to live in while I looked for something else.

WTF late Christmas gift .. !!!!

1. SO + MAF shackle reversal ( keep your sprigns .. at much add a leaf the long ones )
2. 37" for sure . ! nap .. change to 17" and go 38" BFG crawlers
3. 4.88 and Marks underdrive gears
4. ARB front and rear air lockers
5. Boby Long 30 splines cromo set
6. front and rear bull bar, Mile Marker E12000 winch .. !

:bounce: yabadabadu . !!!! :D

Take the 8K and sign yourself up for college! If you are being downsized from your company it may mean your skills are becoming obsolete. Learn somthing new get a MUCH better Much higher paying job, then fix the 60. As Judge Judy says "Beauty fades but dumb is forver"

Dynosoar

Well, I'm a young buck at 26, and I'll be going to school for a long time, I'm somewhere in the middle, but I'll get out someday. I don't anticipate having too much job downtime honestly. I can actually go back to where I was, just a different dept doing a different job that's not as fun, but, it would be work. I'll do that in about a month if I'm not anywhere.

I think getting an 80 would be cool, but, a 60 has more cool points to me, and I already have it. I'm not near skilled enough to do an SOA on my own, so I'd have to have a shop do it. Cruiser Outfitters is right by me so hopefully they could do it for me, that would be great. Then it's 37's and 4.88's with LockRites to find.

This is my play machine, strictly for wheelin'.

I agree to get the job 1st and then spend the $$$. At 26 $8K may sound like a lot of money.... but without a job it goes fast.

Job hunt first before spending any big amount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom